Alarm set for "Dawn Patrol"

Lets see it is 10pm, truck is loaded and I set my alarm for 3am! Yes I said 3! Gives me 30 minutes to flip the switch on the coffee maker, throw on my gear and get out the door to pick up AgentSmith's wife at 4 to then load her bike and be at Gorman BEFORE THE SUNRISE! We often try to get there before the sun does and for whatever reason we are running late and NEVER get there before the actual sunrise. Always just after. So tomorrow were trying again. Sunrise is at 5:52 am.

I mean really I otta have this under control and all being the "SUN"

Just thought I'd share since it is summer and this is how we roll in the blistering summer heat!
Any other dawn patrol peeps?
:ride:
Post up some dawnage! Such a great time of day. Everything cooled down and fresh!

Now I better get some:snore:

Its gona be hot. Plenty of water.

Called 911 for one of our truck drivers today. Overheated and an ambulance ride..

Be safe Sun:thumb:

good luck with beating yourself! :thumb: :smirk:

Its gona be hot. Plenty of water.

Called 911 for one of our truck drivers today. Overheated and an ambulance ride..

Be safe Sun:thumb:

Yea because everywhere I go....there I am so it's hard to get ahead of myself.

And yes Payloan, plenty of water! Very Important! In fact, Im hydrating now which means Im going to wake before the alarm :rant:dammit! Just hope i can get back to sleep if I do.

Dawn Patrol :cheers: The key to DP, as Sun knows, you're in the truck cab with the AC by 10:00, when it's still in the 80's. I like to be on the bike by 4:30, and go cruise around with my stock light u while I wait for the Sun.:thumb:

yea sun that's how to do it... i personally have to hydrate before the ride and during. if i don't i get headaches and can feel :puke: in the heat like that. Made that mistake riding with PBK out in vegas one week.

I'm a confirmed dawn patrol member when it's hot. I have it a lot easier though. I wake up, get a little coffee and food and then gear up. I open the garage door and roll out my trusty steed. Close the door and ride. Less than 5 limes to the Drinkwater staging, and a bit more to the Bouquet back door entrance of Rowher.

I laugh at those unloading at 9:30 when it's already approaching 90.

One thing about the early summer rides. It's better solo (with my SPOT). There is usually about zero wind and the dust can be brutal. Some wind usually starts up by 7 or so.

I don't know about that 3AM stuff. Seems kind of nuts to me. I've done 4:30 AM with the bike in the truck on several occasions. I usually don't do a lot in the morning. It's about 10 to 15 minutes from alarm to hitting the road. I take my coffee to go.

If you hit the higher forest trails out of Hungry Valley it's not usually that bad even when it's 100+ on the valley floor. Most of the LPNF trails are at 5000 feet or above. I will always hang for a while up top.

James

Staff member
That's awesome, hope you got some pictures for a ride report. :thumb:

As I have to work during the morning/day, I always ride from 7:30-8:00pm until a little past sunset. But one of these days I need to try it in the morning. :ride:

I'm a confirmed dawn patrol member when it's hot. I have it a lot easier though. I wake up, get a little coffee and food and then gear up. I open the garage door and roll out my trusty steed. Close the door and ride. Less than 5 limes to the Drinkwater staging, and a bit more to the Bouquet back door entrance of Rowher.

One thing about the early summer rides. It's better solo (with my SPOT). There is usually about zero wind and the dust can be brutal. Some wind usually starts up by 7 or so.

I don't know about that 3AM stuff. Seems kind of nuts to me. I've done 4:30 AM with the bike in the truck on several occasions. I usually don't do a lot in the morning. It's about 10 to 15 minutes from alarm to hitting the road. I take my coffee to go.

If you hit the higher forest trails out of Hungry Valley it's not usually that bad even when it's 100+ on the valley floor. Most of the LPNF trails are at 5000 feet or above. I will always hang for a while up top.

I remember going up to Big Bear to ride/camp in the summer over the 4th of July when it was 100F at home in Corona and around 85 in the mountains...very comfy especially when we rode to Deep Creek to get cooled off. :thumb:

Lets see it is 10pm, truck is loaded and I set my alarm for 3am! Yes I said 3! Gives me 30 minutes to flip the switch on the coffee maker, throw on my gear and get out the door to pick up AgentSmith's wife at 4 to then load her bike and be at Gorman BEFORE THE SUNRISE! We often try to get there before the sun does and for whatever reason we are running late and NEVER get there before the actual sunrise. Always just after. So tomorrow were trying again. Sunrise is at 5:52 am.

I mean really I otta have this under control and all being the "SUN"

Just thought I'd share since it is summer and this is how we roll in the blistering summer heat!
Any other dawn patrol peeps?
:ride:
Post up some dawnage! Such a great time of day. Everything cooled down and fresh!

Now I better get some:snore:

I wish my group still did this...even when the weather wasn't too hot to ride we'd still start out at 7:00 for the first of several rides now it's breakfast first, then a leisurely attempt at gearing up just to find out most don't want to ride, they'd rather go in their 4x4's...Hope you had a good ride, wanna see some pic's.....

