2 Stroke 2003 CR 250 Electrical Issues ( No Spark ) I need some input

I recently acquired a 2003 CR 250 that has been sitting for about the last 5 years. The bike itself is in decent shape and supposedly ran when it was stored. It was stored with no fuel in the bike or the carb. I did go ahead pull the carb off and go through all of it. After I put the carb back on I realized it didn't have any spark. I went through the manual and tested everything. I am a little confused on some of the numbers I got. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am leaning towards needing a new CDI but I don't know for sure.

How it looked when I got it.
CR250 1.jpg

How it looks right now. LOL
today.jpg
Here are the results I got when testing the bike.

Ignition coil Peak voltage - tested bad??
100V minimum - .485 ( I thought this was okay at first but I guess .485 is not 485)

Ignition pulse generator peak voltage - tested good
.7v minimum- tested .9

Ignition coil-tested ?? Maybe bad ( is 10K correct )
Primary .1-.3 ohms - tested .4
Secondary 9-16 ohms - tested 10k??

Alternator coil- tested good
Standard .5 - 4 ohm- tested 1.8-2.3

Ignition pulse generator- maybe bad?? ( Is .241K the same as 241)
Standard 180-280 ohm- .241K ?? At both plugs 4p

Kill switch - tested good
Continuity when button pushed

Regulator - tested good
Standard 5v minimum - tested 7v
Continuity between plug 4p and ecm8p -

So far on a cr honda from the 80's to 2004 the only component I have had go weak is the stator. No coils or cdi's that didnt get crash damage.

SRAD97750

Staff member
Hello. :wave: Just a couple first-step questions.
New spark plug/s? I have pulled an NGK bad out of a box of 4. :noidea:
Testing for spark against a bare aluminum surface?
Certain all connectors from the motor are tight and no loose pins in the connectors?

...coils almost never go bad from my experience.
the only component I have had go weak is the stator. No coils or cdi's...
...I have never had any electrical stuff go bad, myself...
You are starting in the right direction
...besides the kill switch it's the only thing I have ever seen go bad on a dirtbike.
I've seen kill switches do strange things, and stators burn out.
I have seen misaligned pickup coils or incorrect-year flywheels causing no spark.
But never a CDI or coil failure. I've worked on maybe ~15 motorcycles that "needed a CDI." :smirk: None of them ever did!
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Hello. :wave: Just a couple first-step questions.
New spark plug/s? I have pulled an NGK bad out of a box of 4. :noidea:
Testing for spark against a bare aluminum surface?
Certain all connectors from the motor are tight and no loose pins in the connectors?

I've seen kill switches do strange things, and stators burn out.
I have seen misaligned pickup coils or incorrect-year flywheels causing no spark.
But never a CDI or coil failure. I've worked on maybe ~15 motorcycles that "needed a CDI." :smirk: None of them ever did!
-BIG DAN:thumb:

Thanks Dan, I have tested 3 new plugs. The alternator and coil test good but I still have very low peak voltage. I also went through the whole harness testing plugs and pins I have continuity everywhere that I should. The only thing I can think of is the CDI because the manual says if everything else test good to replace the CDI. It will sure suck if I buy one and it doesn't help!

Thanks Dan, I have tested 3 new plugs. The alternator and coil test good but I still have very low peak voltage. I also went through the whole harness testing plugs and pins I have continuity everywhere that I should. The only thing I can think of is the CDI because the manual says if everything else test good to replace the CDI. It will sure suck if I buy one and it doesn't help!

Did you disconnect the kill switch and try kicking it over then? Like big Dan said, it may test fine but it may be grounding out just enough. Had that problem on my 81 rm last year.

So on my coil with it testing at 10K when the manual says 9-16, is that ok. It seems to be off x1000. I did read some other posts where people are testing and getting 10k and there coil is working fine. My question now is, if a coil and alternator test good can they still be bad. I went back through everything last night and tested all plugs and pins and all wires for continuity where they are supposed to have it. I can not find anything wrong based on the manual other than peak voltage, and that seems to be like it would be a CDI.