250 Another YZ 250 in the Stable

Another ground up rebuild. Picked up a bike with the rod done. Top end was within spec. New needle bearing, piston pin, C clips. Decided to keep myself busy since I was done with Jims.
Evelyn, the grand daughter helper.
image.jpg
Pointing out the importance of OEM.
image.jpg
Double checking Opa got the right torque.
image.jpg
She really is a blast to have in the shop working. Teach her young, then she can fix her 50 when in breaks.
image.jpg
The frame was a little rough on this one.
image.jpg
My buddy and IPC to the rescue. (Thanks Timo!)
image.jpg
Chased all the threads, cleaned up all the pivot and bolt mounts.
image.jpg
And added a new graphics kit, rear fender, rad scoops and newer, front fender and side plastics.
image.jpg
By next weekend, I hope to have this thing CL flipped with cash in my hands.

Another ground up rebuild. Picked up a bike with the rod done. Top end was within spec. New needle bearing, piston pin, C clips. Decided to keep myself busy since I was done with Jims.
Evelyn, the grand daughter helper.
View attachment 25235
Pointing out the importance of OEM.
View attachment 25236
Double checking Opa got the right torque.
View attachment 25237
She really is a blast to have in the shop working. Teach her young, then she can fix her 50 when in breaks.
View attachment 25242
The frame was a little rough on this one.
View attachment 25238
My buddy and IPC to the rescue. (Thanks Timo!)
View attachment 25239
Chased all the threads, cleaned up all the pivot and bolt mounts.
View attachment 25240
And added a new graphics kit, rear fender, rad scoops and newer, front fender and side plastics.
View attachment 25241
By next weekend, I hope to have this thing CL flipped with cash in my hands.

I like the pic of the frame on the bench with the engine in the background almost looks like it's installed.....by the way those are some nice zebra threads.

Does anybody know how to clean the bearings in the bottom end. I split my case on my 2000 yz 250 and while using grease lighting to clean the outer part of the cases the bearings seem to have gotten some dirt in them. Tried to spray them down with grease lightning and also tried spinning them and also using a compressor. Nothing seems to work:/. I was thinking maybe when is all back together just fill with cheap oil and run for a bit and drain oil that hopefully will catch all the dirt. But I am having a hard time putting my cases back together knowing there is some stick in some bearings (my piston skirt also blew into pieces littering my motor with fairly large shavings so there could be some in the bearings too). My dad said bath in mineral spirits but not sure if that is good for seals and bearings. I NEED HELP WITH IDEAS

1) NEVER use the air compressor to spin the bearings dry or clean.
2) Use the same oil you would use on the bearings to "flush" them out.
3) It is a wise choice to NEVER reassemble a motor unless you are 100% sure it is ready to reassemble.
I put a hose in a bottle of oil, run it up to a Y connector with the air blower on it. It acts as a syphon and pulls the oil up to flush the bearing.
4) welcome to the forum.
If you can afford OEM seals, get the "Tusk" kit and reassemble the motor with "new" crank bearings.

Welcome to DBA Tom.

I know I've used diesle fuel or just premix to flush out my 2stroke crankcase after losing material from a piston, or wiping out a cylinder. Instead of splitting the case and going thru it all, I just fill it with either premix or diesle, wing that crank around a little, dump out fuel, refill repeat. When I'm confident I've got all the material out I'll follow up by squirting a little straight 2stroke oil on the crank and Conrod bearings before I reassemble top end.

Welcome to DBA Tom.

I know I've used diesle fuel or just premix to flush out my 2stroke crankcase after losing material from a piston, or wiping out a cylinder. Instead of splitting the case and going thru it all, I just fill it with either premix or diesle, wing that crank around a little, dump out fuel, refill repeat. When I'm confident I've got all the material out I'll follow up by squirting a little straight 2stroke oil on the crank and Conrod bearings before I reassemble top end.
Thanks but I did that when my motor blew up and after I replaced my piston my bottom end bearings went bad... Bad luck I guess but anyway when I split my case I found LARGE chunks of piston where the crank was but cleaned that out. I guess I should just use diesel to flush all of the bearings because all my bearings are (crunchy) and grinding.

Thanks but I did that when my motor blew up and after I replaced my piston my bottom end bearings went bad... Bad luck I guess but anyway when I split my case I found LARGE chunks of piston where the crank was but cleaned that out. I guess I should just use diesel to flush all of the bearings because all my bearings are (crunchy) and grinding.

I Had success on three different occasions doing that. I could have been bitten by missing a chunk of material I didn't see. But it hasn't happened yet.