Are you prepared? Its life or death! Would you live?

After dismounting bike whip out my SPOT and turn it on.

Evaluate the injured rider.

1.) Severe bleeding. If there is arterial blood loss it is imperative to control immediately.
2.) Airway/Breathing
3.) Less severe bleeding and other injuries.

Depending on the extent of the injuries press the 911 button on the SPOT and make sure it is in a place where it can get a signal out. Now you can figure out other stuff like making him comfortable, preventing shock from setting in, etc.

Never had to do any of this yet, thank god. I have seen plenty of injuries, but for the most part everyone has been able to ride
back.

I'm actually looking into one of those "Spots" Have you used it much? Ever used the 911 feature? I have been kinda looking at the one that can send messages too but man its a lot of money.

I'm actually looking into one of those "Spots" Have you used it much? Ever used the 911 feature? I have been kinda looking at the one that can send messages too but man its a lot of money.

Never to summon help and I hope it stays that way. There are two models the old and the new. The new one has a better GPS receiver and can send one more bit.

The old one can send three different messages. The first is an OK, the second is HELP, and the third is 911. All three send your current GPS location. The 911 is automatically handed off to emergency response. You can set different predetermined messages that get sent with all three. The messages can be emails and/or SMS text messages to cell numbers. I have mine all setup to my wife.

My main use has been to send the OK message to my wife and she likes that a lot. I ride where the cell does not reach so it is good for her piece of mind.

The main functional difference is a fourth message that can be sent with the new model. There is also a new model that is also a normal GPS receiver. Two units in one.

The biggest issue with them is they don't contact very well under a lot of cover. When I get to a place with a good view of the sky it works 100%. Under heavy tree cover not so much. Same with being in a steep raving with not much access to the sky.

I've seen the first gen SPOT for as low as $35 on craigslist and ebay. Service is $99/yr. There are more extras you can get as well.

Head on over to www.findmespot.com for info.

James

Staff member
:focus:

Okay your 20 miles in on a old mining road in the woods that only a 4 wheeler or bike can ride because of its condition. Your 2 hours from the closest town or city and you have no cell service until you're to town. Its you and 2 other riders. You come around a corner and there is one of your riding partners bikes laying on its side in a pile of rocks when all of sudden you notice they are still under the bike!

You race over and get the bike off of them but they are unconsious. You notice a bone sticking out of there leg below the knee and its bleeding bad. The helmet has some bad scars and scratches on the left side and has slight cracks. They are breathing and everything else seems to be fine other then some scratches and bruses. They are laying face down in the rocks. Your other partner pulls up to the scene.

Its in the fall and its 2pm and its going to be dark around 6pm. Temps are running about 75 and will cool down to 40 shortly after dark.

You have what ever gear you normally carry with you. What do you do?

With me being a MotoHead and always having an ambulance at the ready I don't have to worry about this. :P

But I'll play along...:ride:

Ok first we access the situation and put it in order of importance:

1. Broken tibia/fibula, bleeding profusely
  2. Unconscious, but breathing (If stop breathing, become #1)
  3. Banged up helmet, possible head/neck injuries
First send one rider to nearest town to get help. Second, stop the bleeding, make a tourniquet from the sleeve of a jersey and a small branch. Apply tourniquet and stick the branch between rocks so that you can keep on working. After the tourniquet has been applied, continue looking for more open/bleeding wounds. If none are found move on the head. Remove the goggles and loosen the chin strap, but DO NOT remove helmet as spinal/neck/head injuries are still unknown. Only remove the helmet if patient stops breathing and CPR is needed. Next make a makeshift splint for the leg from strips of clothing and branches. If patient become conscious, alert them to what happened and instruct them to not move. Wait for rescue to arrive.

:noidea: So how did I do?

Doesn't Ossi work in a hospital, should get his input.

With me being a MotoHead and always having an ambulance at the ready I don't have to worry about this. :P

First send one rider to nearest town to get help. Second, stop the bleeding, make a tourniquet from the sleeve of a jersey and a small branch. Apply tourniquet and stick the branch between rocks so that you can keep on working. After the tourniquet has been applied, continue looking for more open/bleeding wounds. If none are found move on the head. Remove the goggles and loosen the chin strap, but DO NOT remove helmet as spinal/neck/head injuries are still unknown. Only remove the helmet if patient stops breathing and CPR is needed. Next make a makeshift splint for the leg from strips of clothing and branches. If patient become conscious, alert them to what happened and instruct them to not move. Wait for rescue to arrive.

