2 Stroke Cool Heads for your CR500?

No. I would much rather pay to have my current cylinder head worked. I do not like the idea of there being two sealing points. Basically, two O-rings vs. one gasket. Maybe they work great :noidea:. If you buy one, please post if you like it or not. :thumb: To be honest I do not even know anyone who has tried one. By the way that is a SWEET CR500. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :rocker:

I see you have a PC. pipe on her. Try this next time you purchase a pipe for that thing. Bill's pipe works so much better. I believe you may like it. I have used the PC. and FMF pipes before I bought the Bill's pipe. Both FMF and Bill's out perform the PC. pipe. Give it a try if you do not like it sell it on E-bay.

Yes Im thinking about changing the pipe, they are hard to come by in Peru and shipping costs are a nightmare. Im traveling to the US on the 24, think customs will notice it when I come back:)?
Hey what do you use for transmission oil? Im over due for a change, I thing the manual says 10w40 motor oil...I lost it and forgot!

SRAD97750

Staff member
Be sure when, changing fluid type, to fully flush the transmission prior to running it. You do not want contaminated/mixed fluids.

ATF isn't for everyone, but I like it alot. Some people/bikes prefer a JASO rated motor or gear oil. -BIG DAN:thumb:

The replaceable domes are great if you have a need for it. I sure would not buy it because they are "cool."

The utility is when you operate with widely varying conditions. I had them in my jet ski. It was quick 10 minute operation to swap out the domes. The matching carb jetting changes took longer. I had a high compression set that I used when at altitude. It helped recover some of the lost power at 7000 feet.

I never had a sealing issue, but I pretty much swapped out the o-rings every time it was apart.

My kid has the cool heads on his 85.... I didn't notice anything temp wise or performance wise other than when we switched to race gas I switched the insert in the head and he said it had more snot coming out of the corners....

As for tranny fluid Chankry you might be better off with the Rotella 15w40.... you do long rides through tough terrain, correct?
If I remember correctly your last one was 500 miles??? so Rotella would fit your bill

Thx for the input on the heads....Im putting that on hold for the moment until I do more research.

Yesterday I did a 2 hour long ride of sand; climbing long dunes, wide open throttle parts and slow technical stuff as well. I hit the dirt only twice, I have noticed a substantial improvement in my riding since I lost some weight, and since I switched to articulated boots.

I notice the slow stuff is really hard when you have to manage balance, braking with foot and hand brake, throttle and clutch feathering....all while remembering to press your legs when jumping a ditch or a small obstacle that leads up to a climb. The bike sure doesn't like being on low revs and stalling is an issue, Im looking into a rekluse, but I feel like its cheating:) Any way Im in it for the fun and kicking the beast in the middle of the desert at 40 Celsius after an hour of riding is not that fun....

I will check into the Rotella thx for the tip!

Be sure when, changing fluid type, to fully flush the transmission prior to running it. You do not want contaminated/mixed fluids.

ATF isn't for everyone, but I like it alot. Some people/bikes prefer a JASO rated motor or gear oil. -BIG DAN:thumb:
When using ATF should the oil be changed more often? Plus I was wondering does it cause the motor to run hotter?

SRAD97750

Staff member
When using ATF should the oil be changed more often? Plus I was wondering does it cause the motor to run hotter?
Actually, in my relatively short experience, ATF has lasted alot longer than these "premium" motor oils. In my bikes specifically.
I get about 7-10 hours on Rotella before I can tell it's lost it's luster. Which is about 2-3 rides.
I remember going months on ATF, and only changed it because it had been so long.
I don't think it runs any hotter, ATF is made for clutch and gear type pressures.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Actually, in my relatively short experience, ATF has lasted alot longer than these "premium" motor oils. In my bikes specifically.
I get about 7-10 hours on Rotella before I can tell it's lost it's luster. Which is about 2-3 rides.
I remember going months on ATF, and only changed it because it had been so long.
I don't think it runs any hotter, ATF is made for clutch and gear type pressures.
Hmmm only 7hrs.... I get much more even on the 4poke

Sounds good I will give it a try. thanks. :thumb: