125 89 YZ125

FYI, that particular mikuni with the individual float lobes is very convenient to set. You first need to make sure that the two tangs on that yoke are even and level with each other. Now set the body with the yoke in place upside down on a flat surface. The Oklahoma default setting is to see that those two arms are level with the gasket surface, when the needle and brass tab just make contact. Set it or hold it in the level position and you will see that the angle created by the tangs and the needle in relationship to each other is right at 90 degrees. maximum leverage is achieved there for max pressure to shut off. It is the default design. Lots of us change that, but the factory usually sends them set at 90. like you used to see in those carb rebuild kits for any number of automobile carbs. Usually there was a little square item included in the kit to make that 90 degree setting easier. Yamaha recognizes that as your float needle wears and the spring sacks out, that your shut off point will come later. that is why they show figures using what amounts to be a sight tube (easily made from the drain plug) so you can see what that actual level is. knowing what the measured setting is with the float bowl off saves lots of time, but having the sight tube is very handy.
:prof: :jawdrop: :clap: And now I know too :thumb:
You guys got dirt yet?

I got this thing running about a week ago. Took it for a ride and it revved but didn't really go anywhere, so I ordered a cheap clutch and heavy duty spring set from eBay. Put them in last night and went to ride it, went even less than it did on the first ride. Determined that I put the clutch boss spring, the wavy round thing, in the wrong position. So I put it in the correct spot, now it moves like it did when I first rode it, not much.

I've read that the basket and driven gear can get chatter grooves in them. I noticed that mine has them, but they're not real deep or sharp. Clutch cable is adjusted properly but its super hard to pull the lever in.

It has oil in it.

What am I missing ?

I got this thing running about a week ago. Took it for a ride and it revved but didn't really go anywhere, so I ordered a cheap clutch and heavy duty spring set from eBay. Put them in last night and went to ride it, went even less than it did on the first ride. Determined that I put the clutch boss spring, the wavy round thing, in the wrong position. So I put it in the correct spot, now it moves like it did when I first rode it, not much.

I've read that the basket and driven gear can get chatter grooves in them. I noticed that mine has them, but they're not real deep or sharp. Clutch cable is adjusted properly but its super hard to pull the lever in.

It has oil in it.

What am I missing ?

You have the correct number of plates in and in the correct order?

Moving forward, in reverse.

I filed down the chatter marks. I noticed when all the plates are in, it feels like the pack is too thick??? The plates are just a smidge proud of the clutch boss. This is obviously before I torqued down the pressure plate.

Now the bike moves like it should through the gears and doesn't slip, but now the clutch doesn't disengage when I pull the lever. So when I drop it into gear it dies.

Any thoughts?

I've got the correct amount of plates and the spring ring in the right spot, checked it 3 times. I'm gonna take it apart today and measure the plates and compare them to the old ones. That stack seemed a little thick to me. Its a heavy duty clutch with heavy duty springs & the steel plates felt a little beefier to me. If it dont work it'll get back-burned. It's getting warm here now and I've got 2 bikes that run again, and I'm rebuilding the KXF engine now too, so hopefully have that running by the end of summer.
It's all good. Preciate the help.

I knew Doug before he was picked up by Yamaha and running Privateer (75-80). His older brother/driver/mechanic was a hoot and pops was pretty dang cool also, good times back in the day. Met him through a friend that grew up with him in grade school down in Costa Mesa.
Doug Dubach, I briefly met him in 1990 at dfw airport at a apt cafeteria, one extremely nice and polite person, I worked apt security while in college. Cool deal Palmer!