Do you work on your own bike?

Do you work on your own bike(s)?

• Total voters
I hate wrenching!
IMG_1200-1.jpg

Can you tell by the thrilled look on my face? I try to avoid it as much as possible.
IMG_1197-1.jpg

That ktm with standard frame looks easier to work on than the perimeter frame Honda! :)

Believe it or not, that "standard" swingarm on the KTM had to be replaced because of a hole it got in it! I'll keep my beater Honda for now.

ive always done everything on mine.... a few years back i had to take a quad to the suzuki shop to have them pull the magneto... my puller was missing and i needed it done right then... ....they charged me like 40 bucks... i rememberd why i worked on my own schitt then :moon:

I almost always do all my own work. The only things I ever have others do are the big bores (obviously no equipment to do that) and sometimes the tires if i get pissed at them i'll take to a guy i ride with who used to race the local pro level of MX racing since he can do them in a few minutes.

So far with my bike, I have done everything from the top end to the new clutch basket, clutches and tires. Wheel bearings, shock and linkage bearings. I did have my rear shock rebuilt by a shop. I plan on doing everything it ever needs, aside from a few specialty tools I need there isn't too much to these 2 strokes engines that I can't figure out with time, patience and a manual.

I do as much as Im able to. There are some things that I cant do because I dont have all the special tools at the time. If I dont have the special tools it gets sent out. Im a firm believer in having the right tool for the job. Improvised tools sometimes work but typically just end up making the job harder or you end up breaking stuff in the process

James

Staff member
I do as much as Im able to. There are some things that I cant do because I dont have all the special tools at the time. If I dont have the special tools it gets sent out. Im a firm believer in having the right tool for the job. Improvised tools sometimes work but typically just end up making the job harder or you end up breaking stuff in the process
:thumb: I debated for awhile on if it was really necessary to buy a bearing puller to replace my wheel bearings. :lol: Best money I ever spent.

:thumb: I debated for awhile on if it was really necessary to buy a bearing puller to replace my wheel bearings. :lol: Best money I ever spent.

I don't know about wheel bearings, I never had an issue getting them out but damn the linkage bearings where defiantly a PIA to get out with just a hammer and punch.

Having shocks and forks re-valved=yes
Splitting case for interior work=yes
Customizing/fabrication, electrical, maintenance, valves, replace broken shit, tires/tubes/wheel, swing, steering bearings=me
But then again, I have air cooled hondas and newish husky's, so I will probably never need to split cases. they just run forever if you give them new blood transfusions as recommended. :lol:

I think there's a few posers on here that are afraid to admit they take their bike in to be worked on...I will say I use to when I had a 2 stoke...that was easy. With 4 strokes, and I don't care how easy somemay say it is, I prefer not to accept that challenge. Then again, I've yet to have to work on ANY of my bikes...except my current one of which I MAY tear into it myself...nothings broke on it so that's a plus!...seals and gaskets...

I think Rolls needs to change his vote from top end, to everything, since he had his cases split last month. It's funny how you do stuff you'd never attempt, if it means missing a week in the Dez. :smirk:

I voted, "Yes, top end, forks, etc.". Because that is all I have had to do so far. I'm not ruling out if I have to split the cases that I won't do it myself, but not sure just yet. :thinking:

I am however making a custom LED headlight. :blah: