2 Stroke 2003 CR 250 Electrical Issues ( No Spark ) I need some input

Camp, t hanks for posting the schematic on your peak voltage adaptor. I think I need one.

After some further thought, and if it hasnt crossed your mind yet, try disconnecting the motor/servo that operates your power valves. It is about the only place I can think of other than the rectifier/regulator that you could be losing power from something that by all rights should be making it.

Camp, t hanks for posting the schematic on your peak voltage adaptor. I think I need one.

After some further thought, and if it hasnt crossed your mind yet, try disconnecting the motor/servo that operates your power valves. It is about the only place I can think of other than the rectifier/regulator that you could be losing power from something that by all rights should be making it.

No problem about the schematic, a lot better than spending 125 on one.

An update to the thread, I found a local guy that had an 02 CR 250 that let me test my CDI in his bike. Well it fired right up! Good news and bad news. However the last thing I thought it could would be the stator and he had a new one for $100 so I bought it and put it in this morning. Still no spark. I then pulled my coil off and kind of rigged it up on my YZ just double check and it. The CR coil on the YZ put out a bright blue spark! I then pulled the wire harness off and checked continuity again between all wires and also made sure they didn't have continuity with wires they weren't supposed too, while I was doing this I was bending the harness in all different directions as well. I then checked all plugs and connectors everything is very clean and secure no loose wires or pins. There must be something I am missing. It is driving me crazy. So all in all my CDI is good, stator is good, coil is good, as far as I can tell all of the wiring is good. I however have not unbolted the motor to clean the grounds but the bike is super clean so I don't know if I should do that or not. WHAT AM I MISSING?!?! I'm so lost with this bike and I am usually very mechanically inclined! Anyways thanks for all of the help so far, this has been a great forum.

Just to clarify, this one has not run since you bought it?
Correct it hasn't ran since I got it, the guy said he raced it in 2011 and then put it in the garage, I have no real reason to believe that he didn't. We spoke multiple times and he told me all of the little flaws with both bikes and then drove 4 hours to meet me. He knew I was going to inspect them when he got here. I did inspect them as far as compression and fluids. They were stored with no fuel in them, I knew I would have to clean carbs before I tried to fire them up and never thought about checking for spark DOH!!

Well I tried it without RC valve and there is no change.

Grasping was about all I was doing. You tried your cdi on his rig and it worked. Did you try your rectifier?

Kind of ironic to find that the factory race teams use a new wiring harness each race. Seems they pressure wash. And yours was really clean!

Grasping was about all I was doing. You tried your cdi on his rig and it worked. Did you try your rectifier?

Kind of ironic to find that the factory race teams use a new wiring harness each race. Seems they pressure wash. And yours was really clean!
I did not try the rectifier, what does it do?

The rectifier is like a oneway valve allowing the current to go one way if my memory is working. This one also acts as a regulator. The reason I mention the loom or harness is the possibility you have one wire bleeding to another. They still show continuity.

The rectifier is like a oneway valve allowing the current to go one way if my memory is working. This one also acts as a regulator. The reason I mention the loom or harness is the possibility you have one wire bleeding to another. They still show continuity.
Wouldn't it have continuity with another pin or plug if that was happening? I did check from each wire to all other pins to make sure I didn't have any continuity between the other wires that weren't supposed to. I was thinking about unwrapping the whole harness to check. I thought that my tests today would have told me if there were any bad wires but I'm not real sure. I may do that later. Do you think it would help to run a ground strap from the frame to the motor mounts on the head just to check for that?

I like the idea of the test ground. You are being thorough. As unscientific as it is you may end up buying dinner for the man with the 2002 and swapping piece by piece.

Last edited:
I like the idea of the test ground. You are being thorough. As unscientific as it is you may end up buying dinner for the man with the 2002 and swapping piece by piece.

ITS ALIVE!

I got it to start with a ground strap from the head stays to the coil ground, so I ended up pulling the head stays off again and hitting them with a flap disc on a grinder and sanded the head stays down again. So after all it was a ground problem. I should have listened sooner! Thanks again for all of the help.

ITS ALIVE!

I got it to start with a ground strap from the head stays to the coil ground, so I ended up pulling the head stays off again and hitting them with a flap disc on a grinder and sanded the head stays down again. So after all it was a ground problem. I should have listened sooner! Thanks again for all of the help.

:prof:

We have an unwritten rule here at DBA when this happens.
You need to go back to the original poster that told you it was a grounding issue and you send them a case of beer or some dirtbike swag.
It's pretty cheap considering a dealer will charge you $110 an hour to do this. :thumb: