dual sport

If you looking at buying a dual sport you need to give more information in order for anyone to help you.

What kind of riding do you intend on doing?
What percentage of each of these riding terrains do you intent to use the bike for?
Trails, fire road, street,
How much do you intend to spend?
How often do you want to work on the bike?

See what rock said? /\ /\ /\ There are some good ones out there but you need to know what purpose each one has. Lets divide it like this, dirt/street 50/50, 60/40, and even 70/30 Honda 650, Husqvarna 610/630, KTM 690, Kawasaki 650, all depending on the rider. Also (80/20 Suzuki 400.) Look at it this way the bigger and heavier the bike, the less trail/single track worthy it becomes. Like I said, there are guys out there that do it with big bikes and do it well, but they have many years experience behind them also.
Now, you tell us what you intend to use it for, and how much you would like to spend.

See what rock said? /\ /\ /\ There are some good ones out there but you need to know what purpose each one has. Lets divide it like this, dirt/street 50/50, 60/40, and even 70/30 Honda 650, Husqvarna 610/630, KTM 690, Kawasaki 650, all depending on the rider. Also (80/20 Suzuki 400.) Look at it this way the bigger and heavier the bike, the less trail/single track worthy it becomes. Like I said, there are guys out there that do it with big bikes and do it well, but they have many years experience behind them also.
Now, you tell us what you intend to use it for, and how much you would like to spend.

On a lower budget I think the DRZ400S is the way to go.

If you have the money go with a KTM450exc or KTM530exc.

Both of these choices will give you the best of both worlds.

The KTM's are far more trail worthy but I have a DRZ400S and there is not anything a KTM can do that mine won't do. It's all up to the rider.

So, anyway let us know what your intentions are and we can give you much better advice.

On a lower budget I think the DRZ400S is the way to go.

If you have the money go with a Husqvarna TE449 or TE510.

Both of these choices will give you the best of both worlds.

The Husky is far more trail worthy than the KTM's, but I have a DRZ400S and there is not anything a Husky can do that mine won't do. It's all up to the rider.

So, anyway let us know what your intentions are and we can give you much better advice.

Sorry Rock, I had to fix this for you. Are you out of your mind? KTM over Husky, WHY, because KTM has more support? :lol: :lol: KTM :moon:
OK, Highjack over. Just messing with Rock. I own Husky not KTM. :rant: :devil:

Both are great bikes.

Your right on that one! I bent one on my bike. I hope I can straighten it out. It's the mount not the peg, I have pivotpegs. I wish it wasn't part of the frame.

Ok, KTM has a cheaper rear suspension with that old school direct link. :P

bota#55, are you getting all this? :smirk:

thanks guys i am getting all of this. im not sure if i want to sell my crf 450 to get a dual sport or just try to have two bikes. i really like riding desert and some single track. i figure i would be riding the dual sport 70 dirt and 30 street. for the price ill worry about that when i come to it. what do you guys think about the betas?

having two bikes is the way to go. otherwise you are in my situation... when one breaks down you either go without or meet cool people on DBA who MIGHT loan ya a dinosaur :P big thanks TWS :smirk:

thats the boat im in now.

either way im waiting...

1 wait to have all the parts to fix my bike
2 wait to part it out to buy another
3 wait to have all the parts and wait longer to buy another

i am choosing option 3 right now cause i really like my 525 and once i rebuild it at least i will KNOW how many hours are on it. Then one day ill have the money for a D/S

The Beta 520RS is an awesome DS, only problem is the dealer network. Simi Cycles use to carry them and had all the parts, but not anymore. If you find an 09 or older, it will have the KTM RFS motor and you can go to KTM for parts, but Beta came out with their own motor in 2010.

I am leaning to the KTM530exc for my DS/2nd ride. The Husky's are good bikes as well, but I am not a fan of the new look. I had a 05 DR400s and with some mods, it can be a good DS with some decent off-road traits. If you are dumping the CR450 for a DS, I would lean towards a more off-road worthy DS, but what the hell do I know....:prof:

In that case I would recommend the KTM route for many reasons. The RFS motor is proven and very reliable. It fights the myth that KTM's are high maintenance machines. I have many friends with KTM450exc's and a couple of them put 300 hours on a motor before rebuild. I think you would find it to be the best transition between what you ride now and what would be comfortable for you. There are other bonuses such as the 6 speed tranny and the hydraulic clutch. It pretty much boils down to your preference but these are the only bikes I can really comment on besides the DRZ400 which I love but would like a 6th gear and another 15 hp to match the KTM.

What state are you in? You used to be able to plate dirt bikes here in California, but that ended in 2004. In Arizona you can still plate anything, even a quad. If you are in a "friendly" state then plating your current ride is a possibility. It all depends on how much street you want to do. I only do a little and my plated XR gets the job done. It' really nice to know that you can take the road back or ride into town.

Ditto on Cleonard. /\/\/\/\ State you are in would be helpful. you say desert so you must be within the 6 or 7 west coast. If we could in CA, I am not sure what bike I would chose. Pobably a Yamaha 450.