Bore or Nikaseal ????

If you put in a steel liner, have if coated as it will transfer heat better and add life your engine. I have had good luck using some that were mentioned to stay away from above. Only a couple can do the good coating on a steel liner.

Paw Paw

I have had some decent luck on this, so far though I haven't done it with a motorcycle. years back we did it with a yamaha kt100 cart engine. that engine has a whole lot of pistons avail from wiseco that are in .001 or so steps so you can keep using the same bore as the combination wears. Some classes premit NO over boring whatsoever. The plated or coated keeps it within spec for a much longer period of time. Athena uses the same method on at least one of their bigbore kits (crf250) so they can run an iron liner. It is widely used in aircraft replacement cylinders as well. One friend of mine built a max bore xr250. Decided to plate it from the start. I decided to let mine wear out and then do it. His has lots and lots and LOTS of time on it.

Sir's, Studs off, HPP Valve removed I'm almost ready too Ship ? Now I have a New problem, HPP Power Valve OEM Parts. And I haven't looked at the Governor yet. Most aftermarket Shops do not carry some OEM Parts. Maybe try E-Bay ? Where do I get Part's or is this impossible. I could get away with a Hone............. Thank You Sir's.....

Sir's, Studs off, HPP Valve removed I'm almost ready too Ship ? Now I have a New problem, HPP Power Valve OEM Parts. And I haven't looked at the Governor yet. Most aftermarket Shops do not carry some OEM Parts. Maybe try E-Bay ? Where do I get Part's or is this impossible. I could get away with a Hone............. Thank You Sir's.....

You can stop calling us sirs now. We appreciate the humbleness. You will have to comb eBay for parts.

Sir's ? Hey you guys !!! Why pay $75.00 bucks for a spring I can get at my local Hardware store for .45 cents. But there are helpful parts on e-bay, it will take time (and Money) too gather a few. Governor Parts are simple at that site. Now I'm in need of a Hone on my CR250R Cylinder, should I send it through the US Mail (Stripped of Head Bolt's and HPP Valve) most likely PowerSeal USA (there very responsive with my Contacts). Or should I go to RM ATV-MC and purchase a tusk 67mm Hone with lot's of OIL, and do it myself. Thank you guys..................

Sir's ? Hey you guys !!! Why pay $75.00 bucks for a spring I can get at my local Hardware store for .45 cents. But there are helpful parts on e-bay, it will take time (and Money) too gather a few. Governor Parts are simple at that site. Now I'm in need of a Hone on my CR250R Cylinder, should I send it through the US Mail (Stripped of Head Bolt's and HPP Valve) most likely PowerSeal USA (there very responsive with my Contacts). Or should I go to RM ATV-MC and purchase a tusk 67mm Hone with lot's of OIL, and do it myself. Thank you guys..................

To the naked eye there is no difference but to an engineer there is. Powerseal does a great job. What's the hone for? If the cylinder is getting replated then there is no need for a hone.

Sir's Can't get a straight answer to a simple question. my 86 CR250R needs (I don't even know if it needs attention) either a Overbore, replating or a Simple Hone. It's made of Cast Iron, weighs in at 6.6 Lbs. and if you look at the Skirt closely has 2 sleeves. Possibly just send it to a Machine Shop (they can't give me a correct answer to my questions either) PowerSealUSA, Langcourt, U.S. Chrome, etc., etc. possibly I should just call them??? Thanks Sir's it was a good try.

SRAD97750

Staff member
The only answer, be it "simple" or not:
Spec'ing the cylinder to the manual is the only way to determine whether the cylinder needs attention or not.
Same for picking a new piston. -BIG DAN:thumb:

Sir's Can't get a straight answer to a simple question. my 86 CR250R needs (I don't even know if it needs attention) either a Overbore, replating or a Simple Hone. It's made of Cast Iron, weighs in at 6.6 Lbs. and if you look at the Skirt closely has 2 sleeves. Possibly just send it to a Machine Shop (they can't give me a correct answer to my questions either) PowerSealUSA, Langcourt, U.S. Chrome, etc., etc. possibly I should just call them??? Thanks Sir's it was a good try.

The sleeve is cast iron? You provided no pics of this and the original question was "do I sleeve it and bore it or do nikasil it?" (In not so many words) so we assumed it was already plated and you wanted to know about sleeving as you made no mention of it being sleeved already. It weighs 6.6 lbs, doesn't mean crap. Mine weighs 7.9361 lbs and it is aluminum. It's at this point I'm hoping you are not a troll so take a strong magnet and if it sticks hard to the inside of the cylinder then it is steel. If it doesn't then its aluminum.

Last edited:
Thank you Sir, Sorry, I guess the Cylinder, is not Cast Iron. The Magnet does not Stick to it. But the inside sleeve (there's two) the Magnet sticks. I gather that it mean's I just need a Bore (or just a Hone). If it was Aluminum I'd
need Nikasile linings. I never knew Aluminum was so Heavy 6.6 Lbs... Thank you for that bit of information, it means a lot too me.

Attachments

• IMG_5677.JPG
    IMG_5677.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 5
Thank you Sir, Sorry, I guess the Cylinder, is not Cast Iron. The Magnet does not Stick to it. But the inside sleeve (there's two) the Magnet sticks. I gather that it mean's I just need a Bore (or just a Hone). If it was Aluminum I'd
need Nikasile linings. I never knew Aluminum was so Heavy 6.6 Lbs... Thank you for that bit of information, it means a lot too me.

Yes that's a steel sleeve. And depending what the inside looks like you can hone it. I would take it to a local shop and ask them to size the piston and check the bore for you. They will more than likely do it for free but make sure you buy the piston from them and also have them do the honing in boring as needed for you as well

Why do you hate powerseal? I have had zero problems in 20 yrs.
1) I lurves nothin better than to mess with you my boy.
2) I have heard bad stories on Powerseal, (and Langcourt).
3) I have had over 10 top ends repaired at Langcourt, and never a bad one.
4) Not in 20 years but in the past 5-6.

Thank you again for the straight answer, Local shop ? Do you mean PowerSeal USA (I've decided on them because, they replied to me with info) or Honda. I'll purchase the Piston set from them too. Thank you....

Attachments

• Studs Removed..JPG
    Studs Removed..JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Needs Hone..JPG
    Needs Hone..JPG
    223 KB · Views: 2