450F 2012 wr450f

I just do not understand why they do not make a couple of small additions and make it street legal. :thinking: If the others are doing it then what is the problem? That is the main reason I bought my bike, because of the plate, and because it is a great bike of course. But, I had my YZ 450 for 6 years before this and who knows-----

Just think how handy they would be when your making a block pass, and stuffing it into a corner. :devil:

The horn is the must have track accessory. That way it can be a block pass with a beep, beep...

I just do not understand why they do not make a couple of small additions and make it street legal. :thinking: If the others are doing it then what is the problem? That is the main reason I bought my bike, because of the plate, and because it is a great bike of course. But, I had my YZ 450 for 6 years before this and who knows-----

From an emissions standpoint the non FI 2010 version almost met the on road standard. It missed the HC+NOx with a reading of 0.9 when the on road standard was 0.8. You would think that the 2011 FI version will be a little better. All they would need is some upgraded evaporative emissions and it could be a street bike. Well that and an electrical system with signals, stop light, etc.

I think that the real reason are the warranty requirements. You see there is a mandated emissions warranty on any street legal vehicle. For motorcycles the minimums are 7500 miles for 50-169cc, 11k miles for 170-279cc and 18k miles for the larger displacement engines. I think this requirement is a big reason the Japanese manufacturers shy away from high performance dual sports. They don't want to be replacing engines because it no longer meets emissions numbers.

That makes sense. 18,000 miles is a lot on a dirt bike. :shocked: They don't want to end up like Toyota. :devil:
The horn is the must have track accessory. That way it can be a block pass with a beep, beep...

From an emissions standpoint the non FI 2010 version almost met the on road standard. It missed the HC+NOx with a reading of 0.9 when the on road standard was 0.8. You would think that the 2011 FI version will be a little better. All they would need is some upgraded evaporative emissions and it could be a street bike. Well that and an electrical system with signals, stop light, etc.

I think that the real reason are the warranty requirements. You see there is a mandated emissions warranty on any street legal vehicle. For motorcycles the minimums are 7500 miles for 50-169cc, 11k miles for 170-279cc and 18k miles for the larger displacement engines. I think this requirement is a big reason the Japanese manufacturers shy away from high performance dual sports. They don't want to be replacing engines because it no longer meets emissions numbers.