This is a great thread and think it can be very helpfull :thumb: It would be neet If we had an offical thread with a sticky maybe to teach people some new ideas or to just give some good advice, maybe even have a guest poster from the forestry or rescue sevice post for us! Just thinkin tho :focus::popcorn:

Oh and i 'm with james would prolly do the same.:prof:

+ 1 what he said.

James

Staff member
This is a great thread and think it can be very helpfull :thumb: It would be neet If we had an offical thread with a sticky maybe to teach people some new ideas or to just give some good advice, maybe even have a guest poster from the forestry or rescue sevice post for us! Just thinkin tho :focus::popcorn:
:thinking: You might be onto something.
yea james pretty much killed the thread.
:hail: Thank You :hail: Thank You, I'll be here all week.:P

Don't forget your a minimum of 4-5 hours until help reaches the main road. Then you have to get the help or your patient to your man down. Temp will be dropping fast as soon as its dark. Are you prepared? :thinking:

Don't forget your a minimum of 4-5 hours until help reaches the main road. Then you have to get the help or your patient to your man down. Temp will be dropping fast as soon as its dark. Are you prepared? :thinking:

I guess you can be only "so prepared". You can only carry so much when riding. Now as far as my Brnco goes...I have a blanket and a jacket and water for 2 days...:thumb:

I guess you can be only "so prepared". You can only carry so much when riding. Now as far as my Brnco goes...I have a blanket and a jacket and water for 2 days...:thumb:
:thumb: A space blanket is a good thing to carry in the fanny pack or backpack. Small and works great.

If the bone is broken below the knee and he comes conscious and does not mention pain anywhere else. I would put him on my bike and ride him out. I broke my ankle in 2 places (That now has a plate and 6 screws holding it together) and I was the only one in the group that knew how to get back to the trucks that were 8 miles away and we were up in the trees. Rode it back with the leg dangling....

:thumb: A space blanket is a good thing to carry in the fanny pack or backpack. Small and works great.

If the bone is broken below the knee and he comes conscious and does not mention pain anywhere else. I would put him on my bike and ride him out. I broke my ankle in 2 places (That now has a plate and 6 screws holding it together) and I was the only one in the group that knew how to get back to the trucks that were 8 miles away and we were up in the trees. Rode it back with the leg dangling....

Oooch, ouch, oooch ouch...waTCH THAT...:foul:....bump...:shocked:...:cry:

And Chuck Norris thought he was tough :smirk:

Definitely +1 on the space blanket. My last one kind of fell apart and I need to get a new one.

Riding out injured is the number 1 reason that I want an electric start bike.

Carrying enough stuff is always an issue in a dirt bike. I always carry a backpack and I carry way more than just about anyone that I have ever been on a trail with. I'm lucky if the people I ride with bring enough water to not cut the ride short. I try to always have a first aid kit of some kind. Nothing too major but some stuff for bleeding and a way to wrap it up.

Riding out injured is the number 1 reason that I want an electric start bike. I try to always have a first aid kit of some kind. Nothing too major but some stuff for bleeding and a way to wrap it up.

1) I'm gonna use that one with my wife on my next bike.....

2) I too carry some F/A stuff...anti-ceptic, wipes, bandana, gauze (i think), band aids,.....

And Chuck Norris thought he was tough :smirk:
I can take Chuck Norris:devil:

Definitely +1 on the space blanket. My last one kind of fell apart and I need to get a new one.

Riding out injured is the number 1 reason that I want an electric start bike.

Carrying enough stuff is always an issue in a dirt bike. I always carry a backpack and I carry way more than just about anyone that I have ever been on a trail with. I'm lucky if the people I ride with bring enough water to not cut the ride short. I try to always have a first aid kit of some kind. Nothing too major but some stuff for bleeding and a way to wrap it up.
Luckily I was on the 250 2 stroker and it was my left foot, so I did the grit my teeth, lean on the broken foot and one kick start and off we go. Going through monster whoops with your leg dangling is challenging...