Bore or Nikaseal ????

Sir's I recently got a 1986 Honda CR250R, I'm in the process of rebuilding it and I need some advice and some answers to some questions. I've got it down to my Connecting Rod and the Cylinder needs a Overbore. Do I need a Nikaseal Bore or is a standard Bore good enough. And if I need a Nikaseal bore what repeatable Machine Shop do you advice. Thank you Sir's.....

Sir's I recently got a 1986 Honda CR250R, I'm in the process of rebuilding it and I need some advice and some answers to some questions. I've got it down to my Connecting Rod and the Cylinder needs a Overbore. Do I need a Nikaseal Bore or is a standard Bore good enough. And if I need a Nikaseal bore what repeatable Machine Shop do you advice. Thank you Sir's.....

Is the 86 nikasile or sleeve? First year maybe? I can't remember...
Nikasile and if it is scared nikasile standard bore and supply or buy piston from shop.
Sleeved have it bored and have them supply piston.
All my top ends go to Langcourt.com in AL (over 10 done).

Not sure Sir, it's a 1986 CR250R the Manual says no replacement "Piston", (circa 1986) But there are machine Shops that do Nikaseal (or Nikasile) Linings, Finding a new Cylinder is next to impossible. Wisco and other Piston suppliers advertise oversized Pistons for the Model. I'll look into your Machine Shop, Also Millennium and PowerSeal. Thank You Sir for the reply, it means a lot too me....

I stay clear of Powerseal, USChrome and Millennium, to many bad experiences (I have heard, not experienced).

If I do remember correctly, nikasile was introduced in 1986.

@ossagp could answer that better as he is older, wiser, and more experienced than me.

I stay clear of Powerseal, USChrome and Millennium, to many bad experiences (I have heard, not experienced).

If I do remember correctly, nikasile was introduced in 1986.

@ossagp could answer that better as he is older, wiser, and more experienced than me.

I believe You are correct that CR's were first plated in '86.

You can have it resleeved with a steel liner. Wiseco makes steel liners for that cylinder I believe. I'm not a fan of steel liners so I would personally use Nikasil. Powerseal USA does all of my work and I highly recommend them. The problem most people have is they do not send the new stock piston with the cylinder. Make sure you check the ring end gap before assembly, that's also something a lot of people fail to do.

If you put in a steel liner, have if coated as it will transfer heat better and add life your engine. I have had good luck using some that were mentioned to stay away from above. Only a couple can do the good coating on a steel liner.

Paw Paw

Sir's Steel liner, Nikasile Liner ???? Which to choose and where to get the work done. This is my question. The Piston manufactures make Pistons in a few size's. There must be a way too get a Piston in here properly. Another question I wanted to ask (if you're familiar w/ the 86 CR250R) is How many Dowel Pins are there in between the Cylinder and the Cases. The OEM Part's fishes say "2" is this correct ????? Thank you Sir's, this information means a lot to me...

Langcourt.com
Paw Paw was saying you can nikasile a steel sleeve, but I do not recommend that. He also says, Quote:
Only a couple can do the good coating on a steel liner. "couple places" is meant.
So Langcourt is my go to... Just have them supply piston "make" of your choice. I would go in order: Vertex-Wiseco-Wossner, standard bore.
2 pins for alignment on the jug to case.

Thank you Sir's, Should I Contact Langcourt and see what they can do ? And thank you for the Dowel reply, when I took out the Cylinder it only had 2 dowel Pins. I thought I'd lost 2. Thank you again

Thank you Sir's, Should I Contact Langcourt and see what they can do ? And thank you for the Dowel reply, when I took out the Cylinder it only had 2 dowel Pins. I thought I'd lost 2. Thank you again
Go to web site and click USA, fill out the work form, print, pack up and just "send it" in (2 week turn around). They are in Alabama, last 250 I had done was weld and plate for 230.00 includes round trip shipping. be sure to strip all the studs from it before hand or they charge extra.

Sir's, Studs, HPP Power Valve removed, does the Price include Piston, Rings, Pin, Circlips. Or should I include these Items ? Maybe I should just write them and ask them. Do you think they will mind me asking. Thank you Sir's... I'll let you know if it turns out...

The prices for the piston kit and upper bearing are very reasonable. (Even have gasket kits). Buying from them (or sending your new piston) insures the bore to be an exact fit.
No need to call (unless you want to). Find the order form on site (pdf) print, fill it out, send it in the jug all packaged up, USPS/UPS/FedEx/Or forbid that crappy company OnTrac.
Good to go, they will call, email, pigeon, message you and give you a balance to pay via phone w/CC, or mail them a MO/Check.

That's the same for powerseal USA. They will provide you with a wiseco piston kit. The plating is about $200 plus welding and shipping. I don't know what they charge for the piston or gaskets. Still need to check that ring end gap.