Best small truck ??

I drove a 4cyl manual S10 for over 6 years before selling it and my dad bought it pretty much new (like 500 miles on it) 6 years prior to me owning it and it drove like a champ. Years of HARD driving by me (I drove it like a race car DAILY...red line shifts...hard braking...off-roading...etc) and it stood up to anything...on little to no maintenance. Plus I got up to 25mpg on it. For a little truck...I would recommend it. :thumb:

1995\96 was the first year for Tacoma I believe. Anything earlier is a Hilux. 22R, best 22RE good, the whent to a single timming chain. 22R was dual wide and NEVER hoped, skiped, jumped ot broke. They had to cheepin it up because the engines go over 500G like a Volvo.

1995\96 was the first year for Tacoma I believe. Anything earlier is a Hilux. 22R, best 22RE good, the whent to a single timming chain. 22R was dual wide and NEVER hoped, skiped, jumped ot broke. They had to cheepin it up because the engines go over 500G like a Volvo.
So the 22R is better then the 22RE ?

So the 22R is better then the 22RE ?

That is what I posted. You have to take one for the other. The EFI is better than the Carb. Like I said, I had 189 on my 22RE and it needed head work because of timming chain. the 22R NEVER with over 300. So, If I was on a budget (like you) I would look for a three things:
1. As close to original owner.
2. Representation of repair orders.
3. No new paint, artificial lift, extra large tires ect. So a stocker.

Hey guys I already posted this on TT, so I am just going to copy/paste it.

I am going to be in the market for a small pickup in a good while and would like to narrow down my list.
I know foreign is going to be more expensive to fix but I work part time for a transmission shop (they used to do everything) and can work on my truck and have them help me with everything so labor wise it doesn't matter just parts.
Also I want to keep it a 4 cylinder because of MPG and I just dont need the power because my dad has a 7.3l f350 super duty..
I have no problem buying a stick and would actually prefer it. I Dont care if its 2wd or 4x4 but it will be my winter driver also so it will need to be good in snow.
So I made a list of the ones I know.
* ToyotaTacoma
* Chevy Colorado
* Checy S-10
* GMC Canyon
* Nissan
* Ford Ranger
* Dodge dakota
* Mazda
* Toyota prerunner ( I if thats another name for the tacoma or diffrent truck)

So let the debating begin.
*Note the truck will have to have under 125,000 miles on it and it will have to be pre 2000 because anything newer than that seems to be out of my price range. ($3,000)
Thanks !

S-10, Ranger, or Tacoma.. Hands down. The canyons and colorados are horrible. I have an 88 s-10 with the 2.5 and a 5 speed, 195k miles and over 240 miles of driving averaged 25mpg. the later models will have the 2.2L for the S-10's the rangers all of them have 2.3L pretty much and if you can find a tacoma with a good frame 22r and a 5 speed, that truck will last forever.

S-10, Ranger, or Tacoma.. Hands down. The canyons and colorados are horrible. I have an 88 s-10 with the 2.5 and a 5 speed, 195k miles and over 240 miles of driving averaged 25mpg. the later models will have the 2.2L for the S-10's the rangers all of them have 2.3L pretty much and if you can find a tacoma with a good frame 22r and a 5 speed, that truck will last forever.
Cool thanks for the info.

Hey guys I already posted this on TT, so I am just going to copy/paste it.

I am going to be in the market for a small pickup in a good while and would like to narrow down my list.
I know foreign is going to be more expensive to fix but I work part time for a transmission shop (they used to do everything) and can work on my truck and have them help me with everything so labor wise it doesn't matter just parts.
Also I want to keep it a 4 cylinder because of MPG and I just dont need the power because my dad has a 7.3l f350 super duty..
I have no problem buying a stick and would actually prefer it. I Dont care if its 2wd or 4x4 but it will be my winter driver also so it will need to be good in snow.
So I made a list of the ones I know.
* ToyotaTacoma
* Chevy Colorado
* Checy S-10
* GMC Canyon
* Nissan
* Ford Ranger
* Dodge dakota
* Mazda
* Toyota prerunner ( I if thats another name for the tacoma or diffrent truck)

So let the debating begin.
*Note the truck will have to have under 125,000 miles on it and it will have to be pre 2000 because anything newer than that seems to be out of my price range. ($3,000)
Thanks !

dad recently rebuilt the transmission in a 2009 4 cylinder colorado with 80k. Nuff said about those. Seem to get a lot of s10s with transmission problems in the shop too. :shocked: I <3 GM too but I'll have to say yota or ranger for this one.

With a 3000 purchase.. Look at 1500+ ... Between 1500 and 3000 that class of truck is a crapshoot, As in not much difference between the 2 price difference in quality of truck.. 98-03 f150's with the 4.2 v6 and 4wd will net 20ish mpg all day. And that's in a fullsize truck.