250F 2012 kx250f

Those "add ons" do help if you take your bike out of second gear.

:prof: Getting the holeshot doesn't automatically give you the win but it sure as hell helps.

Well than I guess rack won't want it since they won't be useful to him!

Pretty much what Jax said... CDA and I had a discussion about a week or 2 ago when talking about the KX450... They are taking the rider out of the eqaution. I think an average price for a 450 is around 9k now... in 1989 I bought 2 RM250s for 3k each...I think my 99 KX was 4300 brand new.

:picard:

how much is this kx going to cost?
the 2011 YZ450F has a sticker of 8150

I like the new bike. Hopefully they resolved the motor issues on the 11's. I have a good amount of hours on my 11 and nothing bad yet (knock on wood). They are great bikes. It's too bad they make these bikes nicer and nice and nicer every year, it has always been like that but with new technology from suspension and fuel injection. Everyone wants to have the latest and greatest.

:ride:

James

Staff member
Pretty much what Jax said... CDA and I had a discussion about a week or 2 ago when talking about the KX450... They are taking the rider out of the eqaution. I think an average price for a 450 is around 9k now... in 1989 I bought 2 RM250s for 3k each...I think my 99 KX was 4300 brand new.
Everything's always changing and nothing will stop that. Heck I'm willing to bet that there were people bitching about how "modern" your 89 RM250 was back in 89. Same with your KX in 99. :P

BTW your 89 RM250 would've cost around $5,700 in today's money (due to inflation). So a new 2012 KX450 would cost roughly $2,700 more and I'm guessing that that's thanks to all the extra R & D. :noidea: Also we're comparing apples to oranges here (2 vs 4).

James

Staff member
I think he is referring to every year they put more crap on the bike that takes less skills involved to ride. Lets see :thinking: Hole shot device, computer curved ignition timing for take offs, rekluse clutches, steering stabilizers, it just keeps on going and the bike will be completely automatics with power steering and air conditioning :lol: Put the bike back in the hands of the men and let the boys stay at home :prof:
Not denying that those things exist, nor that they do help, however I wasn't aware of STOCK mx bikes having those? (with the exception of the optional ignition maps)

I don't have a slipper clutch, holeshot device, or steering stabilizer on my bike but I don't care if somebody else does. I will draw the line at traction control though. :lol: When that finally arrives I think it's time to throw in the towel. :rant: (Yes I said "when" on purpose. :foul:)

Everything's always changing and nothing will stop that. Heck I'm willing to bet that there were people bitching about how "modern" your 89 RM250 was back in 89. Same with your KX in 99. :P

BTW your 89 RM250 would've cost around $5,700 in today's money (due to inflation). So a new 2012 KX450 would cost roughly $2,700 more and I'm guessing that that's thanks to all the extra R & D. :noidea: Also we're comparing apples to oranges here (2 vs 4).

Not really. The big upset was water cooling back in 79 and 80... other than that not much else except for some suspension and the additon of powervalves... 4ts added a ton more of R&D cost..

. I will draw the line at traction control though. :lol: When that finally arrives I think it's time to throw in the towel. :rant: (Yes I said "when" on purpose. :foul:)

Its here... what do you think is on the new 2012 KX4fiddy? it remaps the igniton and inj for less wheel spin...

Not really. The big upset was water cooling back in 79 and 80... other than that not much else except for some suspension and the additon of powervalves... 4ts added a ton more of R&D cost..

Its here... what do you think is on the new 2012 KX4fiddy? it remaps the igniton and inj for less wheel spin...

wasnt' there a big stink at one of the sx races where Bubba's team was accused of traction control?
which is against AMA pro rules?

wasnt' there a big stink at one of the sx races where Bubba's team was accused of traction control?
which is against AMA pro rules?

Yes sir there was.... It was an actual device used to record wheel revolutions vs RPM and gear selection along with a gps unit... :naughty:

James

Staff member
additon of powervalves.
:shocked: Powervalves? Damn that was almost like cheating if you race against somebody without them. :naughty:

I'd say it's all about what we grew up to and what we're accustom to. I personally don't think that they're taking the rider at of the equation (on a STOCK bike), times are just changing and so are the bikes. For example look at suspension, were you hitting 90-100 foot triples on your 89 rm250? I'm guessing you weren't, however now it's nothing thanks to "modern" suspension. :lol: You still need the balls to do it though and I don't see how that can be eliminated. :noidea:

Did FI make the bikes faster? uhh most likely. Are they easier to ride? Probably, thanks to no more bog. However that translates into faster laptimes for everybody. You'll still have the same battles, it'll just be at a faster pace. Which if you stop and think about it, makes it even more dangerous (higher speed :crash:)

I never heard of ignition maps that act like traction control, they just move/reduce your power. Sure it'll reduce wheel spin but that's because it took away the power. BTW the power reduction isn't "on the fly" like real traction control, but constant. Might as well jump on a 350. :P

James

Staff member
Yes sir there was.... It was an actual device used to record wheel revolutions vs RPM and gear selection along with a gps unit... :naughty:
What's your source or is that just speculation/hearsay?

:lol: Not that I think you're way off.

:shocked: Powervalves? Damn that was almost like cheating if you race against somebody without them. :naughty:

I'd say it's all about what we grew up to and what we're accustom to. I personally don't think that they're taking the rider at of the equation (on a STOCK bike), times are just changing and so are the bikes. For example look at suspension, were you hitting 90-100 foot triples on your 89 rm250? I'm guessing you weren't, however now it's nothing thanks to "modern" suspension. :lol: You still need the balls to do it though and I don't see how that can be eliminated. :noidea:

Did FI make the bikes faster? uhh most likely. Are they easier to ride? Probably, thanks to no more bog. However that translates into faster laptimes for everybody. You'll still have the same battles, it'll just be at a faster pace. Which if you stop and think about it, makes it even more dangerous (higher speed :crash:)

I never heard of ignition maps that act like traction control, they just move/reduce your power. Sure it'll reduce wheel spin but that's because it took away the power. BTW the power reduction isn't "on the fly" like real traction control, but constant. Might as well jump on a 350. :P

90ft and even 100ft triples were pretty much the norm especially when the winter am series/florida series was rollin. usually set up as a quads with a dble double... FI made the throttle response smoother and I do welcome FI with open arms and I saw it as a benefit with the 4 strokes period.. especially since my next brand new bike will probably be a new RMZ...

I guess I would just hate to see it end up like AMA road racing... My buddy used to be able to make a living racing pro. Nowadays he can't keep up with the pro team budgets and gizmos.. for example Team Suzuki's fuel expense for Daytona is twice what his racing budget is for the year..

What's your source or is that just speculation/hearsay?

:lol: Not that I think you're way off.

I have friends that race AMA superbike and sport bike classes. Team Yammi uses the same setup on their 600's since traction control is illegal in the 600 class

Oh I suppose ypure gonna complain about direct inject too. Well if you dont like technology you can always ride a busted ass no suspension 500 pounder! Ha ha ha