build endurance

i race hare scrambles. i have good lap times but i cant stay consistent my first 2 laps are about the same but the last 2 are my trouble laps. i need help staying consistent.

James

Staff member
I look at it two ways, you can either ride a lot more (practice) or hit the gym, and by "hit the gym" I don't mean just weight training (do more cardio). I prefer a combination of both by alternating practice (riding) days with gym days.

First step would be getting a heart rate monitor and reading up on heart rate training, here are a couple articles:
Heart Rate Training by Aldon Baker (Pro trainer)
Heart Rate Zones by Sally Edwards

I have no idea as to what physical condition you're in, but I'd advise starting in slow.

Also if you don't have a gym to go to or can't get a heart rate monitor, running/jogging is better then nothing.

PlushPuppy should be able to provide you with more info.

i would like to ride more but i don't have any property to ride on so its hitting the gym for me. i do try to do a lot of cardio but i have been doing it for a while and haven't seen hardly any results so i think im doing something wrong.

Hey WoodsRider - welcome to the site :thumb: I run everyday and find that it's pretty easy to kind of hit a training wall if you know what I mean. I find a great way to avoid this is to really make an effort to change up your routine and intensity levels. For example, most days I just go for a run but at least once a week I will walk a 1/4 mile at a good pace and then really step it up and try and sprint for a 1/4 mile, continuing this for 3 - 5 miles. The point is to keep changing up your routine. :thumb: Good luck.

thanks naturaledge. i have tried running but i cant really do it because i have bad knees and they compress and it doesn't feel to good hahaha. i have read a lot on this and they say the concept 2 machine (rower) is the best for what we do any feed back on that? i have tried it but iv recently have read the stuff on it so haven't given it time.

James

Staff member
thanks naturaledge. i have tried running but i cant really do it because i have bad knees and they compress and it doesn't feel to good hahaha. i have read a lot on this and they say the concept 2 machine (rower) is the best for what we do any feed back on that? i have tried it but iv recently have read the stuff on it so haven't given it time.
I can relate to the bad knees which is why I can't run on treadmills anymore, hurts to much. However I've found that the elliptical machines do an amazing job, workout wise and there's no impact on the legs/knees. Takes a little bit to get used to though.

My gym used to have a row machine (Concept 2), but after I got hurt last year and stopped working out, the owner took it out (I was practically the only person using it). But he did say that he'd bring it back since I'm starting back up again. To my point.... yes the row machine can give you one heck of a workout. Just remember that you're going for distance, so pace yourself to last for more then 5 min. :P

Elliptical machine I use (no stupid hand "thingys")
elliptical_machine_weight-loss.jpg

ya i have tried the Elliptical they kill me hahaha. yes i have been working with my buddy on suspension. and i ride a ktm 144sx and race 200c close to the top normally 3rd. but i look at the lap times if i can stay about the same through the whole race id be close to 1st so im really wanting to get more endurance so i can start moving up.

ya i have tried the Elliptical they kill me hahaha. yes i have been working with my buddy on suspension. and i ride a ktm 144sx and race 200c close to the top normally 3rd. but i look at the lap times if i can stay about the same through the whole race id be close to 1st so im really wanting to get more endurance so i can start moving up.
Ok, you got a nice lite bike, And if you are placing third then your endurance can't be half bad...... I would focus on riding whenever possibel...

i try to ride as much as possible but i don't have anywhere near my house to ride and i race every weekend. so i have to try to hit the gym as much as possible because i can't ride very much.

James

Staff member
hahaha ya but i cant do it for very long. and im not sure but dont you want to be able to do it for a long time?
When I first started I could only do like 10mins, but now I usually go a minimum of 30 min, while keeping my heart rate between 165-180. Then I'll hop on the treadmill with the incline set to max and speed to 3 mph, for another 10 min. After which I cool down for 15 min.

I'm excited to get back on the row machine though, but I'd better not screw up my shoulder. :foul:

dang your doing good! im just trying to see what yall are doing to stay in shape and if it works for you. i haven't been working out for a while. i was doing good then broke my arm and had surgery and all that so iv been riding a lot and got somewhat of my speed back. but now need to start hitting the gym again