150F/230F 2003 CRF150f idle question

So we found a '03 CRF150F on craigs list from someone not far from us. Not too many in our area for sale and we've been looking for a few months. We wanted a "play bike" for my husband to ride behind our house. The riding area is small, but heavily wooded and tight trails. we wanted something more mellow than the RMZ. But also thought the bike could be something I would ride eventually, or just keep it as a spare bike. But for an "everyday" rider, it's a heavy pig. I think it's heavier than the RMZ...

We went to check the bike out and it starts on one or two kicks from cold start. But it won't idle. you have to keep on the throttle or it cuts off. We offered lower $$$ thinking we can have this bike for a project and got it for a very good price. It's in decent shape, but needs new grips, maybe new plastics, a few other things to clean it up nicely.

Does this possibly sound like an issue with the carb? Spark plug is brand new. We haven't taken the carb off yet to clean it. We were able to ride it and go through the gears, but it's definitely not happy in the lower RPMs.

Also, do you guys re-jet in colder temps? We're having lower than normal temps here in the carolinas. nothing crazy, 30's for highs for awhile now. just wondering if that affects things.

it needsd to have the idle turned up by turning the screw on the side of the carb or most likely it has a plugged pilot jet from sitting too long. Pilot is in the carb bowl and the carb will need to be removed to clean it. It is easy to do. Use a single piece of copper wire from a small wire like used in a trailer stop lamp wire. Stick it in there from both ends and it will get the plug out. Or you can pull it out get the size and put a new one in for $5.

it needsd to have the idle turned up by turning the screw on the side of the carb or most likely it has a plugged pilot jet from sitting too long. Pilot is in the carb bowl and the carb will need to be removed to clean it. It is easy to do. Use a single piece of copper wire from a small wire like used in a trailer stop lamp wire. Stick it in there from both ends and it will get the plug out. Or you can pull it out get the size and put a new one in for $5.
The lady that owned the bike said her son rode it 3 months ago and put it away in the garage. When we went to look the fuel was "on" and she had not messed with the bike atall. We kinda figured there would be some issues. It sounds pretty straight forward to clean. I can't find specifics on this bike on how far the screw needs to be turned. I've read anything from 1 3/4 to 2 1/2. I guess I start lower and see how it goes?

out is richer, in is leaner, you can see if you affect a change with the needle. each time you find a happy spot, turn the screw in all the way counting the turns and write that down. it makes it easier to return to and have an idea of whether your jet is too small or large. there IS NOT a magic number

that year will take the same internal parts as the 230 and can become something in the neighborhood of a 250. best bike I know for doing stoppies.

I was talking about the idle screw, sounds like ossa is talking about the fuel screw...not sure which screw you were talking about...so, the idle screw will be on the side of the carb near the slide, the fuel screw is usually under the carb near the front side close to the motor

Carolina, I didnt answer one of your questions. I DO rejet for colder weather. Honda manuals give you a table to do that if you have the shop version. The thing is that I rejet for 40-60f degree changes and when it drops under 28 or so the air really gets lots drier where I live. To get one to start it isn't uncommon to see me turn the fuel screw out two full turns and then readjust once the rig is running. on a two stroke I commonly turn one in until the needle hits it's seat and then turn it out 1/8 of a turn until started.

I was talking about the idle screw, sounds like ossa is talking about the fuel screw...not sure which screw you were talking about...so, the idle screw will be on the side of the carb near the slide, the fuel screw is usually under the carb near the front side close to the motor
Thanks for the help! I will update when we have the bike singing. :)

Last edited:
Clean that carb 2 times and then clean it again. Put fresh fuel in it and it should run forever and ever. Honda's basic motors like the 150 100 80's etcetc are just built to last and meant to hand down from one member of the family to another. Almost nothing ever breaks on them. Has tires and oil is all you'll ever use on a bike like that.

Got the carb off and cleaned. Idle jet was blocked. When we started the bike later it sounded like it was full throttle. What in the world did I do wrong ? Def not idling right. Sounded high rev at full choke and choke off.