Chevy K-10 problems

Worked most all the day on the truck today with my friend. We started out with draining the trans pan, all fine and dandy. Then we started cleaning the pan and the gasket. The gasket pretty much fell apart when we were wiping it down. So we went up to the local garage down the street and asked him some questions. He sent us down the road a little to a guy who does transmission work for the gasket. I asked him if he had a TH400 pan gasket and he came down with it. It looked a little odd, and we told him it wasn't the right one, so he came down with a TH350 gasket. Sure enough, that was it. Aint that some BS? The guy I bought it from told me it was a TH400, and of course I never looked. Back at home, we looked at the bell housing a little bit more and found that none of the holes were lined up. Pulled that sucker off and yep, wrong part. Which aint too big of a deal, but what I'm concerned about is there was a little bit of oil in there. When we first took off the trans pan, all the screws were at finger tightened tight, so I'm hoping that some of that oil just seeped in there. We put everything on, minus the bell housing cover, and started filling the trans back up. More leaking, but it was from a hole in the filler tube. We just went ahead and called it a day and we'll be back to it this weekend or tomorrow. We'll hit up the junkyard and pull some parts we need.

I never did get to check for why it's grinding. I don't really have a set answer for what I'm supposed to check for.

attachment.jpg

attachment-1.jpg

I filled her up with trans and motor oil and put back on that bellhousing cover, just until I get a new one. Started her up and messed with the t-case shifter and sure enough, that was it! Thanks Kyle! :thumb:

I'm still going to trade to a Ford. :smirk:
I'll hit up the junkyard next weekend to have her ready for sale.

Light duty front

imagesqtbnANd9GcREdxaCGgjXe95-_AgJREeAmqBS893vMa1ss7GQq3OFEFMYEBfYcg.jpg

Heavy duty front

360350424616_0.jpg

You cant really tell by the pictures... But .. The light duty will probably bee the same size as the ones on your chevy... Couple be the same exact ones also.. (interchangeable)

Light duty rear

140.jpg

Medium duty rear

95_f250_rear_axle_275_e_wenatchee_22097219.jpg

Heavy duty rear... (notice the lug studs are longer and the part where the axle bolts in at is longer)

imagesqtbnANd9GcSXN0lwG7aMqvBK--786AxmQdLc8HmFWgZ0SxVH4yhQeb8Abujz.jpg

Light duty front

imagesqtbnANd9GcREdxaCGgjXe95-_AgJREeAmqBS893vMa1ss7GQq3OFEFMYEBfYcg.jpg

Heavy duty front

360350424616_0.jpg

You cant really tell by the pictures... But .. The light duty will probably bee the same size as the ones on your chevy... Couple be the same exact ones also.. (interchangeable)

Light duty rear

140.jpg

Medium duty rear

95_f250_rear_axle_275_e_wenatchee_22097219.jpg

Heavy duty rear... (notice the lug studs are longer and the part where the axle bolts in at is longer)

imagesqtbnANd9GcSXN0lwG7aMqvBK--786AxmQdLc8HmFWgZ0SxVH4yhQeb8Abujz.jpg

Wait, are they front hubs locking hubs like in the picture? :noidea:

:thumb: thanks a lot though! From the picture, it looks like a medium, like you said.

For everyone else not in chat, I'm looking at buying this truck. http://charlottesville.craigslist.org/cto/2398959812.html
130,000 on motor, 91,000 on trans, Banks Sidewinder turbo, 7 inches of lift, 35 inch SS TSL's with 1/2 tread
New; alternator, starter, injector pump, fuel filter, brakes, and more.

All for $2500

I would hope there are front lock outs....I dont know if they put the auto's on them trucks with a diesel back then... They suckass :prof:

If you buy it ... or one like it.. I will share my notes with you lol...

I would hope there are front lock outs....I dont know if they put the auto's on them trucks with a diesel back then... They suckass :prof:

If you buy it ... or one like it.. I will share my notes with you lol...

:lol: Ok! I kinda like locking hubs. I don't know why. Seems better for a SHTF situation. :smirk:

Do you kno what gears are in it?

I asked him the first time I called a few weeks ago, and he guessed that they were 3.73's. He says it gets about 16mpg city, if that tells you anything. Make sure you compensate for the turbo and tires!

fan.jpgshard.jpgwires.jpg

We were driving the truck offroad and a group of wires unclipped and the shit hit the fan! All the wiring got pulled in, cut, or tangled. There's still parts scattered along the road. So now we gotta re-wire the whole truck, I guess. It pulled out one headlight, two foglights, and a bunch of other stuff. :cry:

What all do I need to buy now?