South Calling Big Dan... Licensed to Smoke

that is a sweet bike bolt
i got a 85 cr500 sitting in my garage that needs a full restore on it....one day when i get my own shit in order i will rebuild it.
That must be one of the first. I had an 83 480 and if I recall the first year of the 500's was 84 or the one you have. My buddy had one and it was a bitch to start.

im not 100% on the history of it all. i have heard that it was 86(correct me if i am wrong here please) that was the last year they were crazy switches... 87? was when they dumbed em down some?

Yup... my 81 CR450 was a crazy switch... 82 & 83 CR480 crazy switches... 84 to 86 CR500 crazy switches... 87 got rid of the rotting magnesium water pump cover that would rot away and wreck everything and they also made the motor more manageable.

Disclaimer: Thats about all I remember... Info is worth what you paid for it. I can say anything and get away with it right ? It's the Internet biotches...

I have one that just needs the air box done but its in a 2008 450 frame this is my green AF 500 I think you seen this one Jeff on your site.you got a very nice bike there you will enjoy it lol there a hand full.View attachment 18199

Thats right... you remember me getting silly over your bike when you signed up. My first choice being a KTM guy would be to have this motor stuffed into an 08-10 450/530 frame. Some day when my 08 530 motor gives it up I may just do that. Won't cost anymore than going through the 530 motor. Gonna keep my eyes on CL for another 500 motor just in case the stars align down the road..

This one is a 2004 CR250 frame... with the 2001 CR500. Built by Don Sliwinski, Sand Cars Unlimited. I guess he makes about 8-10 a year between other projects. Bought it from original owner. It comes with a spare pipe. Nice since they are modified to fit the bike.

I had an 81 CR450 when I was a kid. 4 speed arm ripper, left side kick and wheelie machine. The throttle was a light switch. I've ridden cr500s since. Don't think they are any crazier than that 450 was. Never ridden an AF. Gotta be much more fun in the modern frame. Truly a dream bike. Looking forward to it.
Nice bike Jeff. Don, I am surprised that guy is still in business. On of the most arrogant, my way or the hi-way, assholes you'll ever meet. And for a "business man", again, surprised he's still a business. Just a few miles from my house.

It wasn't my personal $$$ experience, but I went through it with a friend who had a car built by him. And they ain't cheap.

Yup... my 81 CR450 was a crazy switch... 82 & 83 CR480 crazy switches... 84 to 86 CR500 crazy switches... 87 got rid of the rotting magnesium water pump cover that would rot away and wreck everything and they also made the motor more manageable.

Disclaimer: Thats about all I remember... Info is worth what you paid for it. I can say anything and get away with it right ? It's the Internet biotches...

if its on the interwebs it must be true :prof:

Sweet 500. Can I ride it? :devil:

84 was the first 500 though it was air cooled. 85 was the first water cooled 500 and it had a crazy bark off the bottom but signed off quick on top. You really had to short shift that motor. 86 had a crazy hit as well but a little mellower than the 85. It would pull much longer and made for a sweet dez weapon but would head shake like crazy.
87 they mellowed out even more to by more manageable but you still can't beat that 500 2 stroke bark. Lost touch on the CRs after that as I switched to KX500s in 88.

She came home today !

Picked it up at the MickyDs off 15/138. I knew you could get Adventure Passes there... but now they got bikes. :rocker:

Fella rolled in at 9AM
cr500af_02.jpg

I rolled out at 9:30AM
cr500af_03.jpg

cr500af_04.jpg

cr500af_05.jpg

Snuck a couple quickie rides this afternoon... SWEEEET ! :hyper: