Different kind of Build thread

All those little pink flags remind me of the ones my son laid out 3 years ago so he could scrape off the land that he is building the house on that he is going to put me in when I can't work anymore. He put a really nice and livable 600 foot cabin (said cabin has granite counter tops and enough lighting to anneal welds with). Since then we dug a 1200 foot basement and put in 6 inches of insulation and then laid floor heat and covered it with steel and concrete within the footers. 8" foam block forms (way faster than using plywood to build forms) came next and we put 2x12 walls up, beams went in to hold the floor, the floor went on (1200 sq foot upper). that is as far as we got. Then dang it he started moving about 200 miles drive to the north and is having one build for himself since his wife wont wait!! I dont think she wants to live by us.

All those little pink flags remind me of the ones my son laid out 3 years ago so he could scrape off the land that he is building the house on that he is going to put me in when I can't work anymore. He put a really nice and livable 600 foot cabin (said cabin has granite counter tops and enough lighting to anneal welds with). Since then we dug a 1200 foot basement and put in 6 inches of insulation and then laid floor heat and covered it with steel and concrete within the footers. 8" foam block forms (way faster than using plywood to build forms) came next and we put 2x12 walls up, beams went in to hold the floor, the floor went on (1200 sq foot upper). that is as far as we got. Then dang it he started moving about 200 miles drive to the north and is having one build for himself since his wife wont wait!! I dont think she wants to live by us.

She will if and when grand kids arrive.

I think "Dan the mechanic man", is going to meet my friend before long. He is raising a couple of grandkids and step grands. The guy you would have called the most "unlikely to have kids" in hs. Oddly, turns out he is one of the best qualified fathers (got that from his own father). His first wife already had a son. Steve adopted a 4 year old. When that marriage broke, same kid said "Dad, I am living with you!!"

Nice, but you are not going to leave the DA gravel are you?
DA gravel? I am not doing any of it. I would say no. that's just the cut in pour. He will come back with smaller over top.

Now that I think about it, that is just a temporary culvert. He is putting that in just till all the heavy trucks and equipment is done then he has to put a bigger culvert in.

Last edited:
This is sweet JAX. 2.6 acres? How close is the next neighbor? Also that paved road the you turn off into the driveway, is that a street that has main traffic? With all the trees being cleared, when is the enduro course going in? Might as well make good use of them trees and obstacles before you burn them. Have a floor plane of the pad you can share? Garage going to be a bigger square footage then the house?:smirk:

DA gravel? I am not doing any of it. I would say no. that's just the cut in pour. He will come back with smaller over top.

Now that I think about it, that is just a temporary culvert. He is putting that in just till all the heavy trucks and equipment is done then he has to put a bigger culvert in.

DA= Drive Approach. Yah, that culvert didn't look big enough. Temporary is good..

This is sweet JAX. 2.6 acres? How close is the next neighbor? Also that paved road the you turn off into the driveway, is that a street that has main traffic? With all the trees being cleared, when is the enduro course going in? Might as well make good use of them trees and obstacles before you burn them. Have a floor plane of the pad you can share? Garage going to be a bigger square footage then the house?:smirk:
Currently the closest house is about 200 yards up and accoss the road. The street ends about 400 feet after my drive into a court. My house will be the last on the road till someone else buys and builds. Just a normal attached garage I do have the whole walk out basement. :smirk: after I pay off my other property a toy garage will be built:prof: