Chain Lube

This may have been covered before but anyway, I am anal about keeping my chain lubricated and I have used just about everything available. I tried that chain wax once and that was the biggest mess ever. :naughty: It just made all the dirt stick to it until it looked like a dirt clod and then you could not wash it off. I recently found this stuff by Dupont and it is a teflon spray that goes on wet and then you let it dry. Once dry, it does not even look like it has anything on it but after riding for a good loop you can still feel the lubricating film on the teeth. It does not collect any dirt and it is not that expensive. The secret is that you must let it dry completely before using it. Anyone else have any thoughts on lubes?

I hear ya, and have also tried everthing under the sun. The Dupont stuff works great, but I've found a new lube.
http://www.progoldmfr.com/?p=products&c=mfrchain
Been using this product for 6 mos now, stuff works as advertized. NO residue and clean up is a snap... The only draw back is your chain has to be squeaky clean and rid of other lubes before you apply.
I'd rate it a 10, and I never give anything a 10..
Do a search, lot's of feed back..

Funny, I have used this stuff too. I thought it was too good to be true as the teeth on the sprocket seemed dry every time I looked at it. :thinking: As I mention, this Dupont lube still leaves a film that can be felt. Maybe what we have here is two good lubes. :thumb:
I hear ya, and have also tried everthing under the sun. The Dupont stuff works great, but I've found a new lube.
http://www.progoldmfr.com/?p=products&c=mfrchain
Been using this product for 6 mos now, stuff works as advertized. NO residue and clean up is a snap... The only draw back is your chain has to be squeaky clean and rid of other lubes before you apply.
I'd rate it a 10, and I never give anything a 10..
Do a search, lot's of feed back..

Funny, I have used this stuff too. I thought it was too good to be true as the teeth on the sprocket seemed dry every time I looked at it. :thinking: As I mention, this Dupont lube still leaves a film that can be felt. Maybe what we have here is two good lubes. :thumb:

Could it be true? Two products in our lifetime that acually work? :banana:
I agree, it feels like there's nothing there, but after a winter season of riding, no stretch nor signs of wear so far..keepin' my fingers crossed.
BTW, I used the Dupont stuff last weekend rebuilding a Honda..They'll never know..:smirk:.
Try it (The dupont stuff) on your cables- nice..

A chain lube thread? Let's get this all out of the way -
"Brand A is the best."
"No way, brand B is the best."
"Don't spend all that money, just use WD-40."
"Don't use WD-40, it eats away the rubber o-rings."
"You don't need lube, it's already lubed."
"Your an idiot."
"No, you are an idiot."
And on, and on...

I liked Hondas chain lube, but I thought it was discontinued a few years ago, until a Honda dealer told me that this - http://www.originalbikespirits.com/products.aspx?pid=664 is the exact same stuff. Works great, no fling off, I even use it on my mountain bike chain, doesn't end up all gooey.
Available at most Honda stores.

:thinking: Well maybe there are 3 brands of lube that work good. This sounds like it does the exact same thing as discussed above. Problem is this is not available at many places from the looks of it.

Chain lube... What a topic. Agent2 is right, but I'll jump in anyhow.

First it really matters what kind of chain you use. A ring type chain has completely different set of requirements than a non ring chain.

For the most part you are only really lubing a non ring chain. I run one of those on my street bike. I use the typical gooey oil in a spray can lube between real cleanings. Every few months I remove the chain and clean with paint thinner. I do a couple of rounds until all of the crud is out from the pins. I then dry it until all the solvent is gone. I dunk it in a brew of grease dissolved in naphtha. A final hang a dry followed by a wipe down and the chain is ready to reinstall. The chain is now lubed in a way that you can't do with oil in a can.

From an engineering perspective a ring style chain isn't really lubed except for the exposed elastomeric ring to metal contact. On the bulk of the exposed metal you are just trying to prevent rust and corrosion. I've been using the chain wax for that and it works OK for the non moving parts. The wax does get stripped from the surfaces that make contact so it doesn't prevent rust there unless you reapply immediately after a ride. It seems to do OK on the ring to metal contact. I agree that it is messy and really hard to clean from the chain. I might have to give one of those dry film type of lubes a try.

The bottom line is that today's current ringed chains will give decent life almost no matter what you do even if you don't use any lube at all.

I typically use old oil. I know it's bad but it usually works well!

The only problem with that (which I'm sure you're aware of) is that it's thick and will collect dirt PLUS possibly not get into the nooks and crannies lke the thinner viscocity oils will do....:thumb:

I had a neighbor that used to soak his chains in a bath of old oil...thinking it would penetrate I guess...TRUE STORY! :prof:.....:devil:

I use Klotz Chain Lube. It comes in an airesol can. Its super thick and sticky. I make sure to clean my chain after every ride and then take the bike for a ride around the block to heat it up (per the instruction) then I lube it up. Put it on the stand spin the tire to wipe up the excess and Im good to go. Ive had this particular chain for almost a year with little to no Stretch at all.

Just DON'T use the Blue- Blue Ray crap...it works but man does it make a mess.....if you don't protect the ground/floor or wipe off the excess there'll be blue smirf crap everywhere.....:foul:

the best lube is your own spit ... but i hear that KY makes a great product.....

ohhh wait you siad CHAIN LUBE :devil:

i use that wax stuff but im thinking about changing when this can runs out.

for an o-ring I use WD40 for a few years now, no rust, no mess, gets the water off after a wet ride or wash, chain and sprockets last forever. I used the wax for a few years and hated it due to the build up and dirt it collected.