2 Stroke boggin out need help asap

ok so i tried to go ride today and my bike was boggy from the start..it has been doing that since i chanhed the packing so i figured it had sumthing to do with air/gas ratio..idk..but i pulled the plug and it was wet, oil maybe and smelt alittle burnt but it looked fine?..im running 32:1 ..help..what should i do/check?

SRAD97750

Staff member
I would set the float on the carburetor and try again with a fresh spark plug.
If the problem persists, perhaps an idle mixture adjustment is in order.
Beyond that, I can't see a packing change require the actual brass to be swapped. -BIG DAN:thumb:

I would set the float on the carburetor and try again with a fresh spark plug.
If the problem persists, perhaps an idle mixture adjustment is in order.
Beyond that, I can't see a packing change require the actual brass to be swapped. -BIG DAN:thumb:
can u dumb it down alittle for me lol..set the float? how do i do that? idle mixture adjustment? actual brass? ugh i feel stupid lol....

The wet spark plug is an indicator that its running a bit rich, you can (and should periodically) adjust the float in the carburetor, most people never do. Replace the plug, and lean out the air/fuel mixture a tad and try again.

The wet spark plug is an indicator that its running a bit rich, you can (and should periodically) adjust the float in the carburetor, most people never do. Replace the plug, and lean out the air/fuel mixture a tad and try again.
what does it mean to adjust float? like take it out and clean it or sumthing?

cleaning it is the first step. if you haven't got a manual you probably should get one first. with the right pictorials and a couple of simple screwdrivers you can set one easily. second time goes really fast but getting the factory specs settings and seeing a few pics is going to help a lot. as the float level changes over time, it raises the fuel level in the carburetor. that makes it run richer. so your bike starts to blubber and fowl plugs. a friend of mine did a really nice pictorial on it and it is posted over on All things moto

Let me try to dumb it down for you, because after not messing with one for awhile, I needed that too.
To set the float you're going to need to remove the carburetor and partially disassemble it. I am no expert, but the following links have helped me a bunch;
http://www.dansmc.com/carb8.htm
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_a_carburetor_works:_Carbs_explained
http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/floatlevel.html
http://roadstarclinic.com/content/view/56/96/http://roadstarclinic.com/content/view/56/96/
While the above mentioned links may not reference your particular motorcycle or carb, they generally apply to all carbs, and are very informative. Just spend some time reading them and I think you will fix your problem.
Good luck!

Is your fuel mix a fresh batch or just what was left over from your last ride?
When was that fuel mix made?
Have you done a compression test lately?

Paw Paw

Is your fuel mix a fresh batch or just what was left over from your last ride?
When was that fuel mix made?
Have you done a compression test lately?

Paw Paw
fresh fuel that day i rode..no compression test i suppose i will need to buy a gage

You can do the "loan a tool" program from a lot of the auto parts stores. Just put down a deposit and return it in good shape and it will cost nothing.
You did not state the bike, year or when the last rebuild was done and the compression check will give you some insight as to the condition of the top end of the engine. If the compression is good then you can look for other causes. If the compression is low then it will cause some of the fuel mix to not burn and cause the effects of a over rich condition and cause running issues like yours. There can be other causes, but I suggest doing the low or no cost items first in your trouble shooting. You should also look into the purchase of a service manual for your ride as it will make life easier.

Paw Paw

yea i have a manual but im not all that techy techy and im afraid to fuk shit up as it = more money...ive pulled everything apart before (except motor and brake system crap..) but had to take it to a shop to readjust the carb when i tried messing with the jetting awhile back cuz i was way off ...but neway top end i had done like maybe 4 years ago or so but i dont ride nearly enough to fuk it up i dont think...ill ride like 10-30 minutes or so once every two weeks or even longer like a month or so but ill start it as often as i can and ride it real quick and when i put gas i just mix a gallon and throw alittle in there so it wont sit long and next time i ride again i mix new shit...so..idk..2005 honda cr 85....will try compression test maybe tomorrow..thanks for ur help guys

The top end will not last very long on these little bikes. 4 years is a very long time even with little riding. It is a wear item and is not expected to last very long.

Paw Paw

Yes, but the compression test will shed some light on how bad it is needed. Be sure to do this test correctly to get a good reading. You can check youtube.com for videos on how to do it. The engine needs to be cold and you hold the throttle wide open when doing the test.

Paw Paw