2 Stroke Bring back dad's bike

I have a 1995. Ktm 125sx. That was my dad's. The bike runs but it needs a new clutch. And I was wondering where would be the best place to look ? Also I was told that the years from 93-98 are all interchangeable?.
Last question. Can you put a 250 clutch in a 125? I am able to find more 250. In that age. Than I can 125. Thank you for your feed back.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Welcome,
That's a tough one. I see one from the UK on ebay for ~$150.
I do not see it on the main oem warehouses.
I would look around on vintage KTM sites and check other auction sites.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

I have a 1995. Ktm 125sx. That was my dad's. The bike runs but it needs a new clutch. And I was wondering where would be the best place to look ? Also I was told that the years from 93-98 are all interchangeable?.
Last question. Can you put a 250 clutch in a 125? I am able to find more 250. In that age. Than I can 125. Thank you for your feed back.
Looks pretty grim for parts on that year, while I highly doubt the 250 clutch will work on the 125, research found that the exc 125 is interchangeable from 94-97 I would assume the sx and exc would have no difference for the clutch

When you say it needs “a new clutch”, do you mean it needs a new clutch basket, pressure plate etc, or just new friction parts (plates) and springs?

To be honest I haven't taken it apart yet. However the bike had sat for about 14 years. And the clutch is spongy. Every off-road shop I've taken it to. Has just told me that's what it needs. The last guy who messed with it, ran for Yamaha in the east coast racing circuit for 8 years . I tell you all this cause that's all I know.

When you say it needs “a new clutch”, do you mean it needs a new clutch basket, pressure plate etc, or just new friction parts (plates) and springs?
I'm almost scared to start taken it apart cause I know you can't find a fucking thing for it. So I can't honestly answer. I just need help cause I work on semi. Tractor trailer. Have never messed with dirtbike or fourwheeler.

Just like what your used to working on they have to come apart at some time. Friction parts won’t be too hard. When you say “mushy” feeling, are you talking about the way the lever feels?

I am guessing it has a hydraulic clutch. It may be as simple as bleeding it ( kind of like you do hydraulic brakes) but more likely it will need some rubber parts. Those shouldn’t be very hard to get either. As I recall ktm had a system that used mineral oil instead of brake fluid or hydraulic fluid if you want to try bleeding it first. Have you got a picture to post of the handle/cylinder?

I am guessing it has a hydraulic clutch. It may be as simple as bleeding it ( kind of like you do hydraulic brakes) but more likely it will need some rubber parts. Those shouldn’t be very hard to get either. As I recall ktm had a system that used mineral oil instead of brake fluid or hydraulic fluid if you want to try bleeding it first. Have you got a picture to post of the handle/cylinder?

That one it turns out doesn’t have a hydraulic clutch. Things got simpler. The vague feeling may be from tired springs. I would take it apart as far as removing the springs and plates. Clean it up is solvent, brakeklean etc and measure the springs for free length. Then you can decide how far you want to go. If all you want to do is turn it into a runner because it is your dad’s it’s pretty easy to do. Turning it into a rider for regular use is going to be long and frustrating. Yamahas and Hondas of the same time period are pretty easy to keep running, in my experience. From there it gets harder. But bringing it back to how it was the last time he rode it is probably done pretty easily.

Ktmworld.com has parts diagrams, and some parts available for that year. An old trick to make up for worn plates and tired springs is to had a steel (the ones with no friction material) plate. Makes up for lots of wear. Your bike apparently has two different steel plates. One is thicker than than the other, and is placed on each end of the stack. That thicker plate, and springs are available it looks like.

first I would use their diagrams to disassemble and reassemble (take pics with your phone as you go helps too), and clean the plates up and lube the cable. Put it back together and see how it works.
Have you got it running yet?
BTW, you are welcome to anything I can still remember.

I had to work late so didn't get picture taken. But yes the bike is running. But the top end needs redone. But I can around the yard with my kids. So that I'm not worried to terribly much about. And I noticed the diagrams. Just haven't put them to use just yet... But perhaps. Sunday I can give you more details. On my progress.