Best small truck ??

Hey guys I already posted this on TT, so I am just going to copy/paste it.

I am going to be in the market for a small pickup in a good while and would like to narrow down my list.
I know foreign is going to be more expensive to fix but I work part time for a transmission shop (they used to do everything) and can work on my truck and have them help me with everything so labor wise it doesn't matter just parts.
Also I want to keep it a 4 cylinder because of MPG and I just dont need the power because my dad has a 7.3l f350 super duty..
I have no problem buying a stick and would actually prefer it. I Dont care if its 2wd or 4x4 but it will be my winter driver also so it will need to be good in snow.
So I made a list of the ones I know.
* ToyotaTacoma
* Chevy Colorado
* Checy S-10
* GMC Canyon
* Nissan
* Ford Ranger
* Dodge dakota
* Mazda
* Toyota prerunner ( I if thats another name for the tacoma or diffrent truck)

So let the debating begin.
*Note the truck will have to have under 125,000 miles on it and it will have to be pre 2000 because anything newer than that seems to be out of my price range. ($3,000)
Thanks !

I am mainly looking for your personal experience with the truck.
I want to find out what the best years will be for me for each truck like the same parts/bodystyle. I also I want to find out what the MPG is going to be for each truck. (4cyl, manual, 4x2) and (4cyl, manual, 4x4)
If I make my list narrower and find out the years Im looking for I will call every used car dealer in 50 mile radius or whatever..

Hey guys I already posted this on TT, so I am just going to copy/paste it.

I am going to be in the market for a small pickup in a good while and would like to narrow down my list.
I know foreign is going to be more expensive to fix but I work part time for a transmission shop (they used to do everything) and can work on my truck and have them help me with everything so labor wise it doesn't matter just parts.
Also I want to keep it a 4 cylinder because of MPG and I just dont need the power because my dad has a 7.3l f350 super duty..
I have no problem buying a stick and would actually prefer it. I Dont care if its 2wd or 4x4 but it will be my winter driver also so it will need to be good in snow.
So I made a list of the ones I know.
* ToyotaTacoma
* Chevy Colorado
* Checy S-10
* GMC Canyon
* Nissan
* Ford Ranger
* Dodge dakota
* Mazda
* Toyota prerunner ( I if thats another name for the tacoma or diffrent truck)

So let the debating begin.
*Note the truck will have to have under 125,000 miles on it and it will have to be pre 2000 because anything newer than that seems to be out of my price range. ($3,000)
Thanks !

Are you looking new or used ...sorry PRE-Owned?

Prerunner is a model of Tacoma... it's got the extra goodies on it like shocks, tires, traction action, etc... you really can't go wrong with Toyota however being in the biz you're in you can stay on top of it (any vehicle) before anything go's too bad.

Not a Dakota fan only because of the style... I like the Color/Canyon best on style, performance/reliability... haven't heard much about them.

Son had a Ranger, never had an issue with it... ran like a top.

Happy Hunting :thumb:

Are you looking new or used ...sorry PRE-Owned?

Prerunner is a model of Tacoma... it's got the extra goodies on it like shocks, tires, traction action, etc... you really can't go wrong with Toyota however being in the biz you're in you can stay on top of it (any vehicle) before anything go's too bad.

Not a Dakota fan only because of the style... I like the Color/Canyon best on style, performance/reliability... haven't heard much about them.

Son had a Ranger, never had an issue with it... ran like a top.

Happy Hunting :thumb:
I am looking for pre-owned (used). Are you talking about the dakota in the middle bolded part or the Chevy Canyon ?
What year was the ranger ?

I am looking for pre-owned (used). Are you talking about the dakota in the middle bolded part or the Chevy Canyon ?
What year was the ranger ?

Don't care for the Dakota... love the RAM (Had one)
I really like the Colorados and Canyons... rented one not too long ago, was a nice rding truck.
Can't remember the year...early 2000's, 4 banger

The resale on the Toyota's are insane ... great for the owner but sucks for the buyer. Then again, it's a good sign for both. If you can afford it do it.

One thing to remember is I wouldn't go for a crew cab if you're going with a 4 cyl, not enough power to haul 4-5 people and maybe bikes around AND save gas. That's what I was told by my customers when I was selling trucks. Just something to think about.

I drive an 89 2wd 4cy(22r carburated) 4 speed manual toyota.

very reliable, very cheap to maintain, 185k, and I have no fear of it failing. get 23-30mpg

If you are def wanting a 4cylinder 4wd i'd find a toyota.

Dodges get crappy mileage

The colorado/canyons are nice but i wouldn't get one unless it had the 5cylinder engine.

2wd 4cylinder... I'd find a cheap Ranger or S10...

All manuals.. I'd stay away from all automatics unless it was a Canyon or colorado.

Just my 2 cents

If you are def wanting a 4cylinder 4wd i'd find a toyota.

Dodges get crappy mileage

The colorado/canyons are nice but i wouldn't get one unless it had the 5cylinder engine.

2wd 4cylinder... I'd find a cheap Ranger or S10...

All manuals.. I'd stay away from all automatics unless it was a Canyon or colorado.

Just my 2 cents

You go BoBo.... :hail:

My buddy has a dadge dakota and its a family truck. It gets pretty bad gas mileage and its 2wd. I think because its an auto.

I also know a guy who drives a chevy colorado. I dont know what engine it is but I know its an auto and I think a 4x4 and he does a lot of highway driving and it gets horrible gas mileage. Im starting to see anything auto sucks on gas..

So definitly a manual trans and def a 4cyl. So how do these small trucks do in the snow in 2wd ?

Best Truck! Duh...Toyota!
Your price range best truck. Ranger but in V6. the 4's are crap.
4cyl.
1976 Toyota Hilux=327,000 same motor, and sold it for 1,000.00 3 years ago
1979 Toyota Hilux=428,000 1 head, sold for 1,200.00 1 year ago. This truck spent its whole life with a harbor bed on it. switched out the bed to an 1982 with 250,000 and rebuilt motor.
1985 Toyota 4X4 Hilux-237,000 never a problem, 55 mph head on colision with Ford sable (thier falt) Me and neph, walked away with bruises, Sable broken wrist and smashed face.
1991 extra cab 4X4 Hilux=219,000, 189,00 timing chain, head, T bone with Isusu Trooper (their falt) Daughter walked away, them, driver smashed forhead, wife unknown, 2 kids unknown..Walked away into the night before the daughter cops and whitneses could stop them, undocumented fuckin WET BACKS! insurance and registration found in vehicle not the same as driver. Love the USA! I got my insurance company (uninsured/underinsured) to give up 3,500.00 the maximum amount and keep the truck, and my daughter did PT for a year to milk it on the medical. Sold that truck without the bed, bumper, tow hitch for 600.00 last year.
V6 Tacoma
2003 extra cab, V6, prerunner=147,000, 4sale 12,250.00 or goes to the next kid that can drive, my oldest son stoped making payments of 280.00 a month no intrest (covers insure) to BOD, so he owns outright a Honda wagon.
2006 quad cab 4X4 put 65,000 on it and traded it in for 17,650.00 last year for a 2011 same, same.
2008 quad cab, prerunner, Daughters after the 1991 I gave her in 2006 for 4,000.00 was totaled.
If you can get a toyota of any year for 3,000.00 do it.