Baldy Mesa Fire Ride

Last Monday, the temps were decent, and I had some free time on my hands,:devil: so after dropping Butthead off at school, I loaded up, and headed for the Mesa. I haven't ridden this area in over 20 years, and have never staged at the official staging area, so I was looking forward to a new adventure.:banana:

First stop before hitting the freeway, was a bacon and egg sandwhich.
Baldy Mesa 8-22-11 002.jpg
Before 1 bite of breakfast, it was brake lights.
Baldy Mesa 8-22-11 004.jpg
After making 2 stops for the adventure pass, I was at the staging area.
Baldy Mesa 8-22-11 006.jpg
There was one other truck with a bumper carrier, so I left a sticker for him. I was too chicken to stick it on his bike rack.
Baldy Mesa 8-22-11 007.jpg
The obligatory self shot of the day.
Baldy Mesa 8-22-11 005.jpg
First stop was at the lookout area up top.

This is looking down the pass. Notice there is no smoke on the horizon.
Baldy Mesa 8-22-11 011.jpg
Here is the same shot the other way. That would be the world famous El Mirage Dry Lake in the distance.
Baldy Mesa 8-22-11 014.jpg
USFS dollars hard at work.
Baldy Mesa 8-22-11 013.jpg

Baldy Mesa 8-22-11 012.jpg
A little farther down the ridgeline, there was this wierd down hill. I took the sandy drop, but there was a lot of work put into laying all that brick.
Baldy Mesa 8-22-11 016.jpg
Since I stopped for the picture, I figured this was another great resting spot.
Baldy Mesa 8-22-11 020.jpg
From there, there weren't many pictures, because the next thing I realized, I had this on the horizon.
Baldy Mesa 8-22-11 008.jpg
I rode another 10 minutes back towards the truck, and when I saw this, I knew I could be in trouble. The fire was right next to the freeway, and if they had to close it, I would be F#@%ed. I rode straight to the truck, loaded, and got the hell out of there.

Baldy Mesa 8-22-11 010.jpg
Luckily, I only hit a little traffic right at the fire, and I would of got picture of the big water helos 40 feet over my truck, but the same old dead battery story will apply here.

Baldy Mesa 8-22-11 024.jpg

Baldy Mesa 8-22-11 025.jpg
North bound had only 1 lane open, and it was backed up for miles.
Baldy Mesa 8-22-11 023.jpg

So, I did 41 whooped out miles, and I sure felt it the next day. I've had too much time off the bike, and too many soft rides lately. I'm looking forward to maybe taking the scooter off the stand more often, and hopefully have a great riding season.:thumb:

I also found out later, that the fire took out some powerlines, and they did close the South bound lanes, so a major SNAFU was avoided..

Attachments

• Baldy Mesa 8-22-11 009.jpg
    Baldy Mesa 8-22-11 009.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 230
  • Baldy Mesa 8-22-11 015.jpg
    Baldy Mesa 8-22-11 015.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 104
Last Monday, the temps were decent, and I had some free time on my hands,:devil: so after dropping Butthead off at school, I loaded up, and headed for the Mesa. I haven't ridden this area in over 20 years, and have never staged at the official staging area, so I was looking forward to a new adventure.:banana:

First stop before hitting the freeway, was a bacon and egg sandwhich.
View attachment 4554
Before 1 bite of breakfast, it was brake lights.
View attachment 4555
After making 2 stops for the adventure pass, I was at the staging area.
View attachment 4557
There was one other truck with a bumper carrier, so I left a sticker for him. I was too chicken to stick it on his bike rack.
View attachment 4558
The obligatory self shot of the day.
View attachment 4556
First stop was at the lookout area up top.

This is looking down the pass. Notice there is no smoke on the horizon.
View attachment 4562
Here is the same shot the other way. That would be the world famous El Mirage Dry Lake in the distance.
View attachment 4565
USFS dollars hard at work.
View attachment 4564

View attachment 4563
A little farther down the ridgeline, there was this wierd down hill. I took the sandy drop, but there was a lot of work put into laying all that brick.
View attachment 4567
Since I stopped for the picture, I figured this was another great resting spot.
View attachment 4568
From there, there weren't many pictures, because the next thing I realized, I had this on the horizon.
View attachment 4559
I rode another 10 minutes back towards the truck, and when I saw this, I knew I could be in trouble. The fire was right next to the freeway, and if they had to close it, I would be F#@%ed. I rode straight to the truck, loaded, and got the hell out of there.

