Branch through the cheek (GRAPHIC)

James

Staff member
it won't poke a hole through it, it will push through and pop the lens out. the weak spot is the edge not the lens.
Is the edge of the lens right over your eye?

Yes I agree if that branch had impacted at the point between the frame and lens, it probably would've gone through. However I see no reason why the lens edge/branch would move up to where your eye is before getting embedded in your skin/face.

Is the edge of the lens right over your eye?

Yes I agree if that branch had impacted at the point between the frame and lens, it probably would've gone through. However I see no reason why the lens edge/branch would move up to where your eye is before getting embedded in your skin/face.
you just never know. go try it serveral time and prove me wrong :lol:

James

Staff member
Pop the lens out and slip right in there :prof:
you just never know. go try it serveral time and prove me wrong :lol:
I just did. :lol: Found an old pair of Oakleys and a dowel rod...

As you can see by the marks on the lens, I hit this area as hard as I could and it never separated. Even with repeated attempts on hitting it in a downward motion (pictured is straight on), it never came apart.

Lens_1.jpg

Next I hit the top edge straight on and at an angle (shown below), still didn't separate.

Lens_2.jpg

The only way I was able to get it to separate was by hitting it repeatedly at this angle (horizontal to the lens),I was hitting the frame, not the lens. As you can see this resulted in the 'branch' sliding past and being embedded in either your helmet shell or skull.

Lens_3.jpg

With that said, yes it could still happen, we've all seen the crazy stuff that happens at times.

For example if you came down on a fixed object like so...

Lens_4.jpg

...the object stayed in place while you flipped over it...

Lens_5.jpg

...and you ended up like this... :cripple:

Lens_6.jpg

As you can see by the marks on the lens, I hit this area as hard as I could and it never separated. Even with repeated attempts on hitting it in a downward motion (pictured is straight on), it never came apart.

View attachment 10401

Next I hit the top edge straight on and at an angle (shown below), still didn't separate.

View attachment 10402

The only way I was able to get it to separate was by hitting it repeatedly at this angle (horizontal to the lens),I was hitting the frame, not the lens. As you can see this resulted in the 'branch' sliding past and being embedded in either your helmet shell or skull.

View attachment 10403

With that said, yes it could still happen, we've all seen the crazy stuff that happens at times.

View attachment 10404

View attachment 10405

View attachment 10406
:lol: damn, I could have used those
:thumb: great demo though. I will give you the benifit of the doubt now if I go through the woods at a high rate of speed, my eyes are safe :smirk:

Coincidently, I was riding some nasty single track with a buddy of mine yesterday when, all of a sudden, a branch sprang through my new sikkk Spy goggles and pierced my eyeball. My buddy noticed that things weren't going well and said to me, "Hey N-edge, should I call a Doctor?" I said to my buddy, "No, you go ahead, I'll keep an eye out for you........"

:rimshot:

Coincidently, I was riding some nasty single track with a buddy of mine yesterday when, all of a sudden, a branch sprang through my new sikkk Spy goggles and pierced my eyeball. My buddy noticed that things weren't going well and said to me, "Hey N-edge, should I call a Doctor?" I said to my buddy, "No, you go ahead, I'll keep an eye out for you........"

:rimshot:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

View attachment 10401

View attachment 10402

View attachment 10403

View attachment 10404

View attachment 10405

View attachment 10406
Good work myth buster James! Theory "possible"