Any bowlers in here?

I just recently found a ball for $6 at a thrift shop so I picked it up... Then I found one in the closet at my gmas house... :bonk: Anyways the one I bought is a 16 pounder and the other is a 14 and I've been trying to learn how to hook with the lighter one. I'm usually around a 100 straight line bowling with the heavy one and topped out at 122 the other day. Last night I took the light one out for the first time and got a 117 top while trying to hook but I'm getting more of a vertical axis spin instead of a nice sideways roll... Anyone got tips?

the best tip i can give you for throwing spin is as you throw the ball pretend you are putting your hand out for a hand shake.

I never could throw spin untill my buddy tld me that and it clicked. my best game ever was 247 but i dont bowl often anymore so i suck now and prolly average in the 120 to 150 range these days.

I just recently found a ball for $6 at a thrift shop so I picked it up... Then I found one in the closet at my gmas house... :bonk: Anyways the one I bought is a 16 pounder and the other is a 14 and I've been trying to learn how to hook with the lighter one. I'm usually around a 100 straight line bowling with the heavy one and topped out at 122 the other day. Last night I took the light one out for the first time and got a 117 top while trying to hook but I'm getting more of a vertical axis spin instead of a nice sideways roll... Anyone got tips?

What type of weights do the balls have? if the weights are oblong it'll hook, but if they're round like most beginner balls are, they're made to go straight for ease of use.

What type of weights do the balls have? if the weights are oblong it'll hook, but if they're round like most beginner balls are, they're made to go straight for ease of use.

i'm not sure... i'll have to look tomorrow and see what kind they are

Admitted bowling nerd here. I've league bowled for about 12 yrs and wonder why I do this to myself, I suck! :lol: My ave is about 142, high game 213. I don't throw a hook, but throw a really nice backup ball that hits the brooklyn side, needs correction, but is how I roll, lol. Take a quick 30 min lesson sometime, not $$ and could end up being money well spent.

I haven't bowled for years cause the nearest bowling alley is 50 miles away from where I live. But back in the day, I used to carry a high 180's average, with several 700 series and a high game of 279. I miss the league play even to this day.:thumb:

P.S. Notice that geek in in my name.

thanks guys... i've watched some youtube vids now and practiced on the carpet from my lazy boy and actually have a good grasp on how to hook it, it looks good rolling it a couple feet...lol. The lighter ball is a Galaxie 300 and from what i've read has zero hook too it, the heavier is a Ebonite Tornado and says moderate hook but it's just to heavy and i don't want to break my wrist trying for it. Hopefully i'll being going again tonight cause my cousin owes me a few rounds

I'm an admitted bowling nerd! Hey! Not a bunch to do when its no degrees F outside and a foot of snow on the ground! I sub on a league, and if you never went "Cosmic Bowling" at midnight with your woman and some couples, well, ya gotta try it! For $20 a head, you bowl from midnight till 2am...as many games as you can play. They play cool tunes, have fog and black lights, crazy video projections, and cheap beer/drink/food specials! It's fun as hell!

Don't ask me for tips on technique! I'm a freak! I have catchers' mitts for hands and actually just palm the ball and don't use the holes! I get some wicked spin and a nasty hook that comes in at a huge angle into the pocket! :thumb: AVG is 172, high game ever was 276, high series ever was 686.

Incidentally, I prefer the word "keggling" to "bowling"! :prof:

:smirk:

I'm an admitted bowling nerd! Hey! Not a bunch to do when its no degrees F outside and a foot of snow on the ground! I sub on a league, and if you never went "Cosmic Bowling" at midnight with your woman and some couples, well, ya gotta try it! For $20 a head, you bowl from midnight till 2am...as many games as you can play. They play cool tunes, have fog and black lights, crazy video projections, and cheap beer/drink/food specials! It's fun as hell!

Don't ask me for tips on technique! I'm a freak! I have catchers' mitts for hands and actually just palm the ball and don't use the holes! I get some wicked spin and a nasty hook that comes in at a huge angle into the pocket! :thumb:

Incidentally, I prefer the word "keggling" to "bowling"! :prof:

:smirk:
haha... nice, yeah i just learned the term "keggling" I've done the cosmic bowling before, they actually do it on a regular basis but just the lights. It's $4 a game here and $3 for shoes wish it was cheaper...

a new bowling ally/bar opened in the escondido mall and its bad ass.

its like the midnight bowling with chaning color lights and all the balls are brightly colored for the lights. Also has a cool option for when you bring your kids. they mark each bowler as a bumper bowler or non. when the kids turn is up the bumpers pop outta the ground and go away when they are done.

here is a link with some pics of the place
http://www.ncsdproperties.com/north-county-tavern-bowl

That place looks awesome :thumb: we really need something better here or at least better owners, I asked about them letting me rent a lane for a couple hours instead of by the game so I could learn how to hook the ball to which he said "the only place that does s#it like that is Visalia lanes" I was like... Really dude? You have 12 lanes and half of them never get used... Kinda a bum night, I was on my way to a great game then my cousin started goofing off and I was having to control him... Ended up going from a spare and 2 strikes to a gutter ball in almost ever frame :foul: ended up with a 120

yea i need a better ball. i have a hammer that a friend gave to me and it really dont fit my fingers too well. sometimes it slips out and sometimes it sticks. makes my throw really inconsistant.

last game i played i threw a strike then the next frame 2 gutterballs :picard: thats the worst.

yea i need a better ball. i have a hammer that a friend gave to me and it really dont fit my fingers too well. sometimes it slips out and sometimes it sticks. makes my throw really inconsistant.

last game i played i threw a strike then the next frame 2 gutterballs :picard: thats the worst.
Still have my Hammer too. Go to a pro shop, have him plug the holes and redrill for you to your finger specs.