do a need to use clutch going up gears?

Well everyone needs something to think about while they ride. For some people, it is the clutch. It is kind of like when they aren't riding and stress over the type of oil to use!!

I think clutches are great for effect.

I have a fuller 10 speed road ranger that has over a million miles on it, and very few of the shifts made with that one have been with the clutch. I have worked in failure analysis for an Eaton rebuilder and distributor. Bad shifts are bad shifts whether made with a clutch or not. It wasnt even a question we asked, and we probably found as many abused transmissions on one side of that issue as the other PERCENTAGEwise.

Talking about shifting I picked up a 01 yz 250 for my brother in law and it has one problem 5th and 1st gear don't work I don't hear any noise from the tranny I'm thinking it's the clutch were should I start looking

Talking about shifting I picked up a 01 yz 250 for my brother in law and it has one problem 5th and 1st gear don't work I don't hear any noise from the tranny I'm thinking it's the clutch were should I start looking

Definitely not the clutch, there is an internal problem, most likely in the transmission, tear down and inspect is in order.

x2 on it not being the clutch. in that case, NEVER the clutch. We like you, so we aren't going to make fun of you. The next forum may not be like that.

Your only hope if you dont want to split the cases on that one, and it is entirely a SLIM one, is that the acuatiing mechanism on the end of the shift drum is at fault. If it was me, I would buy it based on the idea I was going to tear it all the way down.

to be more accurate, you can shift faster without the clutch, much less time spent with the motor not putting power to the ground :ride:
to be more accurate, you can shift faster without the clutch, much less time spent with the motor not putting power to the ground :ride:
yeh true, while shifting sometimes the clutch is not needed, i guess i was thinking of using clutch in technical sections lol