Breathing Technique While Riding

James

Staff member
What's a good breathing pattern for when I ride? Is it better to take big deep breaths or shorter quicker ones? In through the nose and out the mouth or in the mouth out the nose? Nose or mouth only?

I find that I'm always breathing through my mouth, whether I want to or not. As a matter of fact, I have to keep a bottle of water behind my number plate because my mouth gets dry quickly. I've tried breathing through my nose to avoid the cotton mouth, but when you get a little winded, its hard to do that. Chewing some gum helps, but dry mouth is my biggest problem.

Ultimate breathing is in through the nose and out the mouth. That way you do not get the dry mouth. Try using a nose strip to open the nose more. Also controlled breathing is key. When I ride mountain bikes, I find myself doing short raped breathing and it will make you tired faster. When I am on a long faster ride, i will chew gum to help keep from getting dry mouth, but you have to find the correct gum. Some will dry out faster than others.

Biggest thing is stay loose and control your breathing...

James

Staff member
Ok, thanks guys. :thumb:

Yeah I generally breath in & out through the mouth, but I get really bad cotton mouth. (Which is why I started chewing 5 gum) Guess I'll have to work on trying to breath in the nose & out the mouth some more.

Also, I'll stop at CVS on the way up and get some of those nose strips to try out.

To answer your question directly, I use deep breaths. In through the nose, and out through the mouth. Deep breaths are much more efficient at getting oxygen into your blood stream.

There are metaphysical benefits as well when you focus your mind on your deep breathing. I feel when I occupy my mind only with breathing, my reactions become noticeably more fluid, natural, and confident

To answer your question directly, I use deep breaths. In through the nose, and out through the mouth. Deep breaths are much more efficient at getting oxygen into your blood stream.

There are metaphysical benefits as well when you focus your mind on your deep breathing. I feel when I occupy my mind only with breathing, my reactions become noticeably more fluid, natural, and confident

OH boy TS you are really getting deep now. Personally I just kind of hyperventilate becuse it make my head spin and then things just happen while im head rushing. JK LOL

James

Staff member
:lol: Ok I tried that and it actually worked, as long as I kept on thinking about it. But I'd forget it in a quarter lap, so... :bonk:
Try using a nose strip to open the nose more.
That helped, however it took some time to get used to it.