250F 2014 yz250f has what!? Fuel injection?

I think this is the boost Yamaha needs. The 250f is completely revised http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/products/modelvideo/12/1733/0/video.aspx (here is the introduction video by Yamaha). While it took them a few more years to create YFI it is going to make Yamaha riders around the world happy once again. This fall once I got the money I planned on taking my 2010 yz125 (clean) with pro-action revalve, fmf pipe and silencer, vforce3 reed valves, and 3 twin air air filters into my local shop and telling them I'll trade it in and 2500 cash to walk away with a new 2012 or 2013 yz250f. But after seeing this bike. Do you think I could make it 3000 and be able to walk away with it?

James

Staff member
Why go with a bike that is behind the times? Sure they FINALLY have fuel injection however Honda and Kawi have already had it for a few years and have been able to refine it by now.

Why go with a bike that is behind the times? Sure they FINALLY have fuel injection however Honda and Kawi have already had it for a few years and have been able to refine it by now.
Everything looks so centralized. And They have had to have a few years of R&D because of how long it took. I think lol

nothing wrong with a bike that has a carb. Factory KTM still uses a carb on the baja bikes. It is the KISS system. Lot less electronics to fail. I dont know why they would turn the motor around on the 250 after all the races said they hated it on the 450. Seems like they are shooting their-selves in the foot. Especially with the desert guys.

James

Staff member
Everything looks so centralized. And They have had to have a few years of R&D because of how long it took. I think lol

As did the others. However what sets the others apart is that they've also had a couple years of real world testing by now (and learned from it). The perfect example of that is the upstream (air box/boot) jet that Kawi put in to address some power issues.

In short, I wouldn't run a first year EFI bike.

As did the others. However what sets the others apart is that they've also had a couple years of real world testing by now (and learned from it). The perfect example of that is the upstream (air box/boot) jet that Kawi put in to address some power issues.

I guess that's a good point. But, coming off of a 125 I think I will want mid to top power instead of the 12's low to mid power. Fuel injection looks a little scary to work on though. If I got the 12 could I put a slip on (preferably fmf) exhaust on it to change the rpm range or would I have to make the camshaft lobes bigger?

I guess that's a good point. But, coming off of a 125 I think I will want mid to top power instead of the 12's low to mid power. Fuel injection looks a little scary to work on though. If I got the 12 could I put a slip on (preferably fmf) exhaust on it to change the rpm range or would I have to make the camshaft lobes bigger?

If you think the 250F is a step up from your 125 you are going to be disappointed. Your thought process is a little skewed if you think the 250 F is going to make more top end power than your 125. Yes it does make more power but there are other things that come with it. Added weight, Slower Revving, some engine braking, just to name a few.

Not sure what you are going for but a 144 kit in your 125 will give you 250F performance at a smaller price.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIpiuu8kSUs
this kind of changed my mind I'll go 2013/12. And Brock I know its not a whole lot more power its only about 5hp. But I'm more comfortable with 4 strokes because I know how to work on them and although they are not faster they are easier to ride and therefore I can ride longer at the same/faster pace. I can lug the bike through corners where the 125 I have to be in the perfect rpm range in the right gear. :thumb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIpiuu8kSUs
this kind of changed my mind I'll go 2013/12. And Brock I know its not a whole lot more power its only about 5hp. But I'm more comfortable with 4 strokes because I know how to work on them and although they are not faster they are easier to ride and therefore I can ride longer at the same/faster pace. I can lug the bike through corners where the 125 I have to be in the perfect rpm range in the right gear. :thumb:

My original post still applies. You would be amazed to what a big bore kit can do to your 125. I own a 250F and although I love it I wish I had a two stroke.

I am thinking about putting the 310 kit in mine and adding a 6 speed. PLUS two strokes make you a better rider, because you have to actually ride the motorcycle. Nothing wrong with having to be in the right gear and the right RPM. That just means you are on point every lap.

just because its new on the 250f doesn't mean its new to yamaha. Yamaha has had fuel injected quads since about 08, they know how to build an efi system.
That and unlike Kawi, Suzi, and Honda, the first year yamaha 250f didn't try to destroy itself.
Just sayin yamaha has a pretty good track record when it comes to building a reliable bike.
I'm sad to see the 5 valve go, imo the 06-09 yz's were some of the best budget desert bikes ever built. These 2 new yz's will be mx only with the hidden gas cap.
I hope the WR250F gets the same treatment the WR450F did

My original post still applies. You would be amazed to what a big bore kit can do to your 125. I own a 250F and although I love it I wish I had a two stroke.

I am thinking about putting the 310 kit in mine and adding a 6 speed. PLUS two strokes make you a better rider, because you have to actually ride the motorcycle. Nothing wrong with having to be in the right gear and the right RPM. That just means you are on point every lap.
Yeah but I want the reliability of a 4 stroke and Yamaha definitely offers that. I have had my 125 for two years now this year will be my third and I just want to upgrade. I don't want to rebuild the damn thing twice a year. I want to ride it in the summer. Take apart and clean in the winter. Not clean in the winter, get two rides in, Rebuild my fork seals, ride 8 more times, replace top end, ride one more time, store for the winter. Yeah a 125 would be nice to keep but I only have the money for one bike.

Yeah but I want the reliability of a 4 stroke and Yamaha definitely offers that. I have had my 125 for two years now this year will be my third and I just want to upgrade. I don't want to rebuild the damn thing twice a year. I want to ride it in the summer. Take apart and clean in the winter. Not clean in the winter, get two rides in, Rebuild my fork seals, ride 8 more times, replace top end, ride one more time, store for the winter. Yeah a 125 would be nice to keep but I only have the money for one bike.

User Error....Thats why she grenaded on you multiple times.