9-18-2010 - Ride Report - crusin the Los Padres National Forest

I am sitting here at home after 3.5 hours at Talbert Medical this afternoon. I have a deep bruise to my mid-upper left side of my back that periodically spasms causing great discomfort. Discomfort? Hell, I've never experienced such pain. They gave me a pain shot before sending me for x-rays, it didn't help much. I couldn't even get in my pickup for the ride home. Barbara had to take the truck home and come back for me in her Durango. The Vicodin and the muscle relaxer is giving me some respite from the spasms and pain for now but after only two hours, it is starting to wear off.

What a klutz I am. I'll rig a strap hookup to keep the ramp from moving in the future. Ironic that I just took the slips, trips and falls training at work.:rolleyes:

I am sitting here at home after 3.5 hours at Talbert Medical this afternoon. I have a deep bruise to my mid-upper left side of my back that periodically spasms causing great discomfort. Discomfort? Hell, I've never experienced such pain. They gave me a pain shot before sending me for x-rays, it didn't help much. I couldn't even get in my pickup for the ride home. Barbara had to take the truck home and come back for me in her Durango. The Vicodin and the muscle relaxer is giving me some respite from the spasms and pain for now but after only two hours, it is starting to wear off.

What a klutz I am. I'll rig a strap hookup to keep the ramp from moving in the future. Ironic that I just took the slips, trips and falls training at work.:rolleyes:

Sounds like NO FUN!! I have recently been there myself and am still recovering.

So, tell us what got you in this condition?

Oh crap Steve. Hope you get feeling better quickly. You dropped pretty hard off that ramp while unloading your bike. I was surprised you got up as fast as you did after the fall. and even more surprised you rode the entire morning without showing any pain.

I use two 2"x12"x8' planks to load and unload the bikes. On one of them, I made a tounge out of some steel plate so it makes a smooth transition for the bike's tires from the tailgate onto the ramp. I left the other ramp blank and that is the one I walk up and down on while loading/unloading. I never liked using a stand and having to make the steps up and down. I prefer the ramp board to walk on so I am at the same level as the bike as I go up and down. I usually have lots of overlap to the tailgate, maybe 6 to 8 inches.

I was backing my WR426 out and as I started to straighten out the bike to center the rear tire on the ramp, I must have put too much weight onto the walking ramp causing it to slide on the hard packed dirt until the top end of the ramp went past the lip of the tailgate. The ramp went down, I dropped straight down and the bike followed. Jill told me she heard it and looked out the back window and only saw the front wheel of the bike on the tailgate. I don't remember that because I was hitting on my butt and then flopped back until the back of my head hit the dirt. I didn't see much point in lying on the ground hurting so I got up and determined that it still hurt. It was noticeable pain during the ride but the motions made during normal riding didn't cause more pain. Only once when the bars pulled on my arms as the front end took a dip did I get hit with a sharp increase in pain. Besides, I drove up there, I needed to get my money's worth so if I wasn't broken, I was a riding!

I guess the full weight of the bike didn't end up on me. I only have one little mark in the middle of my chest. I guess the flop to my back was hard enough to deep bruise only and not break any bones. The full effect of that started to hit me Sunday morning as Jill and I were walking in to the Sand and Sports show at the Orange County fairgrounds. I mowed the lawn late in the afternoon because I could pull the start cord OK but that is when the muscle spasms started. They continued today while I was at work, just sitting at my desk so I headed for the walk-in clinic. Fortunately, the spasms hit only when I was stopped at a red like coming out of the parking structure.

Lesson learned for me is to make sure my ramps are secured to the truck. I'll fashion some tie points for some straps and sure as hell use them next time out for a ride.

I use two 2"x12"x8' planks to load and unload the bikes. On one of them, I made a tounge out of some steel plate so it makes a smooth transition for the bike's tires from the tailgate onto the ramp. I left the other ramp blank and that is the one I walk up and down on while loading/unloading. I never liked using a stand and having to make the steps up and down. I prefer the ramp board to walk on so I am at the same level as the bike as I go up and down. I usually have lots of overlap to the tailgate, maybe 6 to 8 inches.

I was backing my WR426 out and as I started to straighten out the bike to center the rear tire on the ramp, I must have put too much weight onto the walking ramp causing it to slide on the hard packed dirt until the top end of the ramp went past the lip of the tailgate. The ramp went down, I dropped straight down and the bike followed. Jill told me she heard it and looked out the back window and only saw the front wheel of the bike on the tailgate. I don't remember that because I was hitting on my butt and then flopped back until the back of my head hit the dirt. I didn't see much point in lying on the ground hurting so I got up and determined that it still hurt. It was noticeable pain during the ride but the motions made during normal riding didn't cause more pain. Only once when the bars pulled on my arms as the front end took a dip did I get hit with a sharp increase in pain. Besides, I drove up there, I needed to get my money's worth so if I wasn't broken, I was a riding!

I guess the full weight of the bike didn't end up on me. I only have one little mark in the middle of my chest. I guess the flop to my back was hard enough to deep bruise only and not break any bones. The full effect of that started to hit me Sunday morning as Jill and I were walking in to the Sand and Sports show at the Orange County fairgrounds. I mowed the lawn late in the afternoon because I could pull the start cord OK but that is when the muscle spasms started. They continued today while I was at work, just sitting at my desk so I headed for the walk-in clinic. Fortunately, the spasms hit only when I was stopped at a red like coming out of the parking structure.

Lesson learned for me is to make sure my ramps are secured to the truck. I'll fashion some tie points for some straps and sure as hell use them next time out for a ride.

I have always been afraid of that happening. That is why I always do it with another when possible. Hope you feel better soon.:thumb:

The spasms have retreated to almost none for today. I'll have to go to work tomorrow. I missed out taking a trip to Dallas on Wed and Thurs but it looks like I'll make it on a trip to Escondido Sunday night thru Tuesday afternoon.

Only one Vicodin today! Ima feelin like Ima healin. My family and friends got a laugh out of the Vimeo video Ron posted. My sister said I'm crazy. That is what Loco is all about!

Hope ya get better soon. I'm not gonna ask if you wanna ride this weekend, cause your loco enough to do it. LOLOLOL. get all healed up so we can hit it again when your better.

did you run into any giant killer bees?
9251025.jpg