Do you work on your own bike?

Do you work on your own bike(s)?

• Total voters
I do my own four stroke and stroke engine rebuilds, fork rebuilds, and other custom stuff like skidplates and such. Probably the most fancy thing I've done was put an oil cooler on a 4-stroke KX250F. :thumb:

I do my own four stroke and stroke engine rebuilds, fork rebuilds, and other custom stuff like skidplates and such. Probably the most fancy thing I've done was put an oil cooler on a 4-stroke KX250F. :thumb:

Coincidence...ME TOO!...:thumb:

One of my yz490's, I busted 3 gear in a race, took the whole bike apart including the case, been sitting around awhile and a move, putting it back together is going to be fun.:banana:

One of my yz490's, I busted 3 gear in a race, took the whole bike apart including the case, been sitting around awhile and a move, putting it back together is going to be fun.:banana:

That's the part I need to understand better...the more I do my own stuff the more I learn HOWEVER, I'm afraid of making a mistake (wich is normal) however, I don't want my mistake to be a hinderance to anyone else. I know this is a brotherhood of great bonding BUT, that's just me, I hate puttign people out! I did do all my work on my 2t 125 many yarns ago...........................pretty simple, not a lot of crap to mess with. Then again, it seldom broke down so I didn'[t have a lot to do! :smirk:

I used to do rings, pistons, primary chains and more on my old Maicos because they certainly needed all that. As I have gotten a bit older and wiser, :thinking: I think today's bikes are far more tricky for my patience and desire. I change my oil and filters, clean the air filters, change the sprockets and keep them clean but if anything else comes along I take it to the one's who I trust. Have not had to do this in a long time however. :thumb:

I do all my own work from oil to splitting the cases. I dont have too much experience when it comes to fixing my bike. But I am getting there one step at a time, one diagram at a time.....and of course the great help and knowledge that comes from folks like you on these forums! I've rebuilt my top end 95 cr250 with a fresh piston, rings, and gaskets all from reading the manual.....Now splitting the cases for a stripped oil plug, Big Dan (SRAD97750) helped me on tremendously. Dan knows just about everything there is to know about a bike and didn't hesitate to lend me a hand! My truck is the same story...unless special tools are needed that I dont own, or are too expensive to buy. These forums make working on your own junk a whole lot easier! Save yourself a bunch of money by doing so, but most importantly knowing how your shit works....so when it breaks down on the trail (and it will....) you will have a better idea of how to fix it enough to limp home.

I used to do rings, pistons, primary chains and more on my old Maicos because they certainly needed all that. As I have gotten a bit older and wiser, :thinking: I think today's bikes are far more tricky for my patience and desire. I change my oil and filters, clean the air filters, change the sprockets and keep them clean but if anything else comes along I take it to the one's who I trust. Have not had to do this in a long time however. :thumb:

Same here except for my forks...never done forks before...especially inverted. I heard it required a special tool. I wouldn't know what to do without the special tool let alone with it. :shocked:...and now for the JB weld application! WELD AND RIDE :ride:

Yep,absolutely!! I find it hard to trust anyone to fix what I want fixed at a reasonable rate without getting screwed.

I've taken my old worn out xr600's(parts bike now) engine apart a few times to replace a couple of gears in the tranny.A while back I could look at a nut,bolt,screw or seal and tell you exactly where it lived in that engine.BTW,did you know a tranny from a '85 XR600(factory street legal) will drop into an '88(maybe newer too?)XR600? Works great if you use all of the trann'ys parts and not just a couple.

My wifes 660 Raptor (I know...:shocked:) She's uses all gears but only half the throttle (if that)...It sat for too long and now (I think) has carborator issues...it backfires every time you gas it. I tried mixing some cleaner in the gas AND squirting some directly into the carbs but to no avail. Dual carbs...looks like a real PITA...anyone have experience with these?

My wifes 660 Raptor (I know...:shocked:) She's uses all gears but only half the throttle (if that)...It sat for too long and now (I think) has carborator issues...it backfires every time you gas it. I tried mixing some cleaner in the gas AND squirting some directly into the carbs but to no avail. Dual carbs...looks like a real PITA...anyone have experience with these?
Sounds like there are one or more blocked jets.I'm guessing the pilot or slow jet might have some crap in it.My XR350 had a similar prob,ended up removing the carbs & dis-assembling both(one at a time),spraying carb cleaner into every tiny orifice & passageway then blowing it out with a shot of air.After that it started on the second kick & idled great but died when I gave it full throttle...ended up being the float level on the secondary carb(too low & no gas in bowl).