Desert riding and air filters

About a month ago up in Mammoth I was riding with a large group and conditions were very dusty. I ended up using gas because it is all we had and it worked really, really well! But I was wondering how if at all it affected my no-toil system and applying no-toil oil after using the gasoline to clean it. What do you think? would it make a difference? Because I hear if you use no-toil system you have to stay with it. But filter oil is filter oil...or is no-toil different? different as in it's made to clean off easier and specifically for no-toil cleanser? I always feel so silly talking tech...because I dont know jack.

Sorry SUN, I can't answer that for ya...I've never strayed from the old method....What kind of "feel" does no toil have? is it thin, slick, ???

Sorry SUN, I can't answer that for ya...I've never strayed from the old method....What kind of "feel" does no toil have? is it thin, slick, ???

Hell I dont know! Pretty thin but Im not sure, I've only used the spray on before I started using no-toil. I liked the spray because I think it is easier to apply it evenly.

Hell I dont know! Pretty thin but Im not sure, I've only used the spray on before I started using no-toil. I liked the spray because I think it is easier to apply it evenly.

The reason I ask is I fugure if it doesn't seem to work well in dusty conditions maybe it's not coating well enough (too thin)...I covered mine as usual then just out of curiosity I blew through and still felt air so I guess it's working...PLUS my engine is still ok! Sucker leaks like a sieve but it runs strong!

From what I have learned and read. No-toil is designed to be cleaned with the cleaner. However I don't think gas would bother it at all. The No-toil is pretty light and No-toil actually recommends a special filter for fine dirt. I'm going back to using regular oil.

From what I have learned and read. No-toil is designed to be cleaned with the cleaner. However I don't think gas would bother it at all. The No-toil is pretty light and No-toil actually recommends a special filter for fine dirt. I'm going back to using regular oil.

:thumb: use it sparingly though...don't OVER apply it! It could clog the pores!

no toil is a veg based oil vs petro based oil for the others. They dont mix. So you are supposed to keep the filters oiled and cleaned with the proper and different products.
I had a used filter I got that looked good, but was dirty. I tried cleaning it with solvent, but it just wouldnt come clean. It stayed dark and greasy feeling. It hit me on the second attempt that maybe it had no toil on it. I used soap and water and it came out clean as new. I threw it in the trash. I used no toil in the past and had fine gritty dirt/dust in the air boot. I have seen thru the years on the net about this fine dust or when the filter gets real dirty or real wet it then lets dirt thru. So I quit using it.

no toil is a veg based oil vs petro based oil for the others. They dont mix. So you are supposed to keep the filters oiled and cleaned with the proper and different products.
I had a used filter I got that looked good, but was dirty. I tried cleaning it with solvent, but it just wouldnt come clean. It stayed dark and greasy feeling. It hit me on the second attempt that maybe it had no toil on it. I used soap and water and it came out clean as new. I threw it in the trash. I used no toil in the past and had fine gritty dirt/dust in the air boot. I have seen thru the years on the net about this fine dust or when the filter gets real dirty or real wet it then lets dirt thru. So I quit using it.

Hmmmm....:thinking:I just may stop using it then.

Hmmmm....:thinking:I just may stop using it then.

It definitely doesn't sound like something for our conditions.....

Well last night I bought some PJ1 Airfilter cleaner and oil. Damn that stuff is sticky. Took my uni apart and sprayed it then sprayed the outside foam. Put it back together and man I had strings of oil coming off it everytime I moved my hand. I think this will be some good stuff.:thumb: Instead of taking this much further I'm going to start a new thread on airfilter cleaning.

Well last night I bought some PJ1 Airfilter cleaner and oil. Damn that stuff is sticky. Took my uni apart and sprayed it then sprayed the outside foam. Put it back together and man I had strings of oil coming off it everytime I moved my hand. I think this will be some good stuff.:thumb: Instead of taking this much further I'm going to start a new thread on airfilter cleaning.
When I was using spray oil in the past I started pulling a rubber glove up over the can so when I was done handling it with my sticky rubber gloves I could toss it all and the can would stay clean. I dont know about you but the 1st time I used it I kept picking the can up and spraying a little more here and there and soon had that sticky crap all over the can.

When I was using spray oil in the past I started pulling a rubber glove up over the can so when I was done handling it with my sticky rubber gloves I could toss it all and the can would stay clean. I dont know about you but the 1st time I used it I kept picking the can up and spraying a little more here and there and soon had that sticky crap all over the can.

I didn't touch the filter with the hand that had the can but man my other hand could sure use a rubber glove. That is a good idea putting it on the can though. I will keep that one in my bag of tricks.

+1 on the PJ1. It's the filter oil that I have settled on.

I use heavy duty gloves when cleaning and oiling filters. Thin rubber gloves jut can't take the solvents.

http://www.labsafety.com/Best-Black-Knight-PVC-Coated-Gloves_24547000/
Best-Black-Knight-PVC-LSS-_i_LB23162.jpg

James

Staff member
Do you all grease the filter before you install it. With the new cages is it necessary?
I've hear both sides of the argument and I've never heard of it hurting it, (Putting it on that is) which is why I do.
What kind of "feel" does no toil have? is it thin, slick, ???
If you forget to shake it before you use it, it will separate and become very thin, otherwise it's pretty tacky.