All Cougar Buttes 5-7 (near apple valley)

Been too long since I have hit the dirt on two wheels. Did a bunch of work on the truck, and naturally had to break in all the new gear. While doing so I stumbled into my new favorite playground, Cougar Buttes. This place is one giant rock garden. Then I got to thinking how much fun and challenging it would be on two wheels! Well I finally got some bark busters on (tired of replacing levers on the trail) and can't think of a better way to break them in. I am no expert rider, but I am more than eager to give it a shot out here. Anyone is welcome to join, but know what you are getting into before coming out. If shit gets over my head, theres plenty of wide open desert to explore with a bunch of single track shit scattered around. To give you an idea of the terrain, I have included some pictures from the last few times I have been out there. This will be my first time out there on the bike, so this is more of a scouting mission. Come get lost with me!

When: Saturday 5-7-11
ATTN: There is a very high chance that I will need to push the date for this ride back 2 weeks. Ran into a bit of a problem today while replacing my timing belt and water pump. What was suppose to be a easy 5 hour job took me for a spin. Had to take my friend to the hospital because the crankshaft pulley (15/20 lbs) landed on his face. Come to find out later the crankshaft timing gear had lost a tooth. I am now waiting for the replacement part to arrive. I will update this thread as things unfold.

Where : Cougar Buttes Click For Map

IMAG0022.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

And because video makes it that much better :P
mute, and add your own soundtrack...not my editing

SICK. Lets go riding. Is it a green sticker legal area? Part of JV? -BIG DAN:thumb:
As far as I know it is green sticker legal. It is still part of Johnson Valley (Just the far west side where no one normally goes)

Good video of some precision driving. I love it out there!:banana: What tire pressure do you run doing that?
Thanks man. I normally run about 15 psi when I am crawling.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Mike is putting his bike back together today. We should be able to ride soon. 2 weeks sounds good. I have had to cancel all my other trips... -BIG DAN

As far as I know it is green sticker legal. It is still part of Johnson Valley (Just the far west side where no one normally goes)

Alot of people go to the Buttes. We did Thanksgiving there most every year for a while. It' a big trials bike spot, and great for rock climbing, when the kids aren't riding while camping. They've put in some vault restrooms too, for the females, and those AM post coffee needs. If you head North from CB towards Anderson Dry, thre is some National H&H calliber single track, that can really kick your arse. :devil:

We just camped at Cougar Buttes last weekend for the National Hare and Hound. Beautiful area to camp and ride, but it was a touch on the windy side.

BTW...is that Jesus or a wise man in the back of one of those trucks I see? :lol:
Wise man.
Mike is putting his bike back together today. We should be able to ride soon. 2 weeks sounds good. I have had to cancel all my other trips... -BIG DAN
This trip is next week...but stay tuned as I might have to push the dates back on this one a bit. Had a bit of a snafu today while replacing my timing belt and water pump. To make a long story short, my truck isn't moving until a replacement part arrives.
Alot of people go to the Buttes.
uhhhh Ok ? :thinking: :smirk:
Whenever JV is spoke of, it is normally in direct correlation with the "Hammers". It is not a big name OHV spot that is well advertised. There is no official map of the trails throughout CB. Hell its even hard to find any information regarding the place on the net! I have only been able to find GPS coords for one trail (Bull Frog). Point being, this may be a well known place to some (and if thats the case, please come on out and show me around!) but to the majority Johnson Valley generally refers to the Hammers trails. Also, to my understanding these trails were legally allowed until about 3 or 4 years ago....right? Granted most of my knowledge about JV comes from the truck community.

PLEASE STAY TUNED AND OBSERVE THE FIRST POST, AS THE DATES MAY NEED TO BE CHANGED

What do we know about the closures out there? Are there dates set by the military or is it still being discussed?

The closure is only proposed and they are still having hearings on it.

The area is a legal OHV area. It is well marked and open to all. There are no trail markers per se, not like a state OHV area.