Decisions !

Hi guys, this is my first thread so.. Wondering if you could answer my Qs.. What would be the better bike between a 2nd hand 06 Honda crf250r, and a 2nd hand 2010 KTM 250 sxf ? And is the KTM more fuel efficient than the Honda ? Thanks

James

Staff member
Hi guys, this is my first thread so.. Wondering if you could answer my Qs.. What would be the better bike between a 2nd hand 06 Honda crf250r, and a 2nd hand 2010 KTM 250 sxf ? And is the KTM more fuel efficient than the Honda ? Thanks
What kind of riding will you be doing?

I see that you're in England, are KTM parts about the same price as the other brands? Over here in the states they're usually a bit more which could sway your decision some.

Also welcome to Dirt Bike Addicts, Joel. :cheers:

Welcome:wave: :ride:

Theres going to be alot of KTM guys flood through here and tell you that KTM .......is it... Look passed them.. and then make a decision:P

the better bike is usually the one in better condition and price in the mix. The KTM is a great bike, dont know about the Honda. Hondas have valve issues and take more maintenance due to that. Other than that it may go to the condition and price.

Sorry for the late reply.. Um well I'v got a fair bit of land so lots of space for some decent tracks and "bomb it straights" haha ! Yeah in the UK the KTM parts are more dosh, for the honda a piston change is looking at about £200 so $326 i think. Dunno bout the KTM though.. With fuel rates being quite high I was wondering is the KTM was more efficient than the Honda? The Honda is £2150 and the KTM is £3995 so i was wondering if in long term i'd get that back in comparison with the crf.. The Honda is old but has all the signs of a well looked after bike, recent piston change and valve clearence check, very sound. The ktm nearly looks new ! Had a chain replaced, but gearbox and engine very sound, nice rockstar graphics too :wink:.. Thanks for the welcome ! Cheers :thumb:

But my main concern is fuel.. You probably picked that one up somewhere along the line haha ;]. I'd be very greatful if anybody could tell me which one will use the fuel more efficiently, and figures would be GREAT ! Thanks a load :thumb:

James

Staff member
But my main concern is fuel.. You probably picked that one up somewhere along the line haha ;]. I'd be very greatful if anybody could tell me which one will use the fuel more efficiently, and figures would be GREAT ! Thanks a load :thumb:
I honestly think that the fuel would be of a lesser concern/expense. Fuel mileage has a lot to do with how you ride, for example if you shift earlier (lower rpm) or not. Also if you cruise/ride at a lower rpm.

BTW what are gas prices over there? My area is currently $4.15 per gallon.

Hard to say which is more fuel efficient because mostly depends on how far you like to twist the throttle. :ride: Most of us boys out here don't worry about fuel too much, we just get bigger tanks. :thumb: I personally would go with the bike in better condition and I hope it is the KTM. :smirk:

if you are concerned with fuel it doesnt matter which 250 you get they are all near wide open and all use right around the same size carb, if you wanna get a good estimate on fual usage look at the gas tank's size, all of the tanks on MX bikes are designed to go ~40 miles (or ~64Km) give or take a bit depending on jetting and how hard you are on the throttle.

Wow! I think you are first member from across the puddle! Welcome!

Very interesting question now that we know condition and prices for each. The KTM is ~nearly~ twice the cost of the Honda.

>>The KTM is 4 years newer and comes with lots of top of the line parts as standard.
>>The difference in price is great enough to say that you can put a lot of rebuilds, maintenance, and upgrades on the Honda before you reach the cost of the KTM.
>>Given comparable fuel capacities, I would say the difference in miles per gallon is negligible.
>>It sounds like you will be kickin' it on your own property, not racing competitively, (I don't know?) so which bike suits the land you will ride on and your style? It sounds like a full-on MX bike might not be what you need in the first place.
>>KTM parts will always be more money than Honda parts. And they are harder to work on if you do your own wrenching.

I'm a Honda guy. Given the two choices and what you have said so far, I would say, "Neither!" I would look for KTM EXC if I had all kinds of land to ride at my disposal. If you want the full MX bike, and you can do your wrenching, the Honda makes more sense economically. If you have ton of quid, and want the best bike, I'd get the KTM. :ride:

Actually I have found my ktm to be easier to work on than any of our Japanese bikes (5). Oem ktm is much higher than oem honda, but aftermarket is about the same....

Ok thanks, yeah the KTM has a 40% bigger tank than the Honda. Since you said all designed to do the same distance, correct me if I'm wrong but does that mean the KTM uses more, or is it acctualy designed to go further ? And another thing i heard is that apparently even though an MX bike, sxf has a bit of an enduro twist about it, being great for the track, but also capable elswhere. Im imagining capabilities to co further but I don't realy know as the review didn't realy explain. And for James sorry I couldn't get fuel prices for here over the pond but I'l get back to you on that one, I'l check em soon. Yea the Katoom is lighter, better performing, 40% bigger tank, an extra gear in the box, but a lot more money :shocked::cry: ! Have to admit though, it's in great nick, better condition than th Honda which has a cracked clutch housing, could one of you guys tell me how to put pictures up (if you can) because I have 3 pics of each bike if that would help you guys.:thumb:

Haha woo first Brit :P !! Uum not quite sure what oem is ? Could you remind me ? No, no racing, just havin a tooon load of fun in fields (will actualy be building my own track !!), i did look at the exc-f (it looked like the perfect bike for me, but couldn't find a 'cheap one' (if cheap ktms exist..)) ! But i cant find any in my area 'within budget' if you get what im saying.. Yes im looking at this 'katoom' cos its the best condition 2nd hand one, and the cheapest ktm i can find in my area. So the Honda is more ecconomic then ?
:thumb:

Yeah thanks for the addvice and feedback Buckrun, appreciate it :thumb:!
So in a way, the ktm needs half the maintenance, but each time is twice the money. The honda sounds a bit more economic since it has 40% less fuel tank and ment to do the same distance. But it is old, so i was wondering if the Honda would still be good by todays standards ??
Aparently to the dealer, if you were to ride them back to back, the old red would feel heavy.

And also i like to ride with my revs reasonably low quite often, but of course often goin for a quick 'bomb' in the straighs and roosting corners haha ! So I was wondering if they had good punch off of the bottom ? Apparently the ktm just gives good horsepower all around the revs, and keeps giving up high where the japanese bike would be praying for another gear ! But yeah do the ol honda have issues then ?
:thumb: