do a need to use clutch going up gears?

Hi, my bike is: akuma assassin110cc mk2

Now, different people say that i dont need to pull the clutch in going up a gear, only when am going down the gears, and other people tell me i dont need to and that will be fine just use it going down the gears.

Really need to know dont want ma bike to be broken

Hi, my bike is: akuma assassin110cc mk2

Now, different people say that i dont need to pull the clutch in going up a gear, only when am going down the gears, and other people tell me i dont need to and that will be fine just use it going down the gears.

Really need to know dont want ma bike to be broken
Are you still around after your one and only post? My question to you is why is it so hard to simple pull the lever and use the clutch for the most part? :noidea:

SRAD97750

Staff member
Are you still around after your one and only post? My question to you is why is it so hard to simple pull the lever and use the clutch for the most part? :noidea:
My reasons include the clutch being a waste of time and energy in most situations and additional wear and tear on your wear and tear items. Going further for less cost.

Same as using the engine to slow the vehicle Vs the brakes. There are different times when either will be more efficient than the other. Some of us don't care for the brakes when the engine will do.

Standing Vs Sitting. There are times when one or the other is superior based on your riding style.

You know, different strokes for different folks! - BIG DAN:thumb:

Safe? Sorry? Pull your clutch in and push your bike in any gear off the stand, motor off. WOW, what a release right? Now figure that you are doing three other things while you ride and tell me how exact your timing is going to be when you pull it in and shift. If mine was anywhere close to being properly timed it would be because I was riding on a very boring stretch, and doing it in an extra boring manor. Did you ever wonder what good you are really doing?

Adding another hand function to the mix never seemed "safe" to the rider when I have already proven to myself that it isnt dangerous to the transmission to shift it without the clutch. But if you don't have anything else to do while you ride, playing with the clutch handle is ok I guess.

FYI I have a 1987 honda cr 500 that I have had since 1988. It has lived on clutchless shifts and ATF since I owned it. I have had it apart in the last 20 hours. No reason to change my shifting habits.

Just do what you want, and I stand on the no whine no grind comment made earlier.

Last edited:
Ssafe? Sorry? Pull your clutch in and push your bike in any gear off the stand, motor off. WOW, what a release right? Now figure that you are doing three other things while you ride and tell me how exact your timing is going to be when you pull it in and shift. If mine was anywhere close to being properly timed it would be because I was riding on a very boring stretch, and doing it in an extra boring manor. Did you ever wonder what good you are really doing?

Adding another hand function to the mix never seemed "safe" to the rider when I have already proven to myself that it isnt dangerous to the transmission to shift it without the clutch. But if you don't have anything else to do while you ride, playing with the clutch handle is ok I guess.

FYI I have a 1987 honda cr 500 that I have had since 1988. It has lived on clutchless shifts and ATF since I owned it. I have had it apart in the last 20 hours. No reason to change my shifting habits.

Just do what you want, and I stand on the no whine no grind comment made earlier.
true that do what youre confy with

agree whats so hard and or time consuming about pulling the clutch in? Using the engine as brakes seems like way too much wear and tear on the trans.... I really hate the noise it makes and it makes me nervous, but that's just me. learn to love that clutch