Do you pack Heat?

I had an aquaintance from Kenai Alaska Who took one of the larger bears off of Kodiak. It stood in a bank lobby in Kenai for years. Sometime after that "rifle hunt", he asked the same guide if he would be interested in guiding him again, only this time a bow hunt. The guide told him he would consider it if he could see him shoot in the field, so to come for deer season. The guide ok'd him and they set a time to bear hunt. That time the guide carried a different riifle (45-70 lever action instead of a 458 win bolt). As soon as the guide figured that the bear had taken an arrow that would kill him he shot it between Les's second and third arrow. They were within 25 yards and the bear was quite large. Les said it really didnt help his disappointment to learn that most bears "killed by an arrow" got that same treatment on Kodiak.

I had an aquaintance from Kenai Alaska Who took one of the larger bears off of Kodiak. It stood in a bank lobby in Kenai for years. Sometime after that "rifle hunt", he asked the same guide if he would be interested in guiding him again, only this time a bow hunt. The guide told him he would consider it if he could see him shoot in the field, so to come for deer season. The guide ok'd him and they set a time to bear hunt. That time the guide carried a different riifle (45-70 lever action instead of a 458 win bolt). As soon as the guide figured that the bear had taken an arrow that would kill him he shot it between Les's second and third arrow. They were within 25 yards and the bear was quite large. Les said it really didnt help his disappointment to learn that most bears "killed by an arrow" got that same treatment on Kodiak.

It's an "INSURANCE" shot most likely... my cousin (John.. same guy as ion other story) said they had "downed" a black bear... bigger than the norm, followed the blood trail to the body lying in a stream. As they aproached it was still... Bill, John's Bro-in-law pulled out his .44 pointed it at the bear while John leaned over to "push' on it to check for life... the bear rolled over and swatted John so hard in the chest it knocked him acroos the other side of the stream, Bill put a round into him which stopped him for good.

It's an "INSURANCE" shot most likely... my cousin (John.. same guy as ion other story) said they had "downed" a black bear... bigger than the norm, followed the blood trail to the body lying in a stream. As they aproached it was still... Bill, John's Bro-in-law pulled out his .44 pointed it at the bear while John leaned over to "push' on it to check for life... the bear rolled over and swatted John so hard in the chest it knocked him acroos the other side of the stream, Bill put a round into him which stopped him for good.
Do these need to go into the campfire stories thread? :P

That's up to James and his Mod Squad... Guns led to hunting which led to hunting bear which led to slow clients which led to the bear trying to get even...

So I would say, they fit in here... :smirk:

across*

Carry on..

Yep, if you go back to the very first post on this thread it does mention hunting!! Rez, Les said the bear that was the arrow recipient was up on all 4's and "focusing" on them as the 405 grain slug got launched. Bears are dead long before they know it sometimes.

Yep, if you go back to the very first post on this thread it does mention hunting!! Rez, Les said the bear that was the arrow recipient was up on all 4's and "focusing" on them as the 405 grain slug got launched. Bears are dead long before they know it sometimes.
Are we talking bears or guns? Two of my favorite subjects.

Watch how quick I can go from guns to bears:
I pack heat. Glock 22 and 27. But even when I'm packing heat I practice what some might call "Catch and Release" bear hunting. I guess I need to post a picture.
402036000.jpg