250F 2014 yz250f has what!? Fuel injection?

Yeah but I want the reliability of a 4 stroke and Yamaha definitely offers that. I have had my 125 for two years now this year will be my third and I just want to upgrade. I don't want to rebuild the damn thing twice a year. I want to ride it in the summer. Take apart and clean in the winter. Not clean in the winter, get two rides in, Rebuild my fork seals, ride 8 more times, replace top end, ride one more time, store for the winter. Yeah a 125 would be nice to keep but I only have the money for one bike.

I get the whole you want to upgrade but if you are re-building a two stroke twice a year and still parking it in the winter time you might get 3-4 rides out a 4-stroke before its on the operating table.

My father in law has a 2000 YZ 250 with probably 100 hours easy on one top end. at that is being VERY generous on the hours.

Not to mention the price tag would be 3 times that of a two stroke. So I would have to agree with josmoloco that there is some sort of user error involved.

It did that once and that's because the mechanic I had do it didn't touch the jetting after he put the reed valves and exhaust on. We have it locked down now and she has been using the same piston since September. Although I haven't got much ride time in. It just gets annoying. A piston for me will last maybe 25 hours where the yz250f can last over 100 as long as you maintain it well.

It did that once and that's because the mechanic I had do it didn't touch the jetting after he put the reed valves and exhaust on. We have it locked down now and she has been using the same piston since September. Although I haven't got much ride time in. It just gets annoying. A piston for me will last maybe 25 hours where the yz250f can last over 100 as long as you maintain it well.

A yz125 should last at least half as long as a yz250f with the same rider. The cost and time to rebuild should be much less too.

I get the whole you want to upgrade but if you are re-building a two stroke twice a year and still parking it in the winter time you might get 3-4 rides out a 4-stroke before its on the operating table.

My father in law has a 2000 YZ 250 with probably 100 hours easy on one top end. at that is being VERY generous on the hours.

Not to mention the price tag would be 3 times that of a two stroke. So I would have to agree with josmoloco that there is some sort of user error involved.
Does your dad do motocross or is it more trails? one thing is though, the 125 has to try twice as hard to keep up with the 250. I am happy for you that the yz250 has done that. But, every time I hop on the bike I ring its neck because you need to do that on a 125. 125 pistons just don't last long. And I do very good maintanice on all my things. Its just the jetting is sketchy because that's how the rod bearing gets oil. Where a four stroke already has oil and you just need to play with the jetting to get the right air/fuel mixture. The piston will still last long but you just wont be getting the same amount of power.

I don't know about that jos. That means I could get 50 hours out of my piston and in motocross, it just can't. Probably trails but motocross is either braking or pinned.

James

Staff member

You will not get 100 hours out of a 250f piston, they're rated for no more than 50 hrs and that's if you're a slow poke like me. Most replace them at 30-40 hrs. Fast guys replace them around 20 hrs.

Valves though will last you over 100 hours. :thumb:

Kyle your definitly about to take a step down the wrong road if you want to buy a bike that is going to require less maintenance. And Jetting is just as important on a 4 stroke because it will get way to hot when it gets lean and instead of buying a new crank and piston tops as your would for a 2 stroke, you are looking at valves, head, cylinder, and piston at the least easily putting the cost for 1 rebuild over the cost of the 3-4 you have done on your YZ. If you want a new bike thats a 4 stroke thats fine, just don't expect it to be less work or less cost in any way, shape or form.

On a side note, Yamaha is on their fuggin game this year http://rideapart.com/2013/06/2014-yamaha-fz-09-three-cylinders-eight-thousand-bucks/

on a side note I wouldn't exactly say honda and kawi have efi down either, both of them suffer from rather extreme fuel dilution which drastically cuts down the life of the cranks.

nothing wrong with a bike that has a carb. Factory KTM still uses a carb on the baja bikes. It is the KISS system. Lot less electronics to fail. I dont know why they would turn the motor around on the 250 after all the races said they hated it on the 450. Seems like they are shooting their-selves in the foot. Especially with the desert guys.

Not all the racers, one racer in particular, and he had a reputation of crashing bikes before the reverse slant motor came along.
2012 GNCC overall champion was a reverse cylinder yamaha

If the bike was suffering from poor sales, do you think yamaha would have made its little brother a reverse cylinder? Obviously they must be selling otherwise no sane company would do this.

Not all the racers, one racer in particular, and he had a reputation of crashing bikes before the reverse slant motor came along.
2012 GNCC overall champion was a reverse cylinder yamaha

If the bike was suffering from poor sales, do you think yamaha would have made its little brother a reverse cylinder? Obviously they must be selling otherwise no sane company would do this.

I do agree with you to an extent. But there were a few guys that where offered that yz ride and turned it down after they rode it because they didn't like it. Hopefully the 250 is better. the frame is a better design and thats why the wr 450 was such a nice machine.

I forgot about Whibley he is a bad dude and he sure does ride that yamaha well.

Kyle your definitly about to take a step down the wrong road if you want to buy a bike that is going to require less maintenance. And Jetting is just as important on a 4 stroke because it will get way to hot when it gets lean and instead of buying a new crank and piston tops as your would for a 2 stroke, you are looking at valves, head, cylinder, and piston at the least easily putting the cost for 1 rebuild over the cost of the 3-4 you have done on your YZ. If you want a new bike thats a 4 stroke thats fine, just don't expect it to be less work or less cost in any way, shape or form.

On a side note, Yamaha is on their fuggin game this year http://rideapart.com/2013/06/2014-yamaha-fz-09-three-cylinders-eight-thousand-bucks/
I plan on keeping it completely stock lol. I don't think I'll even touch the suspension. Just ride it stock. I'm not sure if I like the three cylinder thing. 4 has worked for such a long time. I'm interested to hear what they sound like!!

I plan on keeping it completely stock lol. I don't think I'll even touch the suspension. Just ride it stock. I'm not sure if I like the three cylinder thing. 4 has worked for such a long time. I'm interested to hear what they sound like!!

4cy are high reving machines that work great on a race track, 3cy just makes more torque and would be more useable and fun on the road