Bill Would Require Stock Exhaust on All Bikes

Bill would require stock exhaust on all bikes manufactured after January 1, 1983.

California Senate Bill 435 (Pavley, 23rd District, D) is back. Despite repeated failure to garner support for past versions, Senator Pavley continues to unfairly target motorcycle owners. The latest version of the bill would require only stock exhaust systems on all motorcycles constructed since 1983, and mandates a $300 fine for any owner who is found to be in violation.

Once again riders throughout the state are asked to contact their Senators and let them know that this is simply unacceptable. The newest version of this bill, which previously mandated smog testing, would result in thousands of currently legal motorcycles to be removed from the road, or their owners being forced to spend hundreds (or thousands) of dollars to reinstall OEM exhaust. Also, in the case of older models, many owners would be left in an all but impossible situation, as OEM exhaust systems will simply be no longer available from the manufacturer, therefore rendering the bike both illegal to ride and all but impossible to sell.

Furthermore, the lack of a labeled exhaust system does not mean a motorcycle is out of compliance with the federal law. After-market exhaust systems that comply with RSA 266:59-a are available from a number of manufacturers and often installed by their owners for a number of different reasons:
1) after-market exhaust systems are available when OEM exhaust parts are no longer, especially for older motorcycles;

2) Exhaust systems can rust out or be damaged in a minor accident, requiring replacement
3) after-market exhaust systems cost less than OEM systems, even when they are available; and
4) OEM exhausts systems are not available for custom motorcycles and kit motorcycles constructed by individuals from non-OEM components.

Lastly it is simply unfair to expect a motorcycle owner to display a ‘readily visible’ label if one is not delivered that way from the factory. Many EPA stamps are very difficult to locate on new motorcycles. Is it reasonable to expect a motorcycle owner to partialy dismantle his or her motorcycle on the side of the road to prove the exhaust system is labeled?

Click Here to send a pre-written email.

Updates:

New version would require stock exhaust/EPA stamp for all bikes built on or after January 1, 2000

California Senate Bill 435 (motorcycle exhaust (Pavley, 23rd District, D)) has been amended yet again and is still scheduled for a hearing on June 28th
The latest version of the bill (as of 6/22/2010) would require stock/OEM exhaust systems on all motorcycles constructed on or after January 1, 2011, and mandates a "fix it" ticket for any owner who is found to be in violation

James

Staff member
Does anybody know if this will also apply to Dual-Sport bikes or maybe even regular dirt bikes? Sort of like how we all got screwed on the CPSIA of 2008 with the no lead clause for toys.

James

Staff member
Update: Senate Bill 435 (motorcycle emissions) has been amended and is now scheduled for a hearing on June 28th.

James

Staff member
Senate Bill 435 (motorcycle emissions) has been amended again and is now scheduled for a hearing on June 28th.

New version would require stock exhaust/EPA stamp for all bikes built on or after January 1, 2000

California Senate Bill 435 (Pavley, 23rd District, D) has been modified yet again.

Despite repeated failure to garner support for past versions, Senator Pavley continues to unfairly target motorcycle owners. The latest version of the bill (as of 6/16/2010) would require only stock exhaust systems on all motorcycles constructed on or after January 1, 2000, and mandates a "fix it" ticket for any owner who is found to be in violation.

I don't understand why it isn't "motor vehicles" instead of motorcycles. This law is absurd. Even if you have the stock exhaust the sticker can easily be damaged and then you get a ticket. Somehow it will only ever get applied to dirt bikes and there will continue to be countless straight piped Harleys on the roads.

Thank god I don't own any bikes made after 2000, because even my stock exhausted bikes do not have the required stickers anymore.

James

Staff member
So does it currently apply to dirt bikes or will they wait to say dirt bikes are classified as motorcycles until after it's passed?

James

Staff member
So anybody know what the chances are of this going through?

California is a cool state. Too bad it's ruined by the government.
:thumb: Yep, I'd love to move a big chunk of that land in here. Might be easier to change the guberment though. :thinking:

It will most likely pass without strong opposition.
She is probably pissed about hearing the harley crowd revving their engines, honestly, so am I. But there are allready laws on the books that aren't enforced to counter that. And, yes, you can bet rangers will be writing tickets to dirtbikers while the starbucks cruisers will not be as affected as we are.
Let her know how you feel -
http://legplcms01.lc.ca.gov/PublicLC...?district=SD23
Seriously, keep the comments civil - bite your tongue. Insults and threats will be used against us.

I have heard about this issue before and it would suck if passed. I would have to put all the stock pipes back on the R1. I need to sell quick...