South Baldy Mesa OHV Trail Construction Open House

Sad thing! All the good stuff will be turned into 50" and most not added. We all need to band together and cry for the 24" stuff. Once the comment time comes around, WE BITCH and hit um hard and fast!

Sad thing! All the good stuff will be turned into 50" and most not added. We all need to band together and cry for the 24" stuff. Once the comment time comes around, WE BITCH and hit um hard and fast!

And once we get the 24" stuff, we band tighter together and get 12" stuff! :thumb:

My letter to the Forest Service... feel free to agree or disagree and/or steal any of my ideas if you wish.
Send your comments to Tom Hall: thall@fs.fed.us
To the SBNF Staff and interested parties:

Thank you
I'd like to first thank the SBNF for putting on the Open House to discuss the happenings at Baldy Mesa. Tom and the OHV Team took all the time we needed to explain in detail what is being proposed as the official trail system for Baldy Mesa OHV... and the proposed new staging area.

I have provided detailed comments & abbreviated bullet points at the end for the attention deficient. :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments
I appreciate the work that has been on going to eliminate cross country use and come up with a plan to provide a system of trails for us... your OHV clients. But I need to be up front and say:

23 miles of total trail in this area is simply NOT ENOUGH !

A typical motorcycle or atv rider can cover every inch of the proposed trail system in about an hour. Thats a warm up ride. Family style rides about 90 minutes.

Baldy Mesa primarily draws average OHV users from Orange County, Riverside County and San Bernardino County. People sometimes drive an hour or more just to get Baldy. The next closest riding area is about an hour further for these folks to drive. For most of us it's easy access from the freeway and close by when compared to the alternatives. So it's an incredibly important OHV location.

If the current plan is implemented with only 23 miles of trail, we will arrive, unload, get the boots on and then find ourselves back at staging in 60 to 90 minutes. Just not enough fun... too many people on too few miles of trail, causing huge safety risks... and too many State OHV dollars spent on a location that can not meet the needs of the users.

Baldy Mesa's existing unofficial OHV trails have grown in number over decades. Estimations range from 75 to 100+ miles of trails on the ground. Generations have ridden these trails. They are well established. They are of course not currently part of the official trail system but they exist none-the-less. An attempt at fencing in much of the area has not been fully effective.

With the current planned proposal, Law Enforcement seems to be the only new & significant item on the agenda to keep people on a small slice of the available trails, rather than re-evaluating adding them to the official system.

It is clear that when off trail riding becomes common-place and is not just a few outlaw riders that we have failed to provide opportunities that match the needs of the user base. While Law Enforcement can be helpful at keeping people ON TRAIL... it should not be used to compensate for the failure to provide OHV opportunities that match growing OHV needs.

First provide a trail system that supports and pleases the Forest's OHV Clients...
Then if they don't comply use Law Enforcement as needed.

Putting more and more OHVers on smaller and smaller OHV trail systems has never worked. And it will be devastating at Baldy Mesa OHV. Aggravating OHV Users who travel to designated OHV locations far from home who play be the rules, pay their taxes and green sticker fees is how you CREATE frustration that can lead to an "outlaw" attitude and OFF TRAIL RIDING.

You will not win the hearts and minds of anyone by claiming that the Baldy Mesa Trail Plan is 13.4 miles of new trail and 9.6 miles of road side trail while at the same time eliminating 80% of the user created trails that have been used by families for decades.

In addition, all dirt bike only trails under this plan have been eliminated. Either by planned restoration or the widening to 50" of the only 23 miles of proposed official trail. Adding in existing dirt bike trails within the boundary of the current proposed plan would add back needed mileage for the faster vehicles... and provide some optional separation for the different user groups.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional Suggestions
The staging area needs to be moved an additional 300 to 500 feet north and away from the trestles. The noise is deafening. No person should be forced to tolerate that while trying to use the facilities.

Shade cabanas with tables each, spread around the perimeter of the staging area is far more standard and beneficial for OHV staging areas than an open parking lot with all tables grouped together.

Bottom Line It

1) - Make 50 miles of trails your goal.

2) - Use existing dirt bike only trails which have a smaller foot print to achieve the difference.

3) - Move staging area away from train tracks.

4) - Build an OHV friendly staging area with spread out shade cabanas each with a table that supports two vehicles and 4 to 6 users.

5) - Work to solve private land border issues by securing Rights to travel across private land and control access to the forest. There is a significant need on the Phelan side of the forest for access. Fighting this fact is foolish and will lead to endless & negative Law Enforcement activities.

6) - Private staging on private land is already available with owner approval. Take advantage of this.

Sincerely,

Jeff aka BOLT aka The PUBLIC

i wish that there was a way that i could show the corral canyon and bear valley area and the numbers of people who get hurt there. its something similarwith the mileage... the only riding place in san diego thats close but there is not that much mileage of trail and it gets crowded and dangerous with the head on collisions... its so bad i refuse to even ride it on the weekend. i had a head on and that was a mid week ride.

but then again that might be a bad idea... :noidea: you tell me :P

T-

It helps to have some numbers to support... but that kind of info is important. Safety is always one of their concerns cause the last thing they ever want is to get sued.

it really does suck for us in SD. there use to be tons of little fields or area's that you could legally ride... after the fires they shut it all down for ecological reasons... been 10 years now and its still closed. So it leaves the dez or Corral Canyon. CC gets so crowded its silly :/.

maybe one of these days i will ride up to the fire look out tower and talk to teh guy/lady that run it. cool people and always invite me up to chit chat. maybe they can point me towards some actual #'s on paper somewhere.

SRAD97750

Staff member
:picard:
Though the added trails are pretty good stuff, (Some already is legal) I feel if they spend $$$ on enforcement, Baldy mesa will become useless to typical Greensticker users. I hope our emails are heard... -BIG DAN

Complaints from the home owners. :lame:

Also, none of the true good ST, is on this map. Go on a weekday, with Big Dan, or Timo, to get a true feeling for this area. :thumb:

SOON!@!@!@@!!
soon-horse-meme-500x200.jpg

its been too long since i had a tgrue feeling for that area :smirk: