I just bought a 2006 Rmz 450 and I take it out for a ride and their is oil leaking out of the cylinder head so I take the head apart to find that the head bolts are not stock and heli-coiled to fit the smaller bolt! So I get the bolts out and take the cam cap out and then I purchased the original bolts and a new heli coil kit to fit the new bolts but when I put it all back together the intake side bolt is hitting the cam shaft and not allowing it to tighten the gasket down all the way! I purchased new intake cam cap after it cracked and now I just need to know if I need to shorten the bolts so they tighten down all the way or do I have bigger problems?
image.jpeg

If you aren't missing something and the bolts are right the cover conceivably could be damaged. Does it look like it is designed to bottom against the boss the bolt threads into?

With the cam cover being cracked, I would assume it has been this way awhile and could have damaged the cam itself as well. Most parts drawings show the bolt sizes and lengths.

Paw Paw

Last edited: