150F/230F 2003 CRF150f idle question

SRAD97750

Staff member
Got the carb off and cleaned. Idle jet was blocked. When we started the bike later it sounded like it was full throttle. What in the world did I do wrong ? Def not idling right. Sounded high rev at full choke and choke off.
Throttle slide/cable. Somewhere it's hung up, idle screw set too high, or a cable is routed too tightly.
I suspect it's an easy fix.-BIG DAN:thumb:

first thing, back the idle screw all the way out, and then make sure the slide is closing all the way. if someone was trying to make up for the pilot jet with by setting the idle screw it is now trying to idle at about 3000

first thing, back the idle screw all the way out, and then make sure the slide is closing all the way. if someone was trying to make up for the pilot jet with by setting the idle screw it is now trying to idle at about 3000
That's exactly what I thought later on. We got the throttle cable fixed and it was still idling a little high but nothing like it was doing at first. Gonna check it out this afternoon.

Last edited:
Messed with idle screw. No dice. Still idles too high no matter how far I turn it out. Here are pics of the carb. I only see one adjustment screw and it's for idle right? Screw on bottom (right side ) let's fuel out carb. Do we need to take the carb off and check everything again? On the pic of inside of carb (pre cleaning ) the screw to the far back is the fuel screw? I'm wondering if we set it too far out. It was set around 1 1/4 turns initially but may have went out further than that.

Attachments

• 2016-01-22_01-49-27.jpg
    2016-01-22_01-49-27.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 2016-01-22_01-49-16.jpg
    2016-01-22_01-49-16.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 2016-01-22_01-51-07.jpg
    2016-01-22_01-51-07.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 6
Messed with idle screw. No dice. Still idles too high no matter how far I turn it out. Here are pics of the carb. I only see one adjustment screw and it's for idle right? Screw on bottom (right side ) let's fuel out carb. Do we need to take the carb off and check everything again? On the pic of inside of carb (pre cleaning ) the screw to the far back is the fuel screw? I'm wondering if we set it too far out. It was set around 1 1/4 turns initially but may have went out further than that.

The only time that having the fuel screw turned too far out making for a high idle is if you have a very large air leak. Try turning it out a little and see what happens. You may have a small air leak where the carburetor connects to the cylinder.

Backed the fuel screw out some. Idle sounds better. I don't know the technical term it sounded like it "misses" or hesitates for a bit while warming up. We will play with it more in a few days. Getting our annual "blizzard" here. A.k.a. 2 to 3 inches of snow and ice. Too dang cold in the garage to work right now.

Oh and I did finally see where the fuel screw can be accessed without taking carb off. It's just hard to get to. Lower back on the cylinder side. Couldn't see it until we took it all off.

Looking at the pic that shows the cable, it looks like it may not be seated.
I think when i took that picture it was before we took the carb off the second time and double checked everything. Most recent update is that it is idling much better as far as it's not sounding like it's trying to take off into outerspace. There is an occasional "hesitation" and I'm not sure if that was there before we messed with the fuel screw because when we first got the bike it wouldn't idle at all, then throttle cable was stuck. LOL. big learning curve here...

Fuel screw currently set at 3 turns out. From what I've read that usually suggests a larger pilot jet is needed. is that right?