All Cougar Buttes 5-7 (near apple valley)

Whenever JV is spoke of, it is normally in direct correlation with the "Hammers". It is not a big name OHV spot that is well advertised. There is no official map of the trails throughout CB. Hell its even hard to find any information regarding the place on the net! I have only been able to find GPS coords for one trail (Bull Frog). Point being, this may be a well known place to some (and if thats the case, please come on out and show me around!) but to the majority Johnson Valley generally refers to the Hammers trails. Also, to my understanding these trails were legally allowed until about 3 or 4 years ago....right? Granted most of my knowledge about JV comes from the truck community.

I agree with you on that point, the 4 wheel crawlers hit the Hammers 95% of the time when JV is mentioned. But when you're talkng 2 wheels, I think the Western edge, over to Soggy are the favorite spots. :thumb:

What do we know about the closures out there? Are there dates set by the military or is it still being discussed?

They (Marines) are still taking comment letters until May 26th. Expect a decision of what they are going to do, at the end of this year.

What do we know about the closures out there? Are there dates set by the military or is it still being discussed?
https://www.dirtbikeaddicts.com/forum/west/2453-johnson-valley-eis.html
http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164303&highlight=johnson+valley
I agree with you on that point, the 4 wheel crawlers hit the Hammers 95% of the time when JV is mentioned. But when you're talkng 2 wheels, I think the Western edge, over to Soggy are the favorite spots. :thumb:
Good to know! I can't wait to explore this area on two wheels.

It is the "closer" spot for most, CB is a nice place to camp because of the rocks, but the good stuff is out by Anderson dry lake (except for that short gnarly rocky downhill by 4ever rock).

Wise man.

This trip is next week...but stay tuned as I might have to push the dates back on this one a bit. Had a bit of a snafu today while replacing my timing belt and water pump. To make a long story short, my truck isn't moving until a replacement part arrives.

Whenever JV is spoke of, it is normally in direct correlation with the "Hammers". It is not a big name OHV spot that is well advertised. There is no official map of the trails throughout CB. Hell its even hard to find any information regarding the place on the net! I have only been able to find GPS coords for one trail (Bull Frog). Point being, this may be a well known place to some (and if thats the case, please come on out and show me around!) but to the majority Johnson Valley generally refers to the Hammers trails. Also, to my understanding these trails were legally allowed until about 3 or 4 years ago....right? Granted most of my knowledge about JV comes from the truck community.

PLEASE STAY TUNED AND OBSERVE THE FIRST POST, AS THE DATES MAY NEED TO BE CHANGED

All the national enduros and other AMA events along with the truck and buggy races are held out by Cougar buttes, Soggy and camp rock rd. most of the campers coming out of the LA or or Inland area camp out at the buttes,soggy and camp rock. In fact unless you live up off the 10 south of the 15-215 or have a rock crawler must folks end up at said areas.
I'd like to ride with ya. My knowledge ogf the area is small in contrast to the size of the area but I don't think I could get lost. :smirk:
Gotta work Saturday though ! :cry: Sundays I hide from the :devil: :lol:

http://www.duneguide.com/sand_dune_guide_johnson_valley.htm

http://www.ohvguide.com/maps/johnsonvalley.htm

I just moved to the IE about 7 months ago from SD, so I am still not familiar with all the areas around here....yet

The timing gear arrived last night. Assuming everything goes as planned, I should have her put back together tonight. Hopefully...

Does anyone have any interest in riding the buttes tomorrow? Or should I push the dates back on this till the 21st? If i push the dates, I will more than likely ride Baldy Mesa or Sliverwood->arrowhead.....closer to home and safer for a solo ride.

UPDATE: 8:40 PM
timing belt is coming along smoothly. Hard part is over. Should be up and running in a hour or so. At which time I will update this. Does anyone have any interest in riding the buttes tomorrow? Dan? Anyone. I don't want to go solo. But I need to get on two wheels. Temp looks decent.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Dude, I want to go, but I have so many chores this weekend. I will make a plan to ride with you next. I need to get mikes bike back together... :blush: -BIG DAN

1221 AM, job complete. I am still going, regardless if anyone is going to join. Ill be getting up around 8(putting me at CB around 1030). If you catch this last minute ride and care to join, send me a pm with your number and ill give you a buzz in the morning. Ill be sure to check this one last time before kick stand goes up, and i hit the dirt.

Dude, I want to go, but I have so many chores this weekend. I will make a plan to ride with you next. I need to get mikes bike back together... :blush: -BIG DAN

lol. alright man. if you need a hand give me a shout. otherwise we will figure something out sometime soon....hopefully.

You guys missed out. :P Temp was perfect. Bit windy, but not too bad. Spent a little bit of time in CB, but soon realized i was in over my head for a solo ride. I then headed towards Soggy Lake. Got a better feel for the area, but there is still lots to be explored.

p.s. the new bark busters held up great! laid her down once trying to climb a rock that was just a tad too steep for me. Saved myself a clutch lever, already paying for itself!

224639_224084434275172_100000208522555_1058028_6662649_n.jpg

SRAD97750

Staff member
Nice. I'm glad you got busters. They will be paid for by your next ride!!!
Looks like some cool terrain. I have been checking the area out on youtube.
Let's ride. -BIG DAN