Dawn Patrol :cheers: The key to DP, as Sun knows, you're in the truck cab with the AC by 10:00, when it's still in the 80's. I like to be on the bike by 4:30, and go cruise around with my stock light u while I wait for the Sun.:thumb:

yea sun that's how to do it... i personally have to hydrate before the ride and during. if i don't i get headaches and can feel :puke: in the heat like that. Made that mistake riding with PBK out in vegas one week.

That's awesome, hope you got some pictures for a ride report. :thumb:

As I have to work during the morning/day, I always ride from 7:30-8:00pm until a little past sunset. But one of these days I need to try it in the morning. :ride:

I wish my group still did this...even when the weather wasn't too hot to ride we'd still start out at 7:00 for the first of several rides now it's breakfast first, then a leisurely attempt at gearing up just to find out most don't want to ride, they'd rather go in their 4x4's...Hope you had a good ride, wanna see some pic's.....

Yes Tim....that is the way I want it to be on bike by 4:30...it didnt happen THAT early this morning dammit! AGAIN! But I was off the bike by 11am. Did just over 65 miles.

Travace, Hydrating the night before is key as much as during. I was chugging liquids this morning and only pee'd once. CAN YOU SAY SWEAT??? But that ahhhhh good sweat! especially in an AC jersey where you feel the breeze through it and it helps cool you down, you just need to keep moving:ride:

Cleonard, Im jealous! out the door and on the bike:rolleyes:must be nice! I had to leave at 3 if I wanted to be there by 5 something. Im in Agoura and had to pick up someone in Santa Clarita first.
I hear ya on the dust though! Plus, this time of year those trails are really chewed up at Rowher and I imagine Drinkwater too. For that matter almost everywhere this time of year. I too like solo riding, I went back out for another 20 or so miles alone after our initial loop. Havent been up to the LPNF yet this summer. LETS GO! IM READY! ANYONE! But it better be damn early:smirk:

James, Evening riding is awesome too! Though often warmer, wish I didnt have stock lighting on my bike. :(

Rez, I hear ya on the group thing getting it together. It is always like that on large group camping/outings. OK, 9am sharp were hitting the trail! YEAH RIGHT! More like 11 if your lucky! Perfect riding is weekday 2-4 people all close to same skill levels and spread out. Other fun and pleasures come with group situations, not usually the riding. I dont go on those trips with expectations but almost always have good time regardless. I dont know where Norco is but maybe you Cleonard, Weathergeek and I should do the LPNF some early morning weekday. Anyone else here welcomed too:thumb: James can ride bitch on the back of Cleonard's bike:lol: I may do weekend in the forest if someone else rides shot gun.

Geek, is Frazier really closed? No way, I dont believe it!

Report:
I decided to set my alarm for 3 and sleep on the couch so I didnt wake my Husband. But for some reason my :rant:alarm did not go off! Instead at 4am I heard a subtle message tone and it was a text from my friend asking if I was on the road already. Within 10 minutes I was out the door. You'd thought I was running for my life! I so wanted to be there early! And yet again I was heading out later then I wanted. I drove 80 plus all the way to Santa Clarita, loaded up her bike and stuff and wam bam! off we went! Eating bananas, sipping coffee, radio cranked, heads bobbin as we sang to the music. Getting there at 5:30:rolleyes: on the bikes by 6:15. (better then 9 but not as good as 4) We did a fun loop taking a nice break in some shade where we ate a picnic we packed, because that is part of our dawn patrol tradition. When we got back to the truck it was about 9:45. A couple rolled in and parked near us and began having some bike issues. I went back out for another run while my friend stayed back. While I was gone she offered her bike to ride to the couple having problems with their bike. She said bring it back within 30 minutes. By the time I got back and took my gear off they rolled up. As it turns out the guy works at the moto shop I frequent. He was surprised to see me yet not, small world the moto world is. He was cool and said in the future "see me for deals," I said heck yeah I will:thumb: And then we loaded up, headed out and were to Stone Fire Grill for our favorite after ride Tri Tip salad tradition by 12:00noon. Didnt get any good pics but here are a few. Who's next for dawn patrol??? I have to say when I camped with timoys I was jealous when I heard their bikes fired up for some dawn patrol. Had I known they were sneaking off I would been right there with them! It was a large group we were camped with, I understand their sneakness but next time I will be just as sneaky :devil:and follow them!
IMG_1627.jpg

IMG_1637.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

IMG_1640.jpg

Good way to beat the heat and still ride. :thumb: I always try to find a creek on along the route to cool off and clean the dust off, not always possible but makes it much more enjoyable.

I thought about this thread as I made the drive today from the Bay Area to Escondido. 2:30 pm as I was heading up and over the hill to get to 5 it read 106 :puke: didn't drop below 100 much at all till I neared Santa Clarita I think around 7:30 pm.