Injured CDA went in for shoulder and bicep suregery today.........

SRAD97750

Staff member
Sweet Pictures. Glad to hear you are healing up. :ride: -BIG DAN
banana.gif

A Little Update!

So I went back to the doctor's today for a little follow up. Everything went well and I did a little itsy bitsy spider up the wall for the first time. I got my hand all the way up above my head and WOW! did that hurt and feel great at the same time. I am now hooked up with some physical Therapy which I will call in the morning to schedule an appointment to get one in before I travel this weekend.

6 weeks of therapy twice a week should be enough to get me back out there quick. With my work travel schedule and therapy, that will put me into March. I will be looking for a few DBAers around that time to trash me back into shape....:devil:

So I went back to the doctor's today for a little follow up. Everything went well and I did a little itsy bitsy spider up the wall for the first time. I got my hand all the way up above my head and WOW! did that hurt and feel great at the same time. I am now hooked up with some physical Therapy which I will call in the morning to schedule an appointment to get one in before I travel this weekend.

6 weeks of therapy twice a week should be enough to get me back out there quick. With my work travel schedule and therapy, that will put me into March. I will be looking for a few DBAers around that time to trash me back into shape....:devil:

glad to hear your gettin better:thumb: and maybe youll get a hot chick as your therapist:banana::P

James

Staff member
So I went back to the doctor's today for a little follow up. Everything went well and I did a little itsy bitsy spider up the wall
:thumb: Glad to hear that.

:lol: They always seem to have these weird exercises, ever do the lawn mower pull? :lol:

:thumb: Glad to hear that.

:lol: They always seem to have these weird exercises, ever do the lawn mower pull? :lol:
Oh yeah, I will be doing dome of those and the rubber band in the door jam. When I dislocated my hip years ago, I had to do the Jane Fonda workout. I remember walking into therapy and I used to bring my crutches with me, because I needed them to get back out...:prof:

James

Staff member
Oh yeah, I will be doing dome of those and the rubber band in the door jam. When I dislocated my hip years ago, I had to do the Jane Fonda workout. I remember walking into therapy and I used to bring my crutches with me, because I needed them to get back out...:prof:
:lol: I and would always take some paid meds.

So what's your recovery time-line? I still need to get my SLAP tear fixed, but they've been telling me that the recovery is long. :(

:lol: I and would always take some paid meds.

So what's your recovery time-line? I still need to get my SLAP tear fixed, but they've been telling me that the recovery is long. :(
Well this Friday will be 5 weeks from the surgery date. The doctor said I have full ability to move my arm in all directions but need to start off slow. He feels 6 weeks of PT is more than enough for me to be hammering again. Moving the arm above my head is so awesome right now. It is still stiff and putting my belt on and tucking in my shirt is still a painful challenge. I should know better after my first PT which I am calling here soon. I hope I can get in tomorrow or Thursday. If I can get in tomorrow, then I might be able to get in another one on Friday. That would give me 2 before I head out of town Sunday for 4 days. He normally sets me up with PT to do while hanging in the hotel room after work..

James

Staff member
Well this Friday will be 5 weeks from the surgery date. The doctor said I have full ability to move my arm in all directions but need to start off slow. He feels 6 weeks of PT is more than enough for me to be hammering again.
:shocked: Dang they were telling me that I'll be in a sling for 12 weeks then a month or 2 of therapy, basically 6 months until I can ride again. To which I promptly said "uh no, I'll live with it for now". I'm guessing that a lot of that was over estimated though. :noidea:

On a side note, isn't the new way of thinking leaning towards getting the repaired limb moving as soon as possible? Because the longer it's in a sling the less ROM you'll have and the longer it'll take to recover?

:shocked: Dang they were telling me that I'll be in a sling for 12 weeks then a month or 2 of therapy, basically 6 months until I can ride again. To which I promptly said "uh no, I'll live with it for now". I'm guessing that a lot of that was over estimated though. :noidea:

On a side note, isn't the new way of thinking leaning towards getting the repaired limb moving as soon as possible? Because the longer it's in a sling the less ROM you'll have and the longer it'll take to recover?
I was out of my sling in 2 weeks. If you play football or a contact sport like that, they say 1 year for full recovery, since you are constantly taking on hits to that area. When I had the other shoulder done a year in a half ago, I was on the ice machine all day for 4 straight days, but was doing the wall walk the next day after surgery. They want you to move it so it will not get stiff and can cause issues later when it is healing. Since this Slap was more damaged, I could not do anything for these last 4 weeks, but the dangle swing. It was frustrating because I could feel how stiff it was and the other was moving and healing so much faster.

My other shoulder was done in May so I took the whole summer off from riding and just did some boating. I was back on the bike in Sept, but was MTB riding in late July with no issues. I guess it depends on the doctor. I have a great sports doctor who works with the local high school football teams, so he is not the one to let you sit around and wants you back out there.

James

Staff member
I was out of my sling in 2 weeks. If you play football or a contact sport like that, they say 1 year for full recovery, since you are constantly taking on hits to that area. When I had the other shoulder done a year in a half ago, I was on the ice machine all day for 4 straight days, but was doing the wall walk the next day after surgery. They want you to move it so it will not get stiff and can cause issues later when it is healing. Since this Slap was more damaged, I could not do anything for these last 4 weeks, but the dangle swing. It was frustrating because I could feel how stiff it was and the other was moving and healing so much faster.

My other shoulder was done in May so I took the whole summer off from riding and just did some boating. I was back on the bike in Sept, but was MTB riding in late July with no issues.
:thumb:
I guess it depends on the doctor. I have a great sports doctor who works with the local high school football teams, so he is not the one to let you sit around and wants you back out there.
:lol: Very true, the doc that did my clavicle is more the type that thinks you should set out for as long as possible. And the one that's been looking at my shoulder is more the "if it doesn't hurt to much, go for it". :smirk: The therapist's have even made comments to me about the differences between some of their docs. BTW both are very good doctors, they just have their own "style". :thumb:

Edit: Here's one of them http://osmc.com/providers/stevenson.php

They also have some cool videos http://osmc.com/education/interactive_education.php

I can take you out and we can stay in second gear. Great therapy and no worries!

:thumb:

:lol: Very true, the doc that did my clavicle is more the type that thinks you should set out for as long as possible. And the one that's been looking at my shoulder is more the "if it doesn't hurt to much, go for it". :smirk: The therapist's have even made comments to me about the differences between some of their docs. BTW both are very good doctors, they just have their own "style". :thumb:

Edit: Here's one of them http://osmc.com/providers/stevenson.php

They also have some cool videos http://osmc.com/education/interactive_education.php
Those are some cool vids.:thumb:

I can take you out and we can stay in second gear. Great therapy and no worries!
:thumb: I'll call you when I am ready. Second gear may be pushing it though...