2 Or 4 Stroke?

i like two strokes, but i dont think your giving four strokes a chance your allways talking about how much the matinence costs but in my expiriance four strokes dont need rebuilt as often i dont know about the newer race bikes but my 04 crf80f will hold up for +3 years so in the long run you save money:prof:

i like two strokes, but i dont think your giving four strokes a chance your allways talking about how much the matinence costs but in my expiriance four strokes dont need rebuilt as often i dont know about the newer race bikes but my 04 crf80f will hold up for +3 years so in the long run you save money:prof:

I think it has to do with how a bike (either 2 or 4 stroke) is ridden and maintained. I have a buddy that can kill a modern day 4st engine in a hurry because he rides it at a competive level where it is wfo all the time. With that many moving parts and the thing screaming at a very high rpm for an entire moto it's going to wear quickly. On the other hand I have a buddy with a GasGas 300 smoker that has a "Kazillion" hours on the topend and it still reads positive in a compression test. I know I have an XR650R with almost 11k miles with no issues but my smoker needs rebuilding often but it is because how I ride it.

The rebuilds on a modern 4st powerplant is most definetly more costly than the simple little 2t but you do get so much more torque with the 4's along with more usable horsepower. There is good and bad with both of these combustion engines and I think that as long as these little gas/gas-oil powerplants are around there is always going to be the 2/4 war going on between us smelly dirtbikers.:banana:

James

Staff member
I've heard about the Kawi and Suzuki 250F's running hot but that was a few years ago back when Suzuki and Kawi merged and 250F's were identical.
The 04 & 05 250f models were the same minus plastic colors.

The 04 overheats, but the 05 had a couple upgrades on the cooling system. Between that and Engine Ice coolant, no issues for me. :ride:

The 04 & 05 250f models were the same minus plastic colors.

The 04 overheats, but the 05 had a couple upgrades on the cooling system. Between that and Engine Ice coolant, no issues for me. :ride:
Ya that was a weird time for Suzuki and Kawasaki. Do you know exactly what happened? One bought the other out?

I rode some 450s today and I can say that I would love to have one. So I say yay for both. Each has their own advantages and disadvantages

06 yzf250f
05 crf250f
08 ktm 450exc

all hot.... the 250f's were the hottest, because they had the slowest riders...boiling coolant non stop, haha... This is just on a particular riding area near me, at the more open single and double tracks, they do great, but defiantly seem to work the riders allot more than my 200...
You have to remember that gearing for the ride is the key. 4 strokes love to tractor through stuff and if you are geared too high for tight woods, you are going to work the motor and over heat easier. If you can gear it so you can run in a higher gear, then you will be better off.

I have one of each and they both put smiles on my face. They each have their place where they shine. I for one, love the sound my 250 smoker as it sings when cracked wide open across some smooth single track out in the desert and the quick snap when coming over a rise and lofting the bike in the air. Or dropping into a tight turn in a sand wash and feathering the clutch just a little to get that bite to launch yourself down the wash.

Or my 450 stroker, when I am tractoring through basketball size boulders and still blip the throttle to launch yourself up and over a ledge and not worry about the rear popping out on you. Or the smooth power it makes as you are clicking 5th gear and you are up and over the bars sailing along the desert floor.

Ok, I need to stop now or I will have to take a cold shower....:smirk:

2 stroke. I've owned 4 strokes and thought that a 2 stroke would never have the down low pull. Then I went to a KTM demo day and rode the 300XCW(e). I was wrong. At least for the KTM's they pull like a tractor, are light and totally "easier" to ride. At least in the woods. WFO in the desert? Not my style so I can't say.
The down side? RED sticker.
Still, I wouldn't have any other bike for the riding I do. And if it's red sticker season, it's water ski season!!:banana:

James

Staff member
Ya that was a weird time for Suzuki and Kawasaki. Do you know exactly what happened? One bought the other out?
The way I understood it is that they went on a joint 4 stroke venture, one built the engine and the other the chassis. :noidea:
2 thought that a 2 stroke would never have the down low pull. Then I went to a KTM demo day and rode the 300XCW(e). I was wrong. At least for the KTM's they pull like a tractor,
:thumb: I have a buddy with a 125 sx (?) and he said the same thing about it actually having a bottom end, unlike a lot of the 2T's.