Arm Pump!

The secret is Alkaline water...counteracts the buildup of Lactic acid in the muscles. You didn't hear this from me...I've already said too much. :wink:

If you asked a doctor, he would probably say that arm pump is a mild form of an exercise-induced compartment syndrome. Aspirin and plavix are blood thinners in the fact that they don't allow blood to clot. They don't actually change the viscosity of the life giving fluid. I would actually caution against this practice, and here is why: If you sustain a deep muscle contusion or say a muscle tear, then you are at much greater risk for actually developing a real compartment syndrome, which is an orthopedic surgical emergency........:prof:

I have to take plavix every morning, are you suggesting its dangerous for me to ride... :(

The secret is Alkaline water...counteracts the buildup of Lactic acid in the muscles.

F*cking nerd... :bonk:

You didn't hear this from me...I've already said too much. :wink:

No shit, weve been waitng for you to shut for year's... :smirk:

Just drink more beer!!!!!!!!!!!

We have a winner... :banana: :hail:

If you asked a doctor, he would probably say that arm pump is a mild form of an exercise-induced compartment syndrome. Aspirin and plavix are blood thinners in the fact that they don't allow blood to clot. They don't actually change the viscosity of the life giving fluid. I would actually caution against this practice, and here is why: If you sustain a deep muscle contusion or say a muscle tear, then you are at much greater risk for actually developing a real compartment syndrome, which is an orthopedic surgical emergency........:prof:

So every Dr is wrong by telling people to take asprin every day to help prevent heart attacks because it lowers blood pressure ??

As that is what the cramping is about , its basically the muscles constricting blood vessels , and the asprin help keep the blood pressure lower so it flows more freely , and most likely helps relax the muscles which was my point

I keep a bottle of asprin in my pack when i ride , and i keep one at home and one in my truck , and i have been able to ride more relaxed and longer with less fatigue since using it , so there must be something to it and at my age and my health issues i need all the help i can get to continue to ride , i have Fibromyalgia , Arthritis , have broke my back twice and my neck once and seperated my shoulder (just last year on the last 2) , so if a few asprin keeps me on the bike another 10 years because i am no longer cramping and getting arm pump , i am willing to take a risk or two with a few asprin !

and i know that if you do cut yourself while using asprin all the time it will be harder to stop blood flow and get it to clot , but if i can ride with less fatigue , then i am willing to take that risk , its not like i haven't taken risks before , crap , if i listened to everyone that said something was dangerous , i would have spent my life sitting on the couch looking out the window at everyone else having fun.....screw that i'm ridin !!:ride:

James

Staff member
I think that is more or less what he's trying to say in Doc speak. :ride:

and i know that if you do cut yourself while using asprin all the time it will be harder to stop blood flow and get it to clot , but if i can ride with less fatigue , then i am willing to take that risk , its not like i haven't taken risks before , crap , if i listened to everyone that said something was dangerous , i would have spent my life sitting on the couch looking out the window at everyone else having fun.....screw that i'm ridin !!:ride:

Yea but if the Asprin fixes the problem without expensive surgery that also makes for rehabilitation time , which is time that you are not riding , then the benifits still far out weigh the slight side effect of a little bleeding on the off chance that you cut yourself real bad , like i said , i am willing to take that risk to enjoy less fatigued riding !

I still recommend taking a few asprin , it has made all the difference in me struggling with riding and enjoying myself !

:prof::smirk:
I have to take plavix every morning, are you suggesting its dangerous for me to ride... :(

F*cking nerd... :bonk:

No shit, weve been waitng for you to shut for year's... :smirk:

We have a winner... :banana: :hail:

No, but it is dangerous for the rest of us when you are riding.

forearm_faciotomy.jpg

This is the surgery I was talking about........

As far as other bleeding complications:

What if that bleed is a subdural hematoma? As we age our brain mass (particularly RedRyno's) decreases, this increases the distance to the calvarium, which bridging veins are still associated with. So, know you have a ball with little tethers (blood vessels) attached, floating in your skull. When it bounces off of something--tree, rock, payment.....you can tear the bridging veins. If the veins can't clot, the bleed continues.......stroke or herniation of the brain are possible outcomes.

As far as aspirin for blood pressure.....never heard of it being specfically prescribed for that--only myocardial infarction prophylaxis--but then again, I'm not an internal medicine physician......

All of this is meant purely for educational purposes only, and I do not expect you to get a compartment syndrome or subdural hematoma from riding a dirtbike. I just like to argue..... :smirk:

50 is young Jim--my dad will be 70 this fall, and just bought a new KLR650---course he'll only ride fire trails at best, but still....:smirk:

forearm_faciotomy.jpg

What if that bleed is a subdural hematoma? As we age our brain mass (particularly RedRyno's) decreases, this increases the distance to the calvarium, which bridging veins are still associated with. So, know you have a ball with little tethers (blood vessels) attached, floating in your skull. When it bounces off of something--tree, rock, payment.....you can tear the bridging veins. If the veins can't clot, the bleed continues.......stroke or herniation of the brain are possible outcomes.

As far as aspirin for blood pressure.....never heard of it being specfically prescribed for that--only myocardial infarction prophylaxis--but then again, I'm not an internal medicine physician......

All of this is meant purely for educational purposes only, and I do not expect you to get a compartment syndrome or subdural hematoma from riding a dirtbike. I just like to argue..... :smirk:

Good bye dirt biking....

:smirk:

Young to you ! , if you had my injuries , i would suspect you would be mostly riding a wheelchair, lol , but i also ride like i'm 20 (mentally till my body says otherwise a few laps in , then the age shows , but for the first few laps i can keep up with most 30 years younger , when i am in shape , which i am not at the moment)

and i hate riding fire roads , if thats what the guys i go with want to ride , i tell them to just drive their truck , as its boring as hell to me if its wide enough for a ATV

anyway , i like to argue myself on stuff i believe in , and the Asprin has almost completely eliminated any arm pump i would normally get , and if i forget to take it before i ride , usually withing the first half mile i have to stop so my hands and arms can un-cramp , all i know , is it does work and it works as good or better than any surgery , i actually have a friend that had arm pump surgery , and he still gets it , and now has 2 huge scars going down each arm that did absolutely no good

Lioke i said , if something else works for you or others , thats fine , but if i get hurt enough that i have a hematoma , most likely i will be drooling and needing my ass wiped by someone else anyway , so to me the risk is minimal compared to the side effects of other medications i have tried or been on

I just recently had a issue with some Fibromyalgia meds that made my vision blurry , and kept me up almost all night , and it was prescribed to help me sleep , i ended up doing better on my Soma and Vicodin , so that is what i take at night to help me sleep and during the day to help me get thru the day , it works better than the meds that are specifically for Fibromyalgia , so to me if it works , its better than wasting thousands on stuff that might not do any better in the long run , and to me a few dollars for a bottle of asprin is a whole lot cheaper than thousands in medical bills for surgeries that "might" help or might not ,, anyway , i will take my chances on a hematoma , like i said , if i am that screwed up , chances are , i aint walking again anyway

so the What If theory dont cut it with me , what if i walked out my front door and got hit by a truck , if i have to worry that much i shouldnt be on a dirtbike in the first place !

forearm_faciotomy.jpg

Prison tat gone wrong?