Desert riding and air filters

Well the best answer is it depends. I try to change it when it needs it. It all has to do with the dust factor and terrain. Riding sand? You might need to change a couple of times a day. Trail riding and riding out front? Once a month.

I can sometimes go a couple of three day weekends, and sometimes only a couple of days. I don't like riding in dust so I just hang back.

Well I can't give a perfect answer on this but I know I'm looking into a new filter or something. I clean it after everytime we ride. (Unless there is not dust) After this last ride though I'm not happy with what I found. I used a UNI with No-toil and used lots of grease and found that after my last ride there was really fine dust getting past it.:foul: I'm going to look at getting one of the fine filters for my bike and probably ditch the No-toil.:rolleyes:

Well I can't give a perfect answer on this but I know I'm looking into a new filter or something. I clean it after everytime we ride. (Unless there is not dust) After this last ride though I'm not happy with what I found. I used a UNI with No-toil and used lots of grease and found that after my last ride there was really fine dust getting past it.:foul: I'm going to look at getting one of the fine filters for my bike and probably ditch the No-toil.:rolleyes:

I have found the same light dust with twin air and no-toil:cry: The no-toil is sooo easy to use I hate to ditch it but when the can is empty bye bye

James

Staff member
I have found the same light dust with twin air and no-toil:cry: The no-toil is sooo easy to use I hate to ditch it but when the can is empty bye bye
I also use the No-Toil system, but I haven't had any problem with it. Granted I don't ride desert or in really dusty conditions.

Oh and I generally clean mine after 1-2 hrs of riding, which means about after every ride.

Oh that makes me so mad. I was told it was the greatest stuff since Toilet Paper. So before I rode my new bike I changed filters and oiled the filters. Then to find that I was not happy!:rant::foul:

thats the problem with no toil, fine dust gets thru, if you only ride prepped tracks or in the wet its ok, but if you ride in the dust it is killing your motor.

I havent heard this before. Hmmm...are you sure? I run the no-toil and Im kind of bummed to hear this.

Oh that makes me so mad. I was told it was the greatest stuff since Toilet Paper. So before I rode my new bike I changed filters and oiled the filters. Then to find that I was not happy!:rant::foul:

You toiled your filters.....

I've never had a motor fail me after performing the "old school" methods of which some of you may give me :thumb: and others :thumbsdown:. Filters are cleaned with small amount of gas to cut through all the previous applied oils and grease...followed by a rinse with hot water, rung out then air dried. Once it's dry I apply a small amount of "thin" motor oil (2 stroke if it's available) by pouring it into my hand ringing my hands with it then wiping the filter and skin with it...Apply grease to the back side of the filter where it seats in the box and your done. :prof:

You toiled your filters.....

I've never had a motor fail me after performing the "old school" methods of which some of you may give me :thumb: and others :thumbsdown:. Filters are cleaned with small amount of gas to cut through all the previous applied oils and grease...followed by a rinse with hot water, rung out then air dried. Once it's dry I apply a small amount of "thin" motor oil (2 stroke if it's available) by pouring it into my hand ringing my hands with it then wiping the filter and skin with it...Apply grease to the back side of the filter where it seats in the box and your done. :prof:

About a month ago up in Mammoth I was riding with a large group and conditions were very dusty. I ended up using gas because it is all we had and it worked really, really well! But I was wondering how if at all it affected my no-toil system and applying no-toil oil after using the gasoline to clean it. What do you think? would it make a difference? Because I hear if you use no-toil system you have to stay with it. But filter oil is filter oil...or is no-toil different? different as in it's made to clean off easier and specifically for no-toil cleanser? I always feel so silly talking tech...because I dont know jack.

Do you all grease the filter before you install it. With the new cages is it necessary?

I have an old bike so I'm not aware how newer bikes filters fit.......My filter overhangs the back side of the cage so it sits against the back side of the filter box so YES, I do grease mine!