Are you prepared? Its life or death! Would you live?

Most have figured out we love riding in the back country. The farther from life we can get the more we love it. A few rides this year it was 2 hours for the ambulance to meet us at a main road if something where to happen. Alot of the time a 4 wheeler or bike was the only way in or out to where we were. Even to get to where a chopper could land. We ride very careful but we also try to be prepared. I thought out a little senario and thought we would see how everyone would respond. Hopefully this could save someone or atleast make them more prepared. I know there are a ton of details that are missing but lets do our best and keep an open mind.

Okay your 20 miles in on a old mining road in the woods that only a 4 wheeler or bike can ride because of its condition. Your 2 hours from the closest town or city and you have no cell service until you're to town. Its you and 2 other riders. You come around a corner and there is one of your riding partners bikes laying on its side in a pile of rocks when all of sudden you notice they are still under the bike!

You race over and get the bike off of them but they are unconsious. You notice a bone sticking out of there leg below the knee and its bleeding bad. The helmet has some bad scars and scratches on the left side and has slight cracks. They are breathing and everything else seems to be fine other then some scratches and bruses. They are laying face down in the rocks. Your other partner pulls up to the scene.

Its in the fall and its 2pm and its going to be dark around 6pm. Temps are running about 75 and will cool down to 40 shortly after dark.

You have what ever gear you normally carry with you. What do you do?

Would the people you ride with know what to do? have you made a plan before you ride?

Most have figured out we love riding in the back country. The farther from life we can get the more we love it. A few rides this year it was 2 hours for the ambulance to meet us at a main road if something where to happen. Alot of the time a 4 wheeler or bike was the only way in or out to where we were. Even to get to where a chopper could land. We ride very careful but we also try to be prepared. I thought out a little senario and thought we would see how everyone would respond. Hopefully this could save someone or atleast make them more prepared. I know there are a ton of details that are missing but lets do our best and keep an open mind.

Okay your 20 miles in on a old mining road in the woods that only a 4 wheeler or bike can ride because of its condition. Your 2 hours from the closest town or city and you have no cell service until you're to town. Its you and 2 other riders. You come around a corner and there is one of your riding partners bikes laying on its side in a pile of rocks when all of sudden you notice they are still under the bike!

You race over and get the bike off of them but they are unconsious. You notice a bone sticking out of there leg below the knee and its bleeding bad. The helmet has some bad scars and scratches on the left side and has slight cracks. They are breathing and everything else seems to be fine other then some scratches and bruses. They are laying face down in the rocks. Your other partner pulls up to the scene.

Its in the fall and its 2pm and its going to be dark around 6pm. Temps are running about 75 and will cool down to 40 shortly after dark.

You have what ever gear you normally carry with you. What do you do?

Would the people you ride with know what to do? have you made a plan before you ride?

I myself can answer this 2 ways...
1) The group we currently ride with (of whom I grew up riding with) would have no problem taking care of the situation as they've experienced it several times already however I've never been there to see it. 1 situation one of the sons FLEW off a dune in JV and landed hard, casing the bike and broke his ankle, not being able to ride they had to adjust. 10 miles from the highway, accessable only by bike. quad or4x4. Not as serious as the situation you discribed but bad enough...
2) One of the moms that was in a group we had ridden (quads) with briefly was trained in rescue safety. Her stepson had crashed badly in JV (Means DL) where he had ridden too fast over a crater and got out of shape snapping his femor. When we got there she took care of him making sure he was conscious, comfortable and keeping him from going into shock...Because of where we were there was poor to no cell service so someone rode to the highway (mile or 2) to call 911...the decision was to airlift him out.

Check pockets for valuables, divvy up riding gear, leave buddy for the wolves.

PS - Is his wife hot? :devil:

I'll agree with this, however, if kids are involved with the hot wife count me out! Hot or not, the kids will turn into teen agers and that sucks. :naughty:

And for the OP, been there done that on a mountain bike. Learn quick.

Why, you have a hot wife, no kids, and nice riding gear? :smirk::smirk: She would be 20 years yonger than me, but thats ok if she likes old fat slow guys. J/K :banana:

Yep pretty much. She's 24.

IMG_2980copy.jpg

Birtbikerides028copy.jpg

do we have lights on the bikes??? I stay with my buddy If he is unconsious we probably will want to air lift him out. I send the fastest rider down the trail with the bike with a light on it. he called search and rescue. He will be bleading alot so i may have to make a tournocate (dunno if thats how it is spelled) to try to stop the bleeding an probably save his life. If he isnt breathing I would start CPR immediately and continue until the chopper came to pick us up before.

Check pockets for valuables, divvy up riding gear, leave buddy for the wolves.

PS - Is his wife hot? :devil:

I'll agree with this, however, if kids are involved with the hot wife count me out! Hot or not, the kids will turn into teen agers and that sucks. :naughty:

And for the OP, been there done that on a mountain bike. Learn quick.

Remind me not to ride with you guys.:lol:

Why, you have a hot wife, no kids, and nice riding gear? :smirk::smirk: She would be 20 years yonger than me, but thats ok if she likes old fat slow guys. J/K :banana:

Yep pretty much. She's 24.

IMG_2980copy.jpg

Birtbikerides028copy.jpg
Wow Bryce, you just fell to the DBAers tricks and pimped out your wife...:smirk:

After dismounting bike whip out my SPOT and turn it on.

Evaluate the injured rider.

1.) Severe bleeding. If there is arterial blood loss it is imperative to control immediately.
2.) Airway/Breathing
3.) Less severe bleeding and other injuries.

Depending on the extent of the injuries press the 911 button on the SPOT and make sure it is in a place where it can get a signal out. Now you can figure out other stuff like making him comfortable, preventing shock from setting in, etc.

Never had to do any of this yet, thank god. I have seen plenty of injuries, but for the most part everyone has been able to ride
back.