View attachment 4561
Luckily, I only hit a little traffic right at the fire, and I would of got picture of the big water helos 40 feet over my truck, but the same old dead battery story will apply here.

View attachment 4570

View attachment 4571
North bound had only 1 lane open, and it was backed up for miles.
View attachment 4569

So, I did 41 whooped out miles, and I sure felt it the next day. I've had too much time off the bike, and too many soft rides lately. I'm looking forward to maybe taking the scooter off the stand more often, and hopefully have a great riding season.:thumb:

I also found out later, that the fire took out some powerlines, and they did close the South bound lanes, so a major SNAFU was avoided..

:thumb:......happy Monday!

awesome. been to those spots a few times. that place is a fun ride. Wish i could have made it out i could have shown you some good spots. There is actually a unmaintained Motocross track out there. Some really fun hill climbs as well.

Nice:thumb: except the fire:thumbsdown:

Way to wash away the Monday blues. Good video and reporting as usual.

I can always count on a good close up of food from you:burger: Thanks for wetting my appetite for food and riding And just for that you should join me at Gorman this Wed or Thurs..:devil: I need to ride, Im going crazy:goofy:

:thumb:......happy Monday!

I still hate working Saturdays, but having The Mesa to myself, ain't all that bad.:ride:

awesome. been to those spots a few times. that place is a fun ride. Wish i could have made it out i could have shown you some good spots. There is actually a unmaintained Motocross track out there. Some really fun hill climbs as well.

Yeah, I'll be back up there. There's still more I want to check out, and it is very close for me.:thumb:

I love how all your RR starts out with breakfast :lol: :thumb: nice vid too:ride:

You know what they say, "It's the most important part of the day.:smirk:

Nice:thumb: except the fire:thumbsdown:

Way to wash away the Monday blues. Good video and reporting as usual.

I can always count on a good close up of food from you:burger: Thanks for wetting my appetite for food and riding And just for that you should join me at Gorman this Wed or Thurs..:devil: I need to ride, Im going crazy:goofy:

I'd love to join you, but my work schedule is Tuesday thru Saturday, and since you mentioned it, I'll be expect a report if you do go.:prof:

too late...........T-R-O-U-B-L-E with a capitol "T"

I'm innocent officer.:busted:

:lol: nice vid

looking pretty dry out there

I'm sure it was pretty dusty, but I'm only 99% sure, since I never had to look behind me.:devil:

:thumb: Great RR Tim, to bad it got cut short though.

:lol: So I'm not the only one that's noticed this? It just made me hungry. :rant:

I rode the ridge twice, giving me the 40+ miles, I think I was done anyway. Besides that, it was getting a little warm, and the truck A/C felt pretty good.:banana:

Great stuff as usual Timo. Always love the breakfast/food shot.:banana::banana::banana::thumb:

I do love me some breakfast. How can you not love bacon, eggs, and cheese.:drool:

food is the last thing on my mind when i go ride. I tend to forget about it untill the end of the day when i feel all sick cause i didnt eat all day.

when im not riding its on the mind :cry:

food is the last thing on my mind when i go ride. I tend to forget about it untill the end of the day when i feel all sick cause i didnt eat all day.

when im not riding its on the mind :cry:

I hear ya......I rarely eat before a ride if we go out early...early as in before 9. if it's after 9 then forget it, it's throw on the feed bag cuz there's no time limit now! :lol:...then a snack when we get back....and a few beverages to quench the thirst. :smirk:

A good, scratch that, a great breakfast is needed, if I'm going to ride. I'd be worn out in no time, let alone the headache that would debilitate me. I have done coffee only mornings, when I'm on the bike by 5:00, but then it's usually be at Slash X for a breakfast and pitcher by 9:00 AM.:cheers: