Breathing Technique While Riding

I noticed with my cardio (walking/running, HIIT sprints) that my breathing tempo naturally roughly goes with in-two steps, out-two , and this follows no matter how fast the tempo is, pretty much. WHen I'm riding I confess I think about hitting a bump/crashing and smacking my teeth down on my tongue and biting into it, so I try to keep my tongue touching the roof of my mouth to keep it away from my teeth. This also keeps me mostly nose breathing, and helps with the dry mouth stuff--though I do keep my jaw relaxed, holding that shut makes tension, tension baaaaad! I'm also sipping all along the way (guzzling a big load in one fell swoop is inefficient and bad btw).

You can try a mouth guard too--I've hear the mouth guard will help you not to get a concussion from your jaws smacking together when you have your head snap forward. But I imagine this would make sipping along the way on the fly difficult. But great for MX.

Def being able to breathe deeply and suck o2 helps wads, but you only get that way from a lot of smart cardio work--both the long slow and HIIT. Most people only breath with a small portion of their lungs, can you imagine what stagnates down there? No wonder so many people have asthma! I did have bad asthma, and the hard cardio cured it.

I've tried the nose strips, but in the end it's simply the hours of cardio WORK that is what will make you breathe better--sorry!

James

Staff member
Cardio is what helped me the most, running on an elliptical machine for a hour (plus warm up/cool down) did wonders. That and a row machine, talk about getting your heart rate up. :wow:

I've also heard of using a mouth guard to help prevent concussions, but I don't think I'd be able to wear one. It just sounds way to uncomfortable to be worth it.

So I did end up trying nose strips, they really do open the nose and help with the airflow. :thumb: For the whole 5 min it stays on. :bonk:

What's a good breathing pattern for when I ride? Is it better to take big deep breaths or shorter quicker ones? In through the nose and out the mouth or in the mouth out the nose? Nose or mouth only?

breath in your mouth and out through your nose... it controls how fast your breath and paces you out better, because when you huff and puff through your mouth your lung dont absorb the oxygen (take this from a runner:smirk:)... plus it slows your breathing and relaxes you :thumb:

When I start getting feeling like I need more air I use two short breaths in through the nose/one deep breath out through your mouth. I have found by doing this that I am supplying more oxygen to my body and I don't feel like I'm gasping for air the whole time I'm riding. I learned this theory through martial arts and track in high school.:thumb:

OH boy TS you are really getting deep now. Personally I just kind of hyperventilate becuse it make my head spin and then things just happen while im head rushing. JK LOL

Yea i hold my breath untile i almost pass out seems to work for me:P

breath in your mouth and out through your nose... it controls how fast your breath and paces you out better, because when you huff and puff through your mouth your lung dont absorb the oxygen (take this from a runner:smirk:)... plus it slows your breathing and relaxes you :thumb:
Backwards from anything I was taught or used. When breathing through your mouth you are going to dry out the mouth faster. It is better to breathe in through the noise and out the mouth.

James

Staff member

Backwards from anything I was taught or used. When breathing through your mouth you are going to dry out the mouth faster. It is better to breathe in through the noise and out the mouth.
:thumb: I'm with CDA here.

To help with the cotton mouth I'll stick a piece of gum in my mouth, don't chew it though. It just goes to the side of my mouth to get the juices (saliva) flowing.

:thumb: I'm with CDA here.

To help with the cotton mouth I'll stick a piece of gum in my mouth, don't chew it though. It just goes to the side of my mouth to get the juices (saliva) flowing.
I use to know an old dude that raced D37 (Norm Stuart - Check the old timers on D37 website) that use to keep a small rock in his mouth for keeping the saliva action. I chew gum as well and found Juicy fruit to be the gum of choice.

THATS WHAT SHE SAID!!!!:P:lol::cry::lol:
:moon: :lol:

I use to know an old dude that raced D37 (Norm Stuart - Check the old timers on D37 website) that use to keep a small rock in his mouth for keeping the saliva action. I chew gum as well and found Juicy fruit to be the gum of choice.

:moon: :lol:

i was actually gonna mention the rock thing... Its an old indian trick. they use to do that to keep the mouth salvating. Would be bad news for your teeth if you went down tho

i was actually gonna mention the rock thing... Its an old indian trick. they use to do that to keep the mouth salvating. Would be bad news for your teeth if you went down tho
Yep the cool thing was sitting there on the starting line and watching him walk around staring at the ground looking for that perfect rock. When he found it, he would just pop it in his mouth without even wiping or washing it off first...:lol: You got to love the old desert rats.
norm6.jpg

At the Husky Monument - R.I.P.
boots.jpg