2 Or 4 Stroke?

Hey all, sorry if this has already been discussed before. But what do you like best 2 or 4 strokes. I have 1 of each and i lean toward the 2s. The 4s sounds like a loud fart. :smirk:

2 stroke because...
-i cant't affort to repair a 250f
-I don't want a bike that feels like it is dragging a boat anchor behind it
-I ride too slow to keep a thumper cool...:banana:

4 strokes because they are faster and just as cheap to repair if you realize you need fixing before it goes ka-blam

EDIT: but i have no problem with 2 strokes :)

4 strokes because they are faster and just as cheap to repair if you realize you need fixing before it goes ka-blam

:prof::prof: What a goober...

lets compare a top end rebuild (RMATVMC prices)

2010 ktm 250sx -----
gasket kit(pro-x or cometic)---~$30 tusk----~$20
Piston Kit wiseco ~$170 Pro x---~$$120
wrist pin bearing ~$10

2010 ktm250sxf
gasket kit(pro-x or cometic)- ~$50-$70
piston kit wiseco ~$250 Pro X ~$170
Oh, then there are those valves ~$230+
and more, that i don't know or care about... like valve seats, cam chain..blah blah blah...., costs too much for me to own, not a bad bike, just not as cheap...

My worthless take is I prefer 2t's over the 4's but it all depends on what terrain your riding on which is better in an overall outlook. MX is most definetly dominated by 4t's so I would say that they are the better choice for that. XC riding is kind of mixed. The GNCC style races are pretty much all 4T's now but hard enduros and crazyness like the Romanics seem to be 2t heavy along with Endurocross series which is becoming a mixed bag of timing chain/cams versus Powervalves/premix. I believe there is enough room for both the 2 stroke and 4's out there and it would be a shame not to have that choice of choosing one or the other for yourself.

What everyone needs to keep an eye on is the electric bikes that are slowly creeping their way into the scene. Though right now they are somewhat of a novelty bike they will be a contender in the near future once the power supply gets worked out to last and all of the durability concerns are fixed. In all honesty I cant wait for the electric bikes to become a force to be reckoned with. I just see all of the possiblities of new riding areas opening up since there wont be the noise issues to deal with, plus renegade riding will be much easier since you can be in stealth mode while sneaking along lol.:smirk:

i love 2t for the fun factor, how can you beat the rush when you are puttin along in first gear you lean forward and crack her open and get into the powerband?

that and they are easier to work on, not necessarily cheaper, on a 2t you dish out the money gradually in lesser amounts, but on 4t to have to put out a lot of money all at once to get them redone

James

Staff member
:thumb:That and maintenance; change your oil on a regular basis (I do every 3-5 hrs, oil filter everyone time) and also make sure your air filter is clean (I usually clean mine after every ride).
That's probably why it feels like you're dragging an anchor. :P
The 4s sounds like a loud fart. :smirk:
I like my loud "fart" sounding bike. :moon: :smirk:

2 stroke because...
-i cant't affort to repair a 250f
Dragging a anchor? :shocked: Have you had the chance to ride a new four stroke? Sounds like your referring to a XR400.

As far as keeping it cool, once again, I think you are getting modern four strokes confused with a air cooled XR400.

06 yzf250f
05 crf250f
08 ktm 450exc

all hot.... the 250f's were the hottest, because they had the slowest riders...boiling coolant non stop, haha... This is just on a particular riding area near me, at the more open single and double tracks, they do great, but defiantly seem to work the riders allot more than my 200...