RM-Z250 2012 Suzuki RM-Z 250 top end help

Ok so this is my first ever bike and I got it for a hell of a steal (or so I think). I bought it from my local mechanic for $1,000, the entire engine is apart and he has a brand new bottom end rebuild and top end rebuild for it and got that for $900 (Hot rods bottom end and wiseco piston). All I have to do is buy a new head and a new intake cam and then assemble the whole thing. The exhaust cam is perfectly fine but the intake cam has deep grooves in it, the cams are Pro Circuit stage 2 cams which say 338-PC1 05-12 and 338-PC2 05-12 on them and I can't find a intake cam that seems to be the same?? So I was wondering if I could slap either a Hot Cams stage 2 intake cam into it or just get a whole stage 2 Hot Cams set and use that? I kinda would like to put stock cams in it but at the same time I dont want to mess with that and I’d have to get a new tune because the bike is fuel injected and it was tuned for stage two cams. I really don't know what is the best or most cost effective option here or what would work and what wouldn't work. I have a basic understanding of engines and stuff like that but when it comes to comparing two different brands that I've never delt with I don't know what would be the best approach. So if any of you guys know what would work or be the best option that would be great and I would appreciate it so much.
And from what I'm away of the bike has tusk wheels, renthal bar, full titanium yoshimira rs-4 duplex chamber exhaust on it, possibly new brakes and suspension?? But it was definitely a hell of a deal of a bike and I'll show it what it all has (to my knowledge) whenever I get the chance!

SRAD97750

Staff member
Nice find! Bike in a box is a great way to get into wrenching on dirtbikes.
You can get stock cams or aftermarket cams, but they have to match.
If the bike doesn't have an aftermarket CDI, then it is probably running the stock fuel/ignition mapping.
-BIG DAN:thumb:

IMG_3628.jpegIm not to sure if this is a stock one or an aftermarket one? I feel like this is probably a stock one but yet again i could be wrong.
Also I kind of figured that I couldnt use two separate brands, i just didn’t know how different the two brands were when it came to that

These are most of the parts that came with it

Attachments

• IMG_3617.jpeg
    IMG_3617.jpeg
    524.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3616.jpeg
    IMG_3616.jpeg
    658.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3615.jpeg
    IMG_3615.jpeg
    458.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3614.jpeg
    IMG_3614.jpeg
    549.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3613.jpeg
    IMG_3613.jpeg
    513 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3611.jpeg
    IMG_3611.jpeg
    435.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3610.jpeg
    IMG_3610.jpeg
    456.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3586.jpeg
    IMG_3586.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6
I read you got the bike for 1k then you had to buy $900 top and bottom? Does that include a new cylinder? Also you have to buy at least 1 cam and head? What of the existing valves? After timing chain, gaskets etc (special tools) you may have gotten hosed by this "mechanic". If this was a moneymaker he would have built the thing himself in an afternoon and sold it as a runner for ~3k, which is what they are going for here, and what you will surely have in it when you're finished. Of course, knowledge is priceless and if you have that when you're finished, you're ahead, just not financially:prof:

I read you got the bike for 1k then you had to buy $900 top and bottom? Does that include a new cylinder? Also you have to buy at least 1 cam and head? What of the existing valves? After timing chain, gaskets etc (special tools) you may have gotten hosed by this "mechanic". If this was a moneymaker he would have built the thing himself in an afternoon and sold it as a runner for ~3k, which is what they are going for here, and what you will surely have in it when you're finished. Of course, knowledge is priceless and if you have that when you're finished, you're ahead, just not financially:prof:
No no no I bought the bike and he had bought a $900 top and bottom end kit for it and the cylinder is perfect no scratches and still crosshatching, he only wanted $100. So a little back story on the bike, my local mechanic (he's ran his own shop for years and years and now he works at pendot and works at the shop on the weekends) had this bike brought in because it well needed a new crank and cylinder head. The mechanic tore everything down, bought the top and bottom end for the bike and then he got a call from the dude saying he couldn't pay for the repairs so the bike just sat in the shop for 4 years. And because of the whole mechanical lien well the bike became the mechanics and he had no use for it so that's why he let it sit. Then I started coming by his shop here and there so I could help out and basically shadow him and then he offered me the bike for $1,000 because he had no use for it and he wanted to clean out his shop. And I have no clue what the existing valves are but I'll check here in a few days when I've got the time. It also came with all of the gaskets and he lets me borrow tools if I need them from time to time and he's even offered to give me some pointers when I'm rebuilding it. He doesn't have much time on his hands because he is always working so even if he wanted to he probably wouldn't have time to rebuild it. I only need the three things which all together is probably going to be around $1,250 maybe more maybe less.

Yeah thats a pretty good deal then! I'm always on the hunt for non runners, and hard starters that I can get for cheap. Not much on "bike in a box" though I like to be the one doing the teardown. Good luck and keep us posted

Yeah thats a pretty good deal then! I'm always on the hunt for non runners, and hard starters that I can get for cheap. Not much on "bike in a box" though I like to be the one doing the teardown. Good luck and keep us posted
I'm going to be honest with you, I'm to much into a bike in a box either but I figured it was an amazing opportunity for me and a great way to learn the bike and get started on this stuff. I'll keep y'all updated as best as I can but this bike is going to be a winter project kind of bike so I'm not going to rush through it. I will be hopefully building up the bottom end here in a couple days so everything is prepped for me to just throw on a head and cams

Heres how mine is going
G8XzFD9.jpg

image.jpgOk so i just found out that this head is ported too and i have no clue what ported head i should get or anything because i have almost literally no background on this or my local mechanic. This is the only cam journal that is damaged, it doesnt have deep deep grooves so i was wondering if there was any sort of way to repair these? I know there probably isnt but its worth a shot to see

Im not seeing any marking on the valves so im not to sure, but the head is only ported on the intake sideimage.jpg

Intake porting isnt going to matter. Im not seeing a lot of head damage beyond the cam journal. If the cam sits in tight I dont know if I would worry about it. I am curious as to what happened behind the bearing race that could do that. BeCu seats look ok. Whats up with the intake valve guides? They look weird in